ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

Post by Steve Anderso » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 19:35:58

Hello all

Myself and Mr Gareth Jayne have commenced work on our project to bring a
networked version of Chaos to the world at large, now known as
openchaos.org.

At present you'll find a little bit of info about what we're up to and why,
and the opportunity to email us with questions, suggestions and offers of
help. Please stop by and help make this an absurdly fabulous game!

BTW we've been recognised by Julian Gollop as the first and only people to
have a go at this, which is nice...

Steve
http://www.openchaos.org

ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

Post by Tony Austi » Thu, 24 Jan 2002 23:20:57

Quote:> Myself and Mr Gareth Jayne have commenced work on our project to bring a
> networked version of Chaos to the world at large, now known as
> openchaos.org.

previously know as Law?

Quote:> BTW we've been recognised by Julian Gollop as the first and only people to
> have a go at this, which is nice...

Apart from Michael Law when he wrote the networked version of Chaos called
Law!

I would like to take this opportunity to unveil my new invention....

<sounds of a curtain being pulled back>

As you can see, it's a transportation device... I will name it "the wheel"

<sounds of awe from the audience>

nuff said.

I'm off to write the Pathetic Pablo Brothers and fob it off as my own :-)

--
Tony Austin
www.tonyaustin.com

ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

Post by Tony Austi » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:00:40

Quote:> Apart from Michael Law

I meant Jim Purbrick! I get confused in my old age :-)

Quote:> --
> Tony Austin
> www.tonyaustin.com

ditto

ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

Post by Andrew Owe » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:08:15

on 23/1/02 2:20 PM:

Quote:> I'm off to write the Pathetic Pablo Brothers and fob it off as my own :-)

That's already been done you twonk! 'Great Giana Sisters' ring any bells? :)

-Andrew

ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

Post by Steve Anderso » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 00:55:05

Quote:> Apart from Michael Law when he wrote the networked version of Chaos called
> Law!

I speak for us both when I say "bollocks". It's typical - you come up with a
*y good idea and put a load of work on it, and then it turns out someone
did something very similar 4 years earlier... still, it didn't stop
Microsoft, so it won't stop us - we're going to continue innovating in the
same was as them adding filename completion to the Windows XP command
prompt.

Quote:> <sounds of a curtain being pulled back>

> As you can see, it's a transportation device... I will name it "the wheel"

> <sounds of awe from the audience>

> nuff said.

Ooh, you cheeky *.

Quote:> I'm off to write the Pathetic Pablo Brothers and fob it off as my own :-)

Just remember to make it so you can complete it... oops, said too much...
*cough*

Before anyone else rains on my boulevard, has anyone started work on ZX
Linux yet...?

Steve

Post by Philip Kenda » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 01:02:48

>> Apart from Michael Law when he wrote the networked version of Chaos called
>> Law!

>I speak for us both when I say "bollocks". It's typical - you come up with a
>*y good idea and put a load of work on it, and then it turns out someone
>did something very similar 4 years earlier...

Law *is* listed in the FAQ; see Resources | Conversions ("Spectrum games
converted and updated for newer machines.")

Phil

--

  http://www.veryComputer.com/~pak21/

ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

Post by Tony Austi » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 01:14:27

Quote:> Law *is* listed in the FAQ; see Resources | Conversions ("Spectrum games
> converted and updated for newer machines.")

Yeah, read the FAQ, tch, some people :-)

/me stands behind Phillip looking 'ard!

--
Tony Austin
www.tonyaustin.com

Post by Steve Anderso » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 01:17:47

Quote:> Law *is* listed in the FAQ; see Resources | Conversions ("Spectrum games
> converted and updated for newer machines.")

Ah yes. I thought I'd checked it out, and as it turned out I did - just not
very recently...

The difference between Law and openchaos is that whereas Law needed a server
to have the server software installed, we're going about things a little
differently, so hopefully it'll be a lot easier to set up an openchaos host.

Anyway... if anyone else wants to chip in before we get too much further
into the project... =)

Steve

ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

Post by Tony Austi » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 01:25:36

Quote:> The difference between Law and openchaos is that whereas Law needed a
server
> to have the server software installed, we're going about things a little
> differently.

This I must see! Running the software without installing it!

Quote:> Anyway... if anyone else wants to chip in before we get too much further
> into the project... =)

Yeah, make sure games can be played through NAT and/or firewalls/ proxy
servers and the like.

I suggest you send the packets over HTTP on port 80, it makes it easier for
everyone that way.

--
Tony Austin
www.tonyaustin.com

ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

Post by Andrew Owe » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 01:48:31

Quote:> Before anyone else rains on my boulevard, has anyone started work on ZX
> Linux yet...?

No. I think a lot of people would like to see a ZX port of UZIX.

-Andrew

ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

Post by Steve Anderso » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:02:27

Quote:> This I must see! Running the software without installing it!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...

Ooh, you cheeky *.

Quote:> Yeah, make sure games can be played through NAT and/or firewalls/ proxy
> servers and the like.

Well, that's the plan. I've got a NAT router at home and a NAT router at
work, so we're going to be NAT friendly. Firewalls and proxies - yes indeed.

Quote:> I suggest you send the packets over HTTP on port 80, it makes it easier
for
> everyone that way.

Well, indeed - which is why we've been doing exactly that! As I said, it's
not going to need any heavyweight custom servers - no starting chaosd as
root on your choice of *nix machine - but instead using a whole bundle of
PHP/Perl on a webserver. With some crafty coding, anyone who wanted to would
be able to write an openchaos client in Javascript and DHTML, apparently...
but I'll let someone else worry about that sort of thing, and we'll get on
with the openchaos engine. For now.

Effectively the openchaos clients will be customised browsers and the server
will be a regular webserver with kickass scripts. The idea is to build up
openchaos communities, and stuff like that... but we're thrashing out the
finer details.

So there we are. As I think I said, if anyone wants to get involved on the
project, head to openchaos.org and let us know...

Steve

Post by Tony Austi » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:26:23

Quote:> > I suggest you send the packets over HTTP on port 80, it makes it easier
> for
> > everyone that way.

> Well, indeed - which is why we've been doing exactly that! As I said, it's
> not going to need any heavyweight custom servers - no starting chaosd as
> root on your choice of *nix machine - but instead using a whole bundle of
> PHP/Perl on a webserver. With some crafty coding, anyone who wanted to
would
> be able to write an openchaos client in Javascript and DHTML,
apparently...
> but I'll let someone else worry about that sort of thing, and we'll get on
> with the openchaos engine. For now.

Blimey, you're actually on to something here. There was me thinking you were
a nutter, but I'm wrong.

So you basically have a script running on a web server that accepts HTTP
POST input. The client sends commands to the server, the server interprets
the commands, changes the game status and then feeds the results back to the
client. I like it. Yeah, I see, you don't actually have to have it running
as a service or a daemon on the server. I see what you're getting at. Sounds
very interesting.

 > Effectively the openchaos clients will be customised browsers and the
server

Quote:> will be a regular webserver with kickass scripts. The idea is to build up
> openchaos communities, and stuff like that... but we're thrashing out the
> finer details.

I suggest that you don't concentrate on writing an actual server, just
writing a specification. From there, people can write servers and as long as
they abide by the specs and conform to the specs then any client can connect
to them. People will be able to write different servers for different
platforms.

Yeah, I know you'd already thought of that. I was thinking aloud.

Quote:> So there we are. As I think I said, if anyone wants to get involved on the
> project, head to openchaos.org and let us know...

Cool, I want to join, I want to join! I want to join!

One thing that does need to get sorted is that it should follow the original
spec of chaos as closely as possible. When I played Jim Purbrick at Law, my
own Gooey Blob killed me. That never happened in the original Chaos. Is
Jullian Gollop willing to answer our qestions on this?

--
Tony Austin
www.tonyaustin.com

ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

Post by Steve Anderso » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:52:48

Quote:> Blimey, you're actually on to something here. There was me thinking you
were
> a nutter, but I'm wrong.

It happens =)

Quote:> So you basically have a script running on a web server that accepts HTTP
> POST input. The client sends commands to the server, the server interprets
> the commands, changes the game status and then feeds the results back to
the
> client. I like it. Yeah, I see, you don't actually have to have it running
> as a service or a daemon on the server. I see what you're getting at.
Sounds
> very interesting.

Yep. Now you're on our wave length! The actual technology side of things -
the communication through POST to a webserver is something we've developed
in my company for a commercial product, and it works really well. We've
taken it a fair bit further than just POSTing and getting simple info back
by POSTing scripts to get the PHP we've used to work on the mySQL back-end
(f'nar)... (does that scan? Business lunch+red wine=frazzled mind)

The idea of using it for a full game came to us recently, and Chaos seemed
the obvious choice because it's so *y good - and the ability to get a
gooey blob to blob-up someone in an office in LA seemed too good to miss!

Quote:> I suggest that you don't concentrate on writing an actual server, just
> writing a specification. From there, people can write servers and as long
as
> they abide by the specs and conform to the specs then any client can
connect
> to them. People will be able to write different servers for different
> platforms.

Well, PHP and Perl are our thing, and they're nice and portable - but I know
what you mean. We're going to sort out the specs and protocol first, then
develop the first openchaos server and client in tandam - the client will
have the original Spectrum graphics with Julian Gollop's permission =). From
there, clients can be written to be as flashy or simple as you like - from a
text-mode one for Linux to a full-on DirectX fuelled 3D extravaganza -
whatever anyone fancies. (We'll be doing Shockwave and PalmOS first we
think.)

Quote:> One thing that does need to get sorted is that it should follow the
original
> spec of chaos as closely as possible. When I played Jim Purbrick at Law,
my
> own Gooey Blob killed me. That never happened in the original Chaos. Is
> Jullian Gollop willing to answer our qestions on this?

He's completely hands-off, he's got his own life to be getting on with...
but I've played Chaos like you wouldn't believe - it's the only game I've
played on my humble (8Mb, 100MHz Cyrix) laptop. So it's going to follow the
Speccy original to the nth degree, simply because I won't rest until it
does. (We might even build in a few of the bugs!)

Steve

ANN: Networked 'Chaos' project 'openchaos.org'

Post by Tony Austi » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 03:16:40

Quote:> The actual technology side of things -
> the communication through POST to a webserver is something we've developed
> in my company for a commercial product, and it works really well.

Is it open though? Is any part of this project going to belong to your
company?

Quote:> We've taken it a fair bit further than just POSTing and getting simple
info back
> by POSTing scripts to get the PHP we've used to work on the mySQL back-end
> (f'nar)... (does that scan? Business lunch+red wine=frazzled mind)

That makes no sense what so ever. Never mind. Please try again

Quote:> > Jullian Gollop willing to answer our qestions on this?

> He's completely hands-off, he's got his own life to be getting on with...

Hmm, that's not on. We'll have to put a stop to that.

Quote:> but I've played Chaos like you wouldn't believe - it's the only game I've
> played on my humble (8Mb, 100MHz Cyrix) laptop. So it's going to follow
the
> Speccy original to the nth degree, simply because I won't rest until it
> does. (We might even build in a few of the bugs!)

The bugs are a must (perhaps we can have on option to switch them off on the
server). I've picked up a fair amount of Chaos material over time that
documents the undocumented features as well as my own playing experience of
course.

-tony

--
Tony Austin
www.tonyaustin.com

1. Do you remember 'Dragonhold' or 'Dungeons 2' on the QL?

Unable to find these on the net, though I don't really know where I should
be looking (yes, yes - I do USE a Search engine). I'm sure Dragonhold was
released on disk only, due to it's size. I haven't actually downloaded a PC
based QL emulator yet, so if anyone could recommend a stable one that works
well with games.

Ah...I can still see 'Caverns'.

BTW - In case the name doesn't ring a bell, I'm sure one standout feature of
dragonhold was the fact that failure to find enough lit torches, would
result in the whole gaming are being thrown into total darkness. More than a
little disruptive to the overall game...the aim of which was to find an
amulet/elixir of life - I think?!?

2. Mac crashing w2k server

3. Does anyone have 'World Games' and/or 'Fireflash'?

4. rectangular selection of text-blocks

5. 'Cheatahs Exploits' and 'Steel Yard Blues'

6. Word for Windows file format

7. Wanted: 'Paris Dakar' and 'Emilio Sanches'

8. Vinyl Screen Protector for Palm IIIx

9. Introductory ''Logic for Computer Scientists'' texts

10. ANNOUNCE : New 'Anarchy' (Chaos update) beta

11. ANN: WIP: The YSR'n'RY TV Show

12. Panel session on `Interconnection Networks' at ICPP '94