can't umount due to Windows connections

Post by crai » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:48:01

Hi all,

I am using Samba to provide a file server for Windows machines. I use
dump to perform a backup at night of user data, however I am unable to
'umount' the partition to be dumped. I have found that this is caused
by the windows machines connections to Samba - even when no files are
open.

If I do a 'net use * /delete' on any offending windows machines then I
can umount the partition.

Any ideas how I can get round this ?

TIA

Craig J

can't umount due to Windows connections

Post by dav.. » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:07:37

Quote:> Any ideas how I can get round this ?

Force your user to disconnect at night, inform them that unless they
shut down their machines you can't take a backup. Once they will
realize what that means (this happen usually when they fsck up something
and you can't restore it) they will be a little more attentive.

Davide

Post by n.. » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 00:27:23

> I am using Samba to provide a file server for Windows machines. I use
> dump to perform a backup at night of user data, however I am unable to
> 'umount' the partition to be dumped. I have found that this is caused
> by the windows machines connections to Samba - even when no files are
> open.
> Any ideas how I can get round this ?

Since the share won't be available, maybe you could stop the SAMBA service
in its entirety prior to your umount. (If that isn't acceptable, perhaps
dyamic alteration of the smb.conf file, commenting out the required share,
might work.)

Do you really need to use dump?

Chris

Post by Ed Blackma » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 00:43:29

> I am using Samba to provide a file server for Windows machines. I use
> dump to perform a backup at night of user data, however I am unable to
> 'umount' the partition to be dumped. I have found that this is caused
> by the windows machines connections to Samba - even when no files are
> open.

If you don't mind shutting down Samba briefly systemwide, you can
 - stop Samba ("service smb stop" for Redhat)
 - umount the partition
 - start Samba (to allow other Samba services to continue)
 - do the backup
 - remount the partition
 - restart Samba (to get it to see the partition again)

Of course, if anything is actively using samba services when you stop
or restart Samba, it isn't likely to react very well to having the
service yanked out from underneath it.

Ed