Remember the 'Unclear User' Crash?

Post by Robin Glov » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Anyone else remember the 'Unclear User' crash - the one that got pulled from
the shelves after a couple of days because Sinclair User got an injunction.
I had a copy of the original version once (now long since departed I should
imagine - shame).

I seem to recall that they'd reviewed some sort of sheep dog type game
(probably called 'shep' I shouldn't wonder) and the screen shot was just
the Sinclair Research screen upside down. Then there was another game that
they'd managed to review because one of their journalists had seen it once
through a window whilst going past in a double decker bus.

Those (as they say) were the days.

                Robin

Post by Spik » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: Anyone else remember the 'Unclear User' crash - the one that got pulled from
: the shelves after a couple of days because Sinclair User got an injunction.
: I had a copy of the original version once (now long since departed I should
: imagine - shame).

I thought it was called Sinclair Abuser....
(But then, I missed it....)

Did anyone keep it, and if so, is it scannable????
send it to NVG... PLEASE?

|Andrew Halliwell          | "ARSE! GERLS!! DRINK! DRINK! DRINK!!!"          |
|Principal subjects in:-   | "THAT WOULD BE AN ECUMENICAL MATTER!...FECK!!!! |
|Comp Sci & Electronics    |    - Father Jack in "Father Ted"                |
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ |
|X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! >*SULK*<|

Remember the 'Unclear User' Crash?

Post by Chris Ow » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

 It's already on NVG - look in the sinclair/pics/misc directory (I think)
for a series of JPEGs, unclear*.jpg.  It's a pretty good piss-take!

--

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|    WORLD'S BIGGEST SPECTRUM ARCHIVE -- http://www.nvg.unit.no/sinclair    |

Post by R. Mellis » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>: Anyone else remember the 'Unclear User' crash - the one that got pulled from
>: the shelves after a couple of days because Sinclair User got an injunction.
>: I had a copy of the original version once (now long since departed I should
>: imagine - shame).
>I thought it was called Sinclair Abuser....
>(But then, I missed it....)

It was `Unclear User'. I deliberately kept hold of it when I threw out all
my old Crashes a few months ago - a memorable piece of speccy history.

Highlights include an advert for `Engulfed' by Penultimate Pay the Price.

It's a pity that EMAP/SU were such humourless idiots as to get that issue
banned.

Quote:>Did anyone keep it, and if so, is it scannable????
>send it to NVG... PLEASE?

I guess this is possible. I'll check out the local scanning situation.

Remember the 'Unclear User' Crash?

Post by Russ Jucke » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Andrew Halliwell scribed:

  AH> I thought it was called Sinclair Abuser.... (But then, I missed
  AH> it....)

  AH> Did anyone keep it, and if so, is it scannable???? send it to NVG...
  AH> PLEASE?

  It *was* called Unclear User.  I have it in JPEG format, there's about four
pages of it, and it comes to just over a meg of data.

  Actually, now I come to think of it, I think it's already on NVG somewhere.
I'll have a look today at work.

Outta here.

Russ                               -= S T R O N G A R M   P O W E R E D =-
--
Internet Co-ordinator & ZX Spectrum Owner, http://www.the-edge.ha1.com

 |     Digital Databank BBS: +44-1707-323531 (300-28.8k/V42/42b) 24 hours    |

 |                  (Acorn Information at your Fingertips)                   |

Remember the 'Unclear User' Crash?

Post by gibs.. » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>: Anyone else remember the 'Unclear User' crash - the one that got pulled
>from
>: the shelves after a couple of days because Sinclair User got an
injunction.
>: I had a copy of the original version once (now long since departed I
should
>: imagine - shame).

>I thought it was called Sinclair Abuser....
>(But then, I missed it....)

>Did anyone keep it, and if so, is it scannable????
>send it to NVG... PLEASE?
>-

It *is* scanned somewhere ... it is on the Speccy CD I have bought. So it
must be somewhere out there?!

Ian Cull on AOL, now in Boston USA, but still English

Post by Robert Coop » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>: Anyone else remember the 'Unclear User' crash - the one that got pulled

>>I thought it was called Sinclair Abuser....

>>Did anyone keep it, and if so, is it scannable????
>>send it to NVG... PLEASE?
>It *is* scanned somewhere ... it is on the Speccy CD I have bought. So it
>must be somewhere out there?!

Hey, could you upload it?  If not, what was the name of the file(s).  That
way, at least we can do an FTP Search.
        Icabod

Post by gibs.. » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:(Robert Cooper) writes:
>>It *is* scanned somewhere ... it is on the Speccy CD I have bought. So
it
>>must be somewhere out there?!

>Hey, could you upload it?  If not, what was the name of the file(s).
That
>way, at least we can do an FTP Search.

Files UNCLEAR1.JPG, UNCLEAR2.JPG, UNCLEAR3.JPG, UNCLEAR4.JPG

Ian Cull on AOL, now in Boston USA, but still English

Remember the 'Unclear User' Crash?

Post by Robert Coop » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>>>It *is* scanned somewhere ... it is on the Speccy CD I have bought. So
>>>it must be somewhere out there?!
>>Hey, could you upload it?  If not, what was the name of the file(s).
>>That way, at least we can do an FTP Search.
>Files UNCLEAR1.JPG, UNCLEAR2.JPG, UNCLEAR3.JPG, UNCLEAR4.JPG

Just done a search on unclear1.jpg.  Here's the results :
http://ftp.nvg.unit.no/pub/sinclair/pics/magazines/sinclair_user/
http://ftp.tu-dresden.de/pub/soft/zxspectrum/pics/magazines/sinclair_...
http://ftp.sun.ac.za/pub/misc/sinclair/pics/magazines/sinclair_user/
http://ftp.gui.uva.es/.2/sinclair/pics/magazines/sinclair_user/
http://ftp.gui.uva.es/.2/sinclair/pics/misc/

Cheer,
        Icabod

Post by Chris Ow » Tue, 10 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>>>Hey, could you upload it?  If not, what was the name of the file(s).
>>>That way, at least we can do an FTP Search.

>>Files UNCLEAR1.JPG, UNCLEAR2.JPG, UNCLEAR3.JPG, UNCLEAR4.JPG

>Just done a search on unclear1.jpg.  Here's the results :
>http://ftp.nvg.unit.no/pub/sinclair/pics/magazines/sinclair_user/
>http://ftp.tu-dresden.de/pub/soft/zxspectrum/pics/magazines/sinclair_...
>http://ftp.sun.ac.za/pub/misc/sinclair/pics/magazines/sinclair_user/
>http://ftp.gui.uva.es/.2/sinclair/pics/magazines/sinclair_user/
>http://ftp.gui.uva.es/.2/sinclair/pics/misc/

 Damn well should be there... I'm the one who scanned the thing...
*grumble grumble*

 It's a good piss-take, though.  Just shows how little humour EMAP have,
doesn't it?  They forced CRASH to withdraw all the copies of that issue,
pull out the offending pages and reissue them with a little sticker on
the front to explain the problem.  If you have a copy of that issue of
CRASH (the July '85 one, I think) with the Unclear User parody still
inside, it's probably a mail-ordered one.  As such, it's quite rare.
Don't ask me how much it's worth, though...

--

|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|    WORLD'S BIGGEST SPECTRUM ARCHIVE -- http://www.nvg.unit.no/sinclair    |

Remember the 'Unclear User' Crash?

Post by Richard G. Hall » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

(9 Dec 1996 20:16:00 GMT), Chris Owen typed:

Quote:> It's a good piss-take, though. Just shows how little humour EMAP
> have, doesn't it?

Well, I must admit that when I saw it my heart sank, and I just knew
they'd gone too far. I certainly enjoyed it and had a good laugh, but
I didn't honestly think they should have done it, and I wasn't in the
least bit surprised that they got into trouble over it.

Quote:> They forced CRASH to withdraw all the copies of that issue, pull out
> the offending pages

i.e. *tear* out the pages! I remember seeing copies with tantalising
bits of page left in them!

Quote:> and reissue them with a little sticker on the front to explain the
> problem. If you have a copy of that issue of CRASH (the July '85
> one, I think) with the Unclear User parody still inside, it's
> probably a mail-ordered one. As such, it's quite rare. Don't ask me
> how much it's worth, though...

No, this isn't the case. A few copies *did* escape. I couldn't find
my monthly Crash in the shops until about a week (or maybe two) after
I expected it, and I hunted high and low. Eventually I did find a copy
tucked away behind some other magazines. It was in perfect condition,
with the parody pages still there, so obviously the newsagent had
missed that particular copy. As soon as I opened it and saw the pages,
I knew why Crash had been late that month...! Then, a few days, later,
they appeared again with the little white stickers on them and the
offending pages ripped out.

I had my intact copy, still in perfect condition, until just a few
years ago, when I stupidly allowed my collection of Crashes and YSes
to be thrown away. I'm furious with myself about that. It really was
in *perfect* condition, as were most of my other issues... >-(

I got hold of a replacement copy of this issue recently though one of
the famous c.s.s. auctions, but sadly it turned out to be in very poor
condition when it arrived. DAMN DAMN DAMN! I /wish/ I'd kept my own
old collection. :-(

--
Richard
-=-=-=-

Remember the 'Unclear User' Crash?

Post by Russ Jucke » Wed, 11 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Chris Owen scribed:

  C9> If you have a copy of that issue of CRASH (the July '85 one, I think)
  C9> with the Unclear User parody still inside, it's probably a
  C9> mail-ordered one.  As such, it's quite rare. Don't ask me how much
  C9> it's worth, though...

  I would say it was the other way around:  My brother bought the Crash
complete with pages at a newsagents, but my friend, who got it mail order had
to wait an extra week, and when it arrived there was a note in the bag
explaining why it had taken so long - ie the publisher had recalled them all
and removed the pages.

Outta here.

Russ                               -= S T R O N G A R M   P O W E R E D =-
--
Internet Co-ordinator & ZX Spectrum Owner,   http://www.the-edge.ha1.com
                                             http://www.raiden.demon.co.uk

Post by Dylan Smit » Thu, 12 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Well, I must admit that when I saw it my heart sank, and I just knew
> they'd gone too far. I certainly enjoyed it and had a good laugh, but
> I didn't honestly think they should have done it, and I wasn't in the
> least bit surprised that they got into trouble over it.

> > They forced CRASH to withdraw all the copies of that issue, pull out
> > the offending pages

> i.e. *tear* out the pages! I remember seeing copies with tantalising
> bits of page left in them!

Could you post what was in this "Unclear User" parody for those of us
who never saw it (I didn't read Crash). Just want to know what all
the fuss was about!

--

Dylan Smith  1810 Space Park Drive, Houston, TX 77573
Standard disclaimer applies.

Remember the 'Unclear User' Crash?

Post by Nick Honeywel » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

klive.nvg.unit.no> writes

Quote:>They forced CRASH to withdraw all the copies of that issue,
>pull out the offending pages and reissue them with a little sticker on
>the front to explain the problem.

The sticker didn't say why the pages were removed, it just said 'Pages
[so-and-so] removed for legal reasons.'  Thus, I never did find out why
they were removed until I first came across comp.sys.sinclair a year or
so ago =)

--
Nick Honeywell

Remember the 'Unclear User' Crash?

Post by Richard G. Hall » Sat, 14 Dec 1996 04:00:00

(Wed, 11 Dec 1996 08:52:11 -0600), Dylan Smith typed:

Quote:> Could you post what was in this "Unclear User" parody for those of
> us who never saw it (I didn't read Crash). Just want to know what
> all the fuss was about!

Scans of the pages are available as JPEGs somewhere on NVG. I'm not
sure precisely where, but it was mentioned in a recent posting on
c.s.s. I don't have them in a textual form, though, and I'm sure that
the denizens of c.s.s. would object rather strongly to me posting four
very large binaries on here! ;-)

--
Richard
-=-=-=-