assembler

Post by Paolo F. Pugn » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Many moons ago, I wrote a game in assembly language. I remember using a
particular assembler that could be loaded at any address (using LOAD "" CODE
xxxxx).

IIRC, using a RANDOMIZE USR xxxxx would re-calculate all non-relative jumps
into the assembler program, and it should be started using RANDOMIZE USR
xxxxx+21

During the developing phase, I used to save a snapshot of the memory
directly to microdrive. The final copy was transferred to tape.

Now I got that old tape again and would like to be able to peek into the
assembly language program just to change some details. Unfortunately, I am
not sure about the xxxxx and xxxxx+21 addresses, and neither could I
remember the commands accepted by the assembler, its syntax, etc. (duh!)

Could anyone help me to identify this assembler and locate its manual???

Thanks a lot,

Paolo.

--
=============IMPORTANT============
     When replying, remove wig

assembler

Post by Ian Colli » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Many moons ago, I wrote a game in assembly language. I remember using a
>particular assembler that could be loaded at any address (using LOAD "" CODE
>xxxxx).
>IIRC, using a RANDOMIZE USR xxxxx would re-calculate all non-relative jumps
>into the assembler program, and it should be started using RANDOMIZE USR
>xxxxx+21

Well my assembler does this, although I bet you weren't using that. :-)

GENS from Hisoft also does this, and I believe the addresses are x+56
for cold and x+61 for warm start though that could be wrong.
--

------ http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/users/ian.collier/imc.html

New to this group?  Answers to frequently-asked questions can be had from
http://www.kendalls.demon.co.uk/cssfaq/index.html .
Sam Coup FAQ: http://www.mono.org/~unc/Coupe/FAQ.txt

assembler

Post by Paolo F. Pugn » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>IIRC, using a RANDOMIZE USR xxxxx would re-calculate all non-relative
jumps
>>into the assembler program, and it should be started using RANDOMIZE USR
>>xxxxx+21

>Well my assembler does this, although I bet you weren't using that. :-)

>GENS from Hisoft also does this, and I believe the addresses are x+56
>for cold and x+61 for warm start though that could be wrong.

Indeed it is. Thanks, Ian!

Paolo.

assembler

Post by Ian Colli » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>>GENS from Hisoft also does this, and I believe the addresses are x+56
>>for cold and x+61 for warm start though that could be wrong.

>Indeed it is. Thanks, Ian!

You mean "indeed it is GENS" or "indeed it is wrong"? :-)

Apparently the exact numbers depend on which version it is.  I suspect I
might have the original version.  I've also just found a GENS2 manual
which I was donated some time ago, and it lists the numbers as x+50 and x+55.
--

------ http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/users/ian.collier/imc.html

New to this group?  Answers to frequently-asked questions can be had from
http://www.kendalls.demon.co.uk/cssfaq/index.html .
Sam Coup FAQ: http://www.mono.org/~unc/Coupe/FAQ.txt

assembler

Post by Paolo F. Pugn » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

This was written...

Quote:>>>GENS from Hisoft also does this, and I believe the addresses are x+56
>>>for cold and x+61 for warm start though that could be wrong.

>>Indeed it is. Thanks, Ian!

>You mean "indeed it is GENS" or "indeed it is wrong"? :-)

Whoops. Indeed it is GENS :-)

Quote:>Apparently the exact numbers depend on which version it is.  I suspect I
>might have the original version.  I've also just found a GENS2 manual
>which I was donated some time ago, and it lists the numbers as x+50 and

x+55.

Not sure yet. I'll have to transfer the tape to TZX or TAP to be sure. I
think I'll be doing this next weekend.

The addresses definitely weren't x+50 and X+55, so they must change
depending on the version.

BTW, is the manual easily found on the net? I suspect I don't remember all
the commands very well (considering what I remembered about the program
itself). Consider this as a hint :-)

Regards,
Paolo.

assembler

Post by Ian Colli » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

[about GENS]

Quote:>BTW, is the manual easily found on the net? I suspect I don't remember all
>the commands very well (considering what I remembered about the program
>itself). Consider this as a hint :-)

I have not seen it on the web.  John Garner's web page would be the best
place to look... except that I have and it isn't there.  So John, are
you thinking of putting the GENS manual on your page? :-)

I have the GENS2/MONS2 hardcopy manual and would post it to anyone who
wanted to scan it in.  Someone replied earlier, but, er, it got lost...
On the other hand, a GENS3 manual might be more useful.
--

Post by John Garne » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>[about GENS]
>>BTW, is the manual easily found on the net? I suspect I don't remember all
>>the commands very well (considering what I remembered about the program
>>itself). Consider this as a hint :-)

>I have not seen it on the web.  John Garner's web page would be the best
>place to look... except that I have and it isn't there.  So John, are
>you thinking of putting the GENS manual on your page? :-)

Hi, just caught up with this thread. You're right, I don't have the
gens/mons manual on my page. Yet. Someone definitely was going to type it up
once and send it to me.
It's got a similar editor in some ways to other Hisoft products e.g. their C
compiler so if you can find help for that one it will be a start. That might
also be difficult :-( I do have Gens/Mons though and the manual - pity, no
scanner/OCR software though. But I can type ;-)
Quote:>I have the GENS2/MONS2 hardcopy manual and would post it to anyone who
>wanted to scan it in.  Someone replied earlier, but, er, it got lost...
>On the other hand, a GENS3 manual might be more useful.

1. ANN: AGen - the assembler generator! (for Windows)

Warning: This is very much a beta version. Don't try to do anything
serious with it yet!

Okay, basically this is a sort of interactive disassembler in which
you load .SNA files (48K only) and then allows you to set datatypes
(code/byte/word/ascii) within the disassembly before saving the output
to an assembler source file.
Of course it can save to project files too but these files are rather
large atm and the file format of these is likely to change.

I'm not going to go into much detail here about the operation of this
software. Those who may have a use for this will probably figure out
most of it by experimentation rather quickly anyway.

So just a few quick points to get started.
Create a new project (again, don't get carried away with these
projects just yet), select a 48K .SNA snapshot and select the filename
for the project file.

Use the cursor keys to move around the disassembly, Page up/down keys
to get around quicker, Ctrl+PgUp/Dn to get around, well, quite a bit
quicker still !

Cursor right follows a forward reference (such as a CALL or JP),
cursor left retraces your steps from these forward references.

As I said, the rest can probably be figured out quite quickly if you
have a reasonable knowledge of Z80 machine language.

Right, it's very basic for now, has a crap user interface and isn't
exactly intuitive to use. But the question is would anybody actually
be interested in this being developed any further?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mark.woodmass/AGen.zip

2. EPSON Stylus 500

3. Z80 Assembler Update For Ya.

4. ATARI ST-Want programs and help with programming

5. z80 cross-assembler needed

6. Will a future version of BlackICE monitor/filter outbound traffic?

7. machine code loader or assembler

8. lvalue-to-rvalue conversion and a array-to-pointer

9. Best Emulator and Assembler to learn Z80 ...

10. assembler

11. Need explanation of some Assembler Code

12. Tornado Assembler CRASH !!!

13. Tornado Assembler