World Cup Carnival - worst game ever?

Post by Jim McCaule » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Remember this hideous spectacle of a World Cup cash-in? A spooge of
Artic's *footy game with a vague World Cup theme? Possibly the worst
game ever for the ZX Spectrum?

I work with one of the people responsible for it, and I'd just like you
all to know that he's sorry. He did it in about two weeks, because there
was some disaster with the game US Gold was planning to produce.

His name is Adam Waring and he's now deputy editor of PC Format. If you
have any WCC reminiscences you'd like to share, why not post them up and
I'll pass them on to him.

Jim.

World Cup Carnival - worst game ever?

Post by Damien Bur » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>His name is Adam Waring and he's now deputy editor of PC Format. If you
>have any WCC reminiscences you'd like to share, why not post them up and
>I'll pass them on to him.

Tell him he's about to get ever-lasting fame in the FAQ. I may even make his
name blink to punish him.
--
Damien Burke (remove nojunkmail part of my address to reply)
Speccy pages: http://www.jetman.demon.co.uk/speccy/

World Cup Carnival - worst game ever?

Post by Nick Honeywel » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

writes

>>I work with one of the people responsible for it,

[it being World Cup Carnival]

Quote:

>>His name is Adam Waring and he's now deputy editor of PC Format.

>Heh - it seems that EVERYONE working at PC Format has a *Speccy game behind
>them somewhere! Who was it who confessed to writing Ninja Massacre last month?

Er, it was Adam Waring, *, don't you remember?  Why don't we play a
different game - guess which *games Adam Waring wrote =)

--
Nick Honeywell

World Cup Carnival - worst game ever?

Post by Quintin Park » Fri, 21 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Jim McCauley picked up a fat crayon and scribbled...

Quote:> I work with one of the people responsible for it, and I'd just like you
> all to know that he's sorry. He did it in about two weeks, because there
> was some disaster with the game US Gold was planning to produce.
> His name is Adam Waring and he's now deputy editor of PC Format. If you
> have any WCC reminiscences you'd like to share, why not post them up and
> I'll pass them on to him.

Surely not Adam Waring who worked for the technical column of YS !?

Don't go mad,
Quintin :-o
| The Werewolf BBS * +44-181-289-6003 * ANSI/33k6/24hr/8N1 * Point your web |
| browser at http://www.werewlf.demon.co.uk/bbs.html/ for more information. |
|                     The Werewolf BBS Internet Gateway.                    |

Post by rjfm » Sat, 22 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Remember this hideous spectacle of a World Cup cash-in? A spooge of
>Artic's *footy game with a vague World Cup theme? Possibly the worst
>game ever for the ZX Spectrum?

Nah..Black Hole by Quest (who changed to Fantasy), get my vote for
worst game...

Rob.

Post by Andy Kelle » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Remember this hideous spectacle of a World Cup cash-in? A spooge of
>Artic's *footy game with a vague World Cup theme? Possibly the worst
>game ever for the ZX Spectrum?
>I work with one of the people responsible for it, and I'd just like you
>all to know that he's sorry. He did it in about two weeks, because there
>was some disaster with the game US Gold was planning to produce.
>His name is Adam Waring and he's now deputy editor of PC Format. If you
>have any WCC reminiscences you'd like to share, why not post them up and
>I'll pass them on to him.

The worst games I ever had for my speccy, were Bruce Lee, and Stunt
Car racer (It is a GREAT game, but was too slow on speccy when you are
used to the Amiga version).

Give my regards to Adam. He wrote some great speccy games!!

Andy Kellett

Editor/Manager of Extreme AMOS
AMOS Homepages located at http://www.veryComputer.com/

IRC Nicks: Mush, Fish-Guy

Post by Stephen Smi » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Remember this hideous spectacle of a World Cup cash-in? A spooge of
>Artic's *footy game with a vague World Cup theme? Possibly the worst
>game ever for the ZX Spectrum?

Actually, IMHO Artic Football wasn't actually that bad.  I've never
played WCC, and haven't played Artic Football for about 13 years, but
I remember it being almost playable.  Obviously compared to the
awesome matchday, its nothing special.

--

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by rjfm » Mon, 24 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Personally I think the award for Most Bollocks Game Ever should go
>without argument to Uchi Mata. I particularly liked the way you couldn't
>do anything at all unless you could get one of the head-meltingly
>complicated special moves from the instructions to work (I never could).

It was helped by the `murky' graphics on the spectrum version, the C64
version looked much better...

Rob.

Post by Jim McCaule » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> Surely not Adam Waring who worked for the technical column of YS !?

> Don't go mad,
> Quintin :-o
> --

Indeed. He was SpecTech. What a guy ;-)

Post by Paulo Sérgio Coel » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>The worst games I ever had for my speccy, were Bruce Lee, and Stunt

 Bruce Lee was not all that bad, it was just damn EASY.

Quote:>Car racer (It is a GREAT game, but was too slow on speccy when you are

 Could disagree more! I LOVE Stunt Car Racer, and playing it at 250%
on the emulator just makes it all even better. Of course, the Amiga
version is much faster than the normal Speccy version.

Bye!

Post by Boudewijn Rem » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: >Personally I think the award for Most Bollocks Game Ever should go
: >without argument to Uchi Mata. I particularly liked the way you couldn't
: >do anything at all unless you could get one of the head-meltingly
: >complicated special moves from the instructions to work (I never could).

: It was helped by the `murky' graphics on the spectrum version, the C64
: version looked much better...

: Rob.

Can it be that everyone has forgotten about Supergran? That surely should
take the prize!
--
Boudewijn Rempt
Eerste Kruisstraat 4

Post by rjfm » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>The worst games I ever had for my speccy, were Bruce Lee, and Stunt
>Car racer (It is a GREAT game, but was too slow on speccy when you are
>used to the Amiga version).

I enjoyed BL on the spectrum...although it was very easy to finish, it
was different to the many manic miner clones.

Rob.

World Cup Carnival - worst game ever?

Post by rjfm » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Actually, IMHO Artic Football wasn't actually that bad.  I've never
>played WCC, and haven't played Artic Football for about 13 years, but
>I remember it being almost playable.  Obviously compared to the
>awesome matchday, its nothing special.

The rugby game by Artic (I think) was very similar to the football
game. Anyway would you have wrote the above if Jon Ritman did not read
this group??

Rob.

World Cup Carnival - worst game ever?

Post by rjfm » Tue, 25 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Can it be that everyone has forgotten about Supergran? That surely should
>take the prize!

Ah but I never bought `Supergran', where I bought `Black Hole'!

Rob.

1. World Cup Carnival (Mexico 86)

I dont know about the Amstrad version, but the Spectrum release was actually
an old Artic game - with no real major changes...

(Crossposted to CSS so someone can help out remember the name of the game ;)

2. FS: A2386SX Bridgeboard

3. Worst multiload games ever

4. PowerBuilder vs SQLWindows vs ObjectView

5. Worst game ever?

6. Help with faster image processing

7. Best spectrum football game in the world ever!!!!

8. Help files went bye bye!

9. The Official World Cup site

10. OT: Who will win the World Cup?

11. OT : Build your own world cup football

12. World Cup Shinty (128K Only)

13. Worst joystick ever...