Sir Clive on Classic FM! [MP3]

Post by Chris You » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

AT LAST!

Listen to the Sir Clive Sinclair interview on Classic FM's Celebrity
Choice!  All five parts (except there were six) are now available at;

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/gerard.j/clive/

HURRAH!

Chris
--
"The funniest website in the entire history of the world"

Unsatisfactory Software
http://www.unsatisfactory.freeserve.co.uk/

Got a problem? Ask Auntie Madge!
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ysac/askmadge.html

Sir Clive on Classic FM! [MP3]

Post by Raffaele Matte » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have download the MP3 files but the files are corrupted !
WHY ?

                                                    Raffaele.

> AT LAST!

> Listen to the Sir Clive Sinclair interview on Classic FM's Celebrity
> Choice!  All five parts (except there were six) are now available at;

> http://web.ukonline.co.uk/gerard.j/clive/

> HURRAH!

> Chris
> --
> "The funniest website in the entire history of the world"

> Unsatisfactory Software
> http://www.unsatisfactory.freeserve.co.uk/

> Got a problem? Ask Auntie Madge!
> http://www.bigfoot.com/~ysac/askmadge.html

Sir Clive on Classic FM! [MP3]

Post by Chris You » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 16:18:57 +0200, Raffaele Mattei

>I have download the MP3 files but the files are corrupted !
>WHY ?

Are you using Netscape?  I've had numerous problems downloading
'unknown' files (TAPs, for example) with Netscape.

If anybody knows of a fix, then let me know.  I'd upload it to NVG,
but the update problems (I presume these are still going on?) make
that a bit pointless.  It seems a bit irrelevant for WOS.

Haylp!  Anyone?

Chris
--

Post by Jamie Perciva » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 16:18:57 +0200, Raffaele Mattei

>>I have download the MP3 files but the files are corrupted !
>>WHY ?

>Are you using Netscape?  I've had numerous problems downloading
>'unknown' files (TAPs, for example) with Netscape.

>If anybody knows of a fix, then let me know.  I'd upload it to NVG,
>but the update problems (I presume these are still going on?) make
>that a bit pointless.  It seems a bit irrelevant for WOS.

You could try a program called "GetRight". It's one of those download
monitors that do certain things like let you resume downloads and the like.
Although I have never had any problems DLing from Netscape, this may help.
It's on those ghastly shareware library things if you want to download it.

If not, I can spare you a few Mb on my site if that'll help...

--
------------------------------------
VISIT SPECHELL: http://www.arcticfox.freeservers.com/spechell

Sir Clive on Classic FM! [MP3]

Post by Chris You » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 16:18:57 +0200, Raffaele Mattei

>>I have download the MP3 files but the files are corrupted !
>>WHY ?

>Are you using Netscape?  I've had numerous problems downloading
>'unknown' files (TAPs, for example) with Netscape.

OK, I've been thinking about this, and here's a possible fix if you
are using Win95 then the following steps should help;

1. Go into View -> Options, then File Types

2. Click on "New Type"

3. Type in the following;

Extension: mp3
MIME Type: audio/mpeg

4. Click OK (unless you want to associate an app with it, of course)

If you already have mp3 set up, then go into file types, select mp3
and click on edit instead.

Now re-download one of the files, and check that it worked.

Hope that helps,

Chris
--

Post by Gilberto Gaudenc » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 16:18:57 +0200, Raffaele Mattei

>>I have download the MP3 files but the files are corrupted !
>>WHY ?

>Are you using Netscape?  I've had numerous problems downloading
>'unknown' files (TAPs, for example) with Netscape.

>If anybody knows of a fix, then let me know.  I'd upload it to NVG,
>but the update problems (I presume these are still going on?) make
>that a bit pointless.  It seems a bit irrelevant for WOS.

>Haylp!  Anyone?

Try GetRight (www.getright.com), its a great for downloading large
files.

--
||// \\//               Gilberto Gaudencio

//|| //\\                "Eu sou o vento"

Sir Clive on Classic FM! [MP3]

Post by Andre van Wy » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Chris

If the problem is that you hear some really strange clicking and hissing
when you play the file then get UNCOOK.EXE and fix up the file with it.
Just do a search and I'm sure you will find it on the internet.

Andr
--
<SIG>
Andr van Wyk (Shareware game author)

Sir Clive on Classic FM! [MP3]

Post by Angus Ra » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> On Tue, 06 Oct 1998 16:18:57 +0200, Raffaele Mattei

> >I have download the MP3 files but the files are corrupted !
> >WHY ?
> Are you using Netscape?  I've had numerous problems downloading
> 'unknown' files (TAPs, for example) with Netscape.
> If anybody knows of a fix, then let me know.  I'd upload it to NVG,
> but the update problems (I presume these are still going on?) make
> that a bit pointless.  It seems a bit irrelevant for WOS.

He probably is using Netscape, but it's not really Netscape's problem as
such. Almost certainly the server does not have a MIME type set for .mp3
files (or .tap!) and so it's sending the default MIME type - on most
servers this is "text/plain". As it's been said by the server that this
is text, Netscape performs Unix to DOS conversion on the file (basically
mucks with the line feeds and carriage returns a bit) so that it can be
displayed correctly. Binary files tend to be mucked up by this. Internet
Explorer appears to download better, but in actual fact it's not doing
what it's supposed to - the server says it's "text/plain" so it should
be treated as if it's text.

Solution is to add a MIME type for the file on the server. If the server
is set to parse .htaccess files you can usually do this by popping a
file called ".htaccess" in the same directory as the files to be
downloaded containing

AddType audio/mpeg mp3

or a type that's appropriate for the file.

Addons like GetRight can get round this, but it's been known to cause
other problems with Netscape (see the Unofficial FAQ at
http://www.ufaq.org/)
--
Angus G Rae    Science & Engineering Support Team, Edinburgh University

ICQ: 1721903           "Thunder wishes it could be the snow", Tori Amos
  The above views are mine, and Edinburgh Uni can't have any of them.

Sir Clive on Classic FM! [MP3]

Post by Chris You » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Solution is to add a MIME type for the file on the server. If the server
>is set to parse .htaccess files you can usually do this by popping a
>file called ".htaccess" in the same directory as the files to be
>downloaded containing

>AddType audio/mpeg mp3

>or a type that's appropriate for the file.

Done.  I'm glad UKOL's web server doesn't eat files starting with a
dot, like mine does...

Quote:>Addons like GetRight can get round this, but it's been known to cause
>other problems with Netscape (see the Unofficial FAQ at
>http://www.ufaq.org/)

Whereabouts on there?

Chris

--
"The funniest website in the entire history of the world"

Unsatisfactory Software
http://www.unsatisfactory.freeserve.co.uk/

Got a problem? Ask Auntie Madge!
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ysac/askmadge.html

Sir Clive on Classic FM! [MP3]

Post by Angus Ra » Thu, 08 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> >Addons like GetRight can get round this, but it's been known to cause
> >other problems with Netscape (see the Unofficial FAQ at
> >http://www.ufaq.org/)
> Whereabouts on there?

Section 3 part 15 - "Communicator won't load any pages on the Internet.
Mail and news work, but the browser doesn't browse."

Angus
--

Post by Ian Colli » Mon, 12 Oct 1998 04:00:00

>He probably is using Netscape, but it's not really Netscape's problem as
>such. Almost certainly the server does not have a MIME type set for .mp3
>files (or .tap!) and so it's sending the default MIME type - on most
>servers this is "text/plain".

Of course Netscape is not always free from blame.  It seems that if a file
is transmitted as Content-Type: text/plain; Content-Transfer-Encoding:
application/gzip then Windoze versions of Netscape will fail to decode
the file but still apply text mangling to it, rendering it useless.
--

------ http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/users/ian.collier/imc.html

New to this group?  Answers to frequently-asked questions can be had from
http://www.kendalls.demon.co.uk/cssfaq/index.html .
Sam Coup FAQ: http://www.mono.org/~unc/Coupe/FAQ.txt

Sir Clive on Classic FM! [MP3]

Post by Chris You » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I've ZIP'd the MP3s now, but am getting moaned at for hogging the
phone line so I've only actually uploaded one at the moment.  Anybody
having trouble before should be able to download these with no
problems.  Hopefully.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/gerard.j/clive/

Chris

--
"The funniest website in the entire history of the world"

 Unsatisfactory Software
http://www.unsatisfactory.freeserve.co.uk/
 Got a problem? Ask Auntie Madge!
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ysac/askmadge.html

Sir Clive on Classic FM! [MP3]

Post by Chris You » Wed, 21 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>If Netscape "thinks" that you're downloading a text file it will
>expand LF into CR-LF.  I think one fix is to use "ftp" instead
>of "http".

Good theory, but you can't FTP into the site anonymously...

Chris

--

Post by Nathan Wai » Thu, 22 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> >If Netscape "thinks" that you're downloading a text file it will
> >expand LF into CR-LF.  I think one fix is to use "ftp" instead
> >of "http".

> Good theory, but you can't FTP into the site anonymously...

Well, I have resorted on the rare occasion to plugging the binary
file into my favorite text-editor, old CygnusEd (shameless plug)
and doing a search for cr+lf's and replacing them all with lf's.

It actually worked every time.  Seems the odds of encountering a
real cr+lf combination wasn't as high as I expected.

Of course I wouldn't recommend this method if the binary isn't
something with built-in integrity verification.  (CRC, checksum,
etc...)  I prefer to *know* it worked, rather than: "Well, it
*seems* to run okay..."  and then have it crash when I complete
the game, or something equally-frustrating.

And of course, by the time this is discovered, you've forgotten
where this wee gem of a program was obtained from, or the site is
gone, or...

Paranoid.  Yeah, well...

Nathan.
--

                                Just because you're not paranoid,
                         it doesn't mean they're *not* after you.

1. Did Sir Clive Sinclair paid for his title of Sir?

In this page http://www.lepot.com.ar/lasleyes.htm (sorry, in spanish,
from Chile) there is this text:

"Sir Clive Sinclair, presidente de Sinclair Research, negocio su
titulo de lord por un cheque de 39.000 libras"

The traslation to English is this:

"Sir Clive Sinclair, president of Sinclair Research, negotiated his
Lord title by a check of 39000 pounds"

Is this true or is false?

Pedrete

2. CD writer for SparcStation 20?

3. Classic MP3 Speccy Tunes

4. sendmail+Courier IMAP - how to?

5. New Spectrum +4 Specifications straight from Sir Clive Sinclair!

6. TXL

7. If you were Sir Clive Sinclair....

8. Newest Release

9. Sir Clive!

10. Sir Clive on BBC web site..

11. Sir Clive is a lad!!

12. "Sir Clive liked boffin me C5 times a night"

13. Sir Clive/Matthew Smith/Speccy frame-grabs from Thumb Candy...