Sending PCL to printer via smbclient

Post by Peter McClur » Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I am using smbclient 1.9.17p4a for VOS.  I can connect perfectly to a HP
Laserjet on an NT server.

However, when I print I would like to be able to send PCL commands to the
printer to set page layout, size etc.

Is this possible with smbclient ?

I have got the correct PCL commands from the HP WWW site.

Thanks
Pete McClure

----

Logica UK Ltd
The opinions expressed above may not be those of my employer

Sending PCL to printer via smbclient

Post by Samuel James Liddicot » Sat, 24 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I am using smbclient 1.9.17p4a for VOS.  I can connect perfectly to a HP
>Laserjet on an NT server.

>However, when I print I would like to be able to send PCL commands to the
>printer to set page layout, size etc.

In what way are you planning to send them?

Quote:>Is this possible with smbclient ?

Err..... well you can submit the commands as a print job...

Quote:>I have got the correct PCL commands from the HP WWW site.

Well.... er.. make a file that contains the commands and any other setup
commands and just print it normally via SMBClient.

Sam

Post by Anthony W. Youngma » Mon, 26 Jan 1998 04:00:00

>>I am using smbclient 1.9.17p4a for VOS.  I can connect perfectly to a HP
>>Laserjet on an NT server.

>>However, when I print I would like to be able to send PCL commands to the
>>printer to set page layout, size etc.

>In what way are you planning to send them?

>>Is this possible with smbclient ?

>Err..... well you can submit the commands as a print job...

>>I have got the correct PCL commands from the HP WWW site.

>Well.... er.. make a file that contains the commands and any other setup
>commands and just print it normally via SMBClient.

>Sam

'WARE YOUR LJ CONFIGURATION

We had a load of problems when we first got LJ4s. I'm not sure how it
would work on your setup, but if the LJ can detect an "end-of-job", such
as if it is connected on a network, and the job is received via a
JetDirect card, the "end-of-job" triggers a hard reset. Any setup
commands you send in one job will not have any effect on the following
job unless they hard-change the printer defaults.
Trousers with a single hole in their waistband are topologically equivalent
to a doughnut. These sugarcoated trousers have yet to catch on at fast-food
outlets! (SuperStrings by F. David Peat)

If replying by e-mail please mail wol. Anything else may get missed amongst
the spam.

1. HP 4000 printer PCL printer driver problem

Hi!

I have HP 4000 printer on samba 2.2.3. I can install drivers from samba
on WIn98, WinNt4.0 and Win2000 clients. The problem is that only PCL6 /
PCL5e drivers for Win98 are working o.k. With WinNT and Win2000
everythings works (e.g. printing test page, Word freezes when selecting
PCL driver) sloooow or even freezes application. PostScript driver works
o.k. for all clients.

PCL driver, when installed localy (not automatic download and install
from samba) works o.k.

Any idea why?

Thanx,

Damijan

2. Storing a large number of XML documents

3. Problem printing PCL files with smbclient 2.2.3

4. Drag and Drop Question (2)

5. Sending multiple commands via smbclient

6. Dataset generated in Session_Start - want global dataset

7. printing via smbclient on NT printer

8. Am I the only one with 4 versions on my drive?

9. Help determine why smbclient wont send to printer???

10. Sending printer escape sequence via SAMBA

11. printing via smbclient under Solaris 2.x

12. remote printing via smbclient

13. smbclient across networks via ppp