Question: Are Auctions allowed in this newsgroup ?

Question: Are Auctions allowed in this newsgroup ?

Post by Neil Maynar » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:47:28

I can't find a charter or FAQ so are Auctions allowed ?

Thanks

Neil

Question: Are Auctions allowed in this newsgroup ?

Post by Scribble » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 09:23:45

Quote:> I can't find a charter or FAQ so are Auctions allowed ?

As long as they're speccy related, I don't see why not.

Oh, and one more thing...

http://www.sinclairfaq.com/

--
http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk

It's better than your auction....

Post by David Butter » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:17:08

>> I can't find a charter or FAQ so are Auctions allowed ?

> As long as they're speccy related, I don't see why not.

<snip>

Ahem. comp.sys.*sinclair*

--
Above address *is* valid - but snip spamtrap to get me to *read*!

Post by Jamie Perciva » Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:21:04

> >> I can't find a charter or FAQ so are Auctions allowed ?

> > As long as they're speccy related, I don't see why not.
> <snip>

> Ahem. comp.sys.*sinclair*

s/speccy/Sinclair :P

--
http://www.mercuryvapour.co.uk

It's better than generalising....

Question: Are Auctions allowed in this newsgroup ?

Post by Matthew Wils » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 02:41:45

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 23:47:28 +0000, Neil Maynard

>I can't find a charter or FAQ so are Auctions allowed ?

Sinclair FAQs at http://www.sinclairfaq.com/

comp.sys.sinclair FAQ at http://www.sinclairfaq.com/cssfaq/index.html

...which doesn't seem to mention auctions any more.

Wouldn't it make more sense to do auctions via Ebay?

Matthew

Question: Are Auctions allowed in this newsgroup ?

Post by David Butter » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 08:01:47

2003:

Quote:>> Ahem. comp.sys.*sinclair*

> s/speccy/Sinclair :P

Eh? All I was saying was that Sinclair does not consist exclusively of
the Spectrum.

--
Above address *is* valid - but snip spamtrap to get me to *read*!

Question: Are Auctions allowed in this newsgroup ?

Post by Peter THOM » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:42:16

On 17 Feb 2003 23:01:47 GMT, David Buttery

>>> Ahem. comp.sys.*sinclair*
>> s/speccy/Sinclair :P
>Eh? All I was saying was that Sinclair does not consist exclusively of
>the Spectrum.

Scribbler (aka Jamie Percival) was correcting himself.

If you enter  s/speccy/Sinclair  in Linux[1], it does a
'find-and-replace' operation.

[1] (I can't believe you're daring to talk about this subject again. -
Ed)

--
pete {at} horseshoe-inn . co . uk
[New here? See www.worldofspectrum.org]

"Well, upgrade to an older version of Windows." - Tomaz Cedilnik

Post by andy dans » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:41:43

> On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 23:47:28 +0000, Neil Maynard

> >I can't find a charter or FAQ so are Auctions allowed ?

> Sinclair FAQs at http://www.veryComputer.com/

> comp.sys.sinclair FAQ at http://www.veryComputer.com/

> ...which doesn't seem to mention auctions any more.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to do auctions via Ebay?

> Matthew

I have no problem advertising auctions for sinclair stuff on
comp.sys.sinclair, but I agree the actions themselves should be held
on ebay.

otherwise, you'd just be getting offers in Rolo's

how much for a * key 48k

1 pack rolo's

do I hear 2 packs......2 packs of rolo's to that speccyfreak in the
corner....
do I hear 3 packs........ on and on...

l8r

andy

Post by Doctor J. Fri » Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:57:33

>On 17 Feb 2003 23:01:47 GMT, David Buttery

>>> s/speccy/Sinclair :P
>>Eh? All I was saying was that Sinclair does not consist exclusively of
>>the Spectrum.

>Scribbler (aka Jamie Percival) was correcting himself.

>If you enter  s/speccy/Sinclair  in Linux[1], it does a
>'find-and-replace' operation.

Actually you would enter it in something like ed (text editor) or sed
(streaming text editor) amongst other things, which are available on pretty
much all unices and plenty of other OSes as well (including DOS and
Windows). If you just typed into something at random on Linux you would be
quite unlikely to obtain the desired effect.

Quote:>[1] (I can't believe you're daring to talk about this subject again. -
>Ed)

That's the thing about unix geeks, we don't stand for incorrect usage (maybe
it comes from having to enter all the commands properly, or maybe we just
have USENETFLAGS="-pedantic -Wall" ;0).

Frink

--
Doctor J. Frink     : 'Luminous Lunar Lemur'
See his mind here   : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/

Post by Matthew Westco » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 08:31:10

>>If you enter  s/speccy/Sinclair  in Linux[1], it does a
>>'find-and-replace' operation.

>Actually you would enter it in something like ed (text editor) or sed
>(streaming text editor)

And while we're being pedantic, it should have a / on the end. Or, to put
it another way, s/s\/([^\/]*)\/([^\/]*)/s\/\1\/\2\//.

--
http://www.zxdemo.org/ - the home of the Spectrum demo scene
"there's a breach in security, a disturbance in the chuntey"

Question: Are Auctions allowed in this newsgroup ?

Post by Darren Sal » Thu, 20 Feb 2003 10:57:39

I demand that Doctor J. Frink may or may not have written...

>> On 17 Feb 2003 23:01:47 GMT, David Buttery

>>> Eh? All I was saying was that Sinclair does not consist exclusively of
>>> the Spectrum.
>> Scribbler (aka Jamie Percival) was correcting himself.
>> If you enter  s/speccy/Sinclair  in Linux[1], it does a 'find-and-replace'
>> operation.
> Actually you would enter it in something like ed (text editor) or sed
> (streaming text editor) amongst other things [...]

Must build that new version of sed for RISC OS...

Quote:>> [1] (I can't believe you're daring to talk about this subject again. - Ed)
> That's the thing about unix geeks, we don't stand for incorrect usage
> (maybe it comes from having to enter all the commands properly, or maybe we
> just have USENETFLAGS="-pedantic -Wall" ;0).

So how come you missed that missing trailing '/'? :-)

--
| Darren Salt | nr. Ashington, | d youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk
| RISC OS,    | Northumberland | s zap,tartarus,org

|   Post HTML or binary => risk being reported to your ISP.

I'd like to, but I'm going to count the bristles in my toothbrush.

Question: Are Auctions allowed in this newsgroup ?

Post by Darren Sal » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 01:39:29

I demand that Matthew Westcott may or may not have written...

>>> If you enter  s/speccy/Sinclair  in Linux[1], it does a
>>> 'find-and-replace' operation.
>> Actually you would enter it in something like ed (text editor) or sed
>> (streaming text editor)
> And while we're being pedantic, it should have a / on the end. Or, to put
> it another way, s/s\/([^\/]*)\/([^\/]*)/s\/\1\/\2\//.

Alternatively, s%(s/([^/]*){2})%\1/% (if you're feeding that to sed, you'll
need either -r or to \-escape braces and parentheses).

But what about \-escaped /s? We need to trap odd numbers of \s...

  s%(s/([^/]*(\\(\\\\)*/)?){2})%\1/%

Which, like the others, doesn't work as intended when given input like
"s/foo/bar/".

  s%(s/([^/]*(\\(\\\\)*/)?){2})/?%\1/%

And for the not-/-delimited regexp, it becomes interesting...

--
| Darren Salt | nr. Ashington, | d youmustbejoking,demon,co,uk
| RISC OS,    | Northumberland | s zap,tartarus,org

|   We are CSS. You will be hatstand. On-topicness is futile.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, write.

Question: Are Auctions allowed in this newsgroup ?

Post by David Butter » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 04:05:50

Feb 2003:

<snipped gibberish>

Quote:>   s%(s/([^/]*(\\(\\\\)*/)?){2})/?%\1/%

> And for the not-/-delimited regexp, it becomes interesting...

And these are the people who bang on about how much nicer Linux is to
use than Windows...

--
Above address *is* valid - but snip spamtrap to get me to *read*!

Question: Are Auctions allowed in this newsgroup ?

Post by Doctor J. Fri » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:25:51

On 19 Feb 2003 19:05:50 GMT, David Buttery

>Feb 2003:

><snipped gibberish>
>>   s%(s/([^/]*(\\(\\\\)*/)?){2})/?%\1/%

>> And for the not-/-delimited regexp, it becomes interesting...

>And these are the people who bang on about how much nicer Linux is to
>use than Windows...

As I already pointed out regexps are not the sole preserve of unix software.
Plenty of people use them on other OSes, including the highly 'popular'
Windows in a variety of programs and languages.

Yes, they're mental, yes they're extremely useful, but no you don't *have*
to use them. I tend not to cos as you can see they're melon-twisting.

Frink

--
Doctor J. Frink     : 'Luminous Lunar Lemur'
See his mind here   : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/
Annoy his mind here : pjf at cmp dot liv dot ack dot ook
"Joy!" - Stimpy

Question: Are Auctions allowed in this newsgroup ?

Post by David Butter » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:47:46

2003:

Quote:> As I already pointed out regexps are not the sole preserve of unix
> software. Plenty of people use them on other OSes, including the
> highly 'popular' Windows in a variety of programs and languages.

<snip>

Such as Xnews, now I come to think of it.

--
Above address *is* valid - but snip spamtrap to get me to *read*!