Roaming Profiles and other assorted Samba weirdness

Roaming Profiles and other assorted Samba weirdness

Post by Ian Eur » Thu, 15 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Well, I was playing with the Samba NTDOM stuff today. Very nice, I was
able to log into my Samba-controlled domain from a W95 station. However,
I can't seem to get the roaming profiles working properly. The Samba
docs mention changing user profile settings in the Passwords control
panel, but I just see the standard multiple user/single machine stuff
there.

I'm also having a very interesting time with the "logon script"
parameter- every time I set it to any value, Samba stops letting me log
on to it's domain. I have not checked to see if I can connect eg to my
home share or not.

My system is running Debian Linux 2.2, kernel 2.2.5, non-smp, samba
2.0.3.

Anyone have any suggestions?

| Ian Eure

| Network Administrator, Cross Sound Appraisal
Company                    |

| "Believe it or not, there's more to being a sysadmin than
rabid         |
| technophilia."         --Annalee Newitz, "Invisible
Heroes"             |

Roaming Profiles and other assorted Samba weirdness

Post by Brad » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

in order for roaming profiles to work, client for ms networks must be the
primary client. On the login script I don't know mine just works.

Brady

Quote:> Well, I was playing with the Samba NTDOM stuff today. Very nice, I was
> able to log into my Samba-controlled domain from a W95 station. However,
> I can't seem to get the roaming profiles working properly. The Samba
> docs mention changing user profile settings in the Passwords control
> panel, but I just see the standard multiple user/single machine stuff
> there.

> I'm also having a very interesting time with the "logon script"
> parameter- every time I set it to any value, Samba stops letting me log
> on to it's domain. I have not checked to see if I can connect eg to my
> home share or not.

> My system is running Debian Linux 2.2, kernel 2.2.5, non-smp, samba
> 2.0.3.

> Anyone have any suggestions?

> --

> | Ian Eure

> | Network Administrator, Cross Sound Appraisal
> Company                    |
> |

> | "Believe it or not, there's more to being a sysadmin than
> rabid         |
> | technophilia."         --Annalee Newitz, "Invisible
> Heroes"             |

Roaming Profiles and other assorted Samba weirdness

Post by Ian Eur » Fri, 16 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Yes, that is the default value for Win95 afaik. Double-checked and that
is what my box is set to.

> in order for roaming profiles to work, client for ms networks must be the
> primary client. On the login script I don't know mine just works.

> Brady

> > Well, I was playing with the Samba NTDOM stuff today. Very nice, I was
> > able to log into my Samba-controlled domain from a W95 station. However,
> > I can't seem to get the roaming profiles working properly. The Samba
> > docs mention changing user profile settings in the Passwords control
> > panel, but I just see the standard multiple user/single machine stuff
> > there.

> > I'm also having a very interesting time with the "logon script"
> > parameter- every time I set it to any value, Samba stops letting me log
> > on to it's domain. I have not checked to see if I can connect eg to my
> > home share or not.

> > My system is running Debian Linux 2.2, kernel 2.2.5, non-smp, samba
> > 2.0.3.

> > Anyone have any suggestions?

| Ian Eure

| Network Administrator, Cross Sound Appraisal
Company                    |

| "Believe it or not, there's more to being a sysadmin than
rabid         |
| technophilia."         --Annalee Newitz, "Invisible
Heroes"             |

Roaming Profiles and other assorted Samba weirdness

Post by Marc » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

did you define the [netlogon] share?

Ian Eure schrieb:

> Well, I was playing with the Samba NTDOM stuff today. Very nice, I was
> able to log into my Samba-controlled domain from a W95 station. However,
> I can't seem to get the roaming profiles working properly. The Samba
> docs mention changing user profile settings in the Passwords control
> panel, but I just see the standard multiple user/single machine stuff
> there.

> I'm also having a very interesting time with the "logon script"
> parameter- every time I set it to any value, Samba stops letting me log
> on to it's domain. I have not checked to see if I can connect eg to my
> home share or not.

> My system is running Debian Linux 2.2, kernel 2.2.5, non-smp, samba
> 2.0.3.

> Anyone have any suggestions?

> --
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | Ian Eure

> | Network Administrator, Cross Sound Appraisal
> Company                    |
> |

> | "Believe it or not, there's more to being a sysadmin than
> rabid         |
> | technophilia."         --Annalee Newitz, "Invisible
> Heroes"             |
> +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+

1. Outlook XP w/contacts for roaming users w/o roaming profiles?

It seems reasonable that in this new millennium a user should be able to
create local contacts, use them when creating email, and have that
capability follow the user from workstation to workstation.

But this is not the default setup!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully someone in this NG has figured this out.

SBS2k.  All Win2K clients.  All Office XP clients. Outlook clients store
their e-mail on the server. No PSTs.

Default behavior of Outlook does not enable local Contacts as an address.???
<<Where do they expect users to store email addresses?>>   While I can
readily change this for a user at a workstation, it does not follow him/her
to another workstation.  Cries of "my contacts are gone" hound me, until I
turn on the Contacts folder as another address book at the next workstation.

With 25 users and 20 PCs, this is now the only rub to allowing everyone to
work at any workstation.

I have not implemented roaming profiles, because experts say yuck!  Have
redirected some of the folders (My Documents, Desktop, and Start Menu).
Briefly tried Application Data redirection, but to no avail.

So what/how do I set up.  I've search group policy templates.

2. LaserJet II problem

3. roaming profile (not roaming) nt 4.0

4. fill-region

5. User Profiles & Roaming Profiles

6. Re Locking out of directories

7. Changing Local Profiles to Roaming Profiles

8. resize graphic in table

9. Problem with roaming Profile Samba 2.27a/Mandrake/WinXP pro SP1

10. Roaming Profiles with Samba

11. Windows XP Pro, Samba 2.2.5, roaming profiles

12. Roaming profiles on samba share

13. Samba PDC with no roaming profile