DOS and Samba and long filenames

Post by Usman Muzaffa » Fri, 29 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi -

I managed to get DOS 6.22 with MS Network Client 3.0 to mount
a shared directory from a Linux box running Samba.

Of course, the directory names show up mangled - 8.3 truncation.

My question is - is there any way that I can get at those
long filenames - either by mucking with Samba settings or
doing fancy stuff on the DOS side? All my program needs to
do is show a list of files on the dir.

As I understand it, for real DOS (not Win 95/98 DOS box) to
see the long filenames requires reading disk sectors - will that
kind of stuff work on a network drive?

Am I totally out of luck on this?
All answers appreciated.

thanks,
usman

Post by Erwann ABALE » Sat, 30 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> Hi -

> I managed to get DOS 6.22 with MS Network Client 3.0 to mount
> a shared directory from a Linux box running Samba.

> Of course, the directory names show up mangled - 8.3 truncation.

> My question is - is there any way that I can get at those
> long filenames - either by mucking with Samba settings or
> doing fancy stuff on the DOS side? All my program needs to
> do is show a list of files on the dir.

> As I understand it, for real DOS (not Win 95/98 DOS box) to
> see the long filenames requires reading disk sectors - will that
> kind of stuff work on a network drive?

> Am I totally out of luck on this?
> All answers appreciated.

You're talking abour DOS... DOS doesn't even know about long file
names....

There exist some freeware to enable the use of long file names just like
Win95 does, but of course the software need direct access to the physical
device (doesn't even work on CDROM).

I think you won't be able to see your file names....

--
Erwann ABALEA

DOS and Samba and long filenames

Post by Amos Vryho » Sun, 31 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I believe the new version of Caldera DR-DOS can read long filenames.  Unless
they decided to s*that project.  Another way to do it requirres
programming in PowerBASIC.  Just a simple file shell would do.  Or you could
make a batch file that executes on the host machine that does the following.

DIR >files.txt
TYPE files.txt

that MIGHT work.  I'm not making any gurantees, as it would require windows
95 to be running.

Post by Usman Muzaffa » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I believe the new version of Caldera DR-DOS can read long filenames.  Unless
> they decided to s*that project.  Another way to do it requirres
> programming in PowerBASIC.  Just a simple file shell would do.  Or you could
> make a batch file that executes on the host machine that does the following.

> DIR >files.txt
> TYPE files.txt

> that MIGHT work.  I'm not making any gurantees, as it would require windows
> 95 to be running.

Right, I was thinking about something along those lines.
But since the system has to be running DOS at all times - and because
the files on the system can change - is it somehow possible to get samba
to run a simple shell script that creates the files.txt file on the unix
end just before the session is created (ie, on the dos end a 'net use f:
\\mysystem\myfiles' is executed, and before samba creates the daemon to
handle the process, it creates a list of long file names and matching
8.3 filenames and dumps it in \\mysystem\myfiles\files.txt).

Ideally, it could work the other way, too - say I wanted my DOS program
to create a file with a long filename - all it does is write the 8.3 filename
with the 'requested' long filename and store this in say files2.txt;
then just after samba receives the 'net use f: /delete' request it
process the files2.txt list - rename the 8.3 files to full length.

So the question is simply can I have samba do specific pre-session and post
session processing? All pointers appreciated.

thanks,
usman

DOS and Samba and long filenames

Post by Vassilis Virvili » Wed, 03 Feb 1999 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> So the question is simply can I have samba do specific pre-session and post
> session processing? All pointers appreciated.

Yes. Just look at the commands preexec, postexec and their root
counterparts... They are defined per share, so it is exactly what you
want assuming you are going to write the scripts... :-)

        .Bill

DOS and Samba and long filenames

Post by Russell Dum » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I have just installed linux on my server. Before it was running NT. I have 3
other drives that are FAT partitions, but they have long file(names) on
them. Just about all the drives have them. Is there  a way i can linux to
see them? Fat32 support then just convert the drives to fat32? I can boot
back to NT, but i was hoping to dump NT entirely. This probelm is not
reliant on samba is it? All my clients are running win95/98.

Post by Bob Farm » Tue, 09 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>I have just installed linux on my server. Before it was running NT. I have 3
>other drives that are FAT partitions, but they have long file(names) on
>them. Just about all the drives have them. Is there  a way i can linux to
>see them? Fat32 support then just convert the drives to fat32? I can boot
>back to NT, but i was hoping to dump NT entirely. This probelm is not
>reliant on samba is it? All my clients are running win95/98.

Using DOS filesystems on Linux has nothing to do with Samba.  Samba is for
Unix/Linux/whatever machines acting as an SMB (Windows) file server on a
network.

--

Computer Services, Sam Houston State University; Huntsville, TX

1. DOS long filename broken in 2.0.5 and 2.0.6?

Hello All,

In looking at the archives, I could see that DOS long filename
support has had a checkered past. Running v2.0.5 and 2.0.6 on
Solaris 2.6 and 2.7 the DOS long filename support seems to be
broken. Could someone confirm this for me? Was a default
smb.conf value changed that now needs to be set to include
support for DOS long filenames?

TIA

Jeff

2. Windows is not an OS!!!!

3. unix filenames turned into DOS filenames??

4. Now that I have a router, any need for firewall software like Black Ice, etc ?

5. Preservation of short and long filenames in Windows 9x/et all with Samba

6. Early Mac & Apple II System Software CD

7. Does SAMBA support long filenames

8. AFPDS printer type

9. Win95 long filenames not accepted by SAMBA under linux

10. Support in WFW3.11 to read true long filenames with Samba 1.9.13

11. Samba, WIN95 and long filenames?

12. Problems associated with long filenames held on Samba fileserver?