converting /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow passwords to /etc/smbpasswd

converting /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow passwords to /etc/smbpasswd

Post by Grant Wallac » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

We have a samba 2.0.6 server running with some W98 clients.
We want our users to authentificate themselves at the server.
the unix password sync works O.K.
My problem is, that right now we have an empty /etc/smbpasswd and an
/etc/shadow
with something like a hundred individual passwords, that we want to
keep.
Is there a tool that converts /etc/passwd and the shadow file to an
smbpasswd file?

thnx
Grant

--
Grant Wallace
http://www.tfh-berlin.de/~wallace

converting /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow passwords to /etc/smbpasswd

Post by Andrew William » Mon, 10 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Use 'update encrypted = yes' as described in
http://home.germany.net/101-69082/encrypt.html (path 3)

> Hi,

> We have a samba 2.0.6 server running with some W98 clients.
> We want our users to authentificate themselves at the server.
> the unix password sync works O.K.
> My problem is, that right now we have an empty /etc/smbpasswd and an
> /etc/shadow
> with something like a hundred individual passwords, that we want to
> keep.
> Is there a tool that converts /etc/passwd and the shadow file to an
> smbpasswd file?

> thnx
> Grant

> --
> Grant Wallace
> http://www.tfh-berlin.de/~wallace

--
Mielipiteet omiani - Opinions personal, facts suspect, especially on my
       http://home.germanynet.de/101-69082/samba.html

1. Converting NT users and groups to /etc/passwd and /etc/group

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a utility I could use on the existing NT box to
generate /etc/passwd and /etc/group like files?

I am in the process of replacing our aging NT server with a Linux box
running samba.  We have MANY users and MANY MANY group assignments.
I'd like to avoid the long tedious process of creating them all
manually on the new server.

Thanks much,

Chris

2. Appartment for rent

3. Shadow Passwords or using a file other then /etc/passwd

4. XRAY Bi-Plane images

5. smbpasswd, /etc/passwd and NT PDC passwd sync

6. Transcriber

7. using /etc/passwd or sync between smbpasswd and passwd possible?

8. Top Ten

9. converting /etc/passwd for samba ?

10. Using /etc/passwd instead of smbpasswd

11. Solaris: HowTo user from /etc/passwd to smbpasswd ?

12. Planning to grow....static IP/VPN..etc etc

13. Event 2021 "Unable to allocate work item" etc etc