YSRnRY: Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?

YSRnRY: Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?

Post by Nick Humphrie » Sun, 01 Jun 2003 22:40:04

OK, so I take a week off work to flake out and relax because I'm exhausted. I
can't sleep, so buy some herbal Nytol sleeping pills - I usually get the
"real" ones, but as I was shopping at Tescos, this is all they had.

The first night I took them I became incredibly relaxed.

Mmmmmmmmm...

Then, out of nowhere, this little brainwave came in...

"Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?" - a twist on "Name That Game" thingies. I
was up for the rest of the night thinking it through.

Three days later, and here it is:

        http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/cgi-bin/squil.pl

It's mostly complete, just need to add instructions to the front page and also
do a reporting tool on how many people got how far into the questions.

There are ten rounds, each one increasing in obscurity. It's probably a bit
too hard, let me know what you think.

Your answers are remembered and form the basis for future players when they do
a Phone A Friend or Ask The Audience (in this case, Phone a Player, Ask
Previous Players).

Bear in mind that just because you phone or ask someone for their opinion,
they might be wrong :)

| The Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years:        http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/ |
| The YSRnRY TV Show (Coming Soon)     http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/ |
| The Tipshop:                           http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/ |

Post by Bigg » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:08:57

> "Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?" - a twist on "Name That Game" thingies. I
> was up for the rest of the night thinking it through.

Hey, I won hundreds! Where do I get da money? Gimme da money! [1]

(It's niiiiiiiiiice! I'd make the logo smaller, though - having to
scroll up and down at every question is a PITA)

[1] Er, billions. It's *ive :-)

--

|'o\| |/o \/o \/o \ |  On The aaria: http://www.veryComputer.com/
|._/|_|\__/\__/\__/ | *An out of control ego will sometimes get in the
       /_/ /_/      |  way of your success.                  (Todd H.)

Post by Nick Humphrie » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:11:17

>> "Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?" - a twist on "Name That Game" thingies. I
>> was up for the rest of the night thinking it through.

>Hey, I won hundreds! Where do I get da money? Gimme da money! [1]

One squillionaire so far :)

Quote:>(It's niiiiiiiiiice! I'd make the logo smaller, though - having to
>scroll up and down at every question is a PITA)

<loads up PSP and captures the screen>

Eeek, 700 pixels high... (I use a 1600x1200 screen) I'll do something about
that...

Quote:>[1] Er, billions. It's *ive :-)

| The Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years:        http://www.veryComputer.com/|
| The YSRnRY TV Show (Coming Soon)     http://www.veryComputer.com/|
| The Tipshop:                           http://www.veryComputer.com/|

Post by Bigg » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:15:16

> Eeek, 700 pixels high... (I use a 1600x1200 screen) I'll do something about
> that...

*Much* better now :-D

--

|'o\| |/o \/o \/o \ |  On The aaria: http://OnTheaaria.webhop.org

Post by Nick Humphrie » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:16:55

>> Eeek, 700 pixels high... (I use a 1600x1200 screen) I'll do something about
>> that...

>*Much* better now :-D

Yep, well within an 800x600 screen now.

Post by Nick Humphrie » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:19:51

>>> Eeek, 700 pixels high... (I use a 1600x1200 screen) I'll do something about
>>> that...

>>*Much* better now :-D

>Yep, well within an 800x600 screen now.

...which displays perfectly on 1024x768 resolution, so users of smaller
resolutions or web browsers with chunky menus will still have to scroll up and
down...

Post by Bigg » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:29:32

> >Yep, well within an 800x600 screen now.

> ...which displays perfectly on 1024x768 resolution

That's OK for me, I'm a new squillionaire with a 1024x768 12" LCD.

--

Post by Nick Humphrie » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 00:32:00

>> do a reporting tool on how many people got how far into the questions.

http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/cgi-bin/squilwin.pl

Will incorparate into into the front page of Squillionaire somehow...

| The Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years:        http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/ |
| The YSRnRY TV Show (Coming Soon)     http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/ |
| The Tipshop:                           http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/ |

YSRnRY: Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?

Post by Doctor J. Fri » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 02:16:00

On Sat, 31 May 2003 14:40:04 +0100, Nick Humphries

>Three days later, and here it is:

>    http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/cgi-bin/squil.pl

1st go: peanuts

2nd go: peanuts

3rd go: I'm a Squillionaire!!!

Man, that was some seriously flukey guessing.

Now cough (pun) up! ;0)

Good game, good game.</forsyth>

Frink

--
Doctor J. Frink     : 'Rampant Ribald Ringtail'
See his mind here   : http://www.cmp.liv.ac.uk/frink/

YSRnRY: Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?

Post by Cybo » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 02:59:34

Quote:> "Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?" - a twist on "Name That Game" thingies. I
> was up for the rest of the night thinking it through.

I like it! I got through to Q9 myself.

YSRnRY: Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?

Second try... I'm a squillionaire! W00t!

Post by Derek Joll » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 16:57:15

Quote:> "Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?" - a twist on "Name That Game"
> thingies. I was up for the rest of the night thinking it through.

Very nice indeed.  I had to use two lifelines on the last question, but
other than that straight through.
--
Derek Jolly (derek at rivetsoft dot freeserve dot co dot uk)
Leaner, cleaner homepage: http://rivet.50megs.com/

Post by Frodo Morri » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 20:13:56

> OK, so I take a week off work to flake out and relax because I'm exhausted. I
> can't sleep, so buy some herbal Nytol sleeping pills - I usually get the
> "real" ones, but as I was shopping at Tescos, this is all they had.

> The first night I took them I became incredibly relaxed.

> Mmmmmmmmm...

> Then, out of nowhere, this little brainwave came in...

> "Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?" - a twist on "Name That Game" thingies. I
> was up for the rest of the night thinking it through.

> Three days later, and here it is:

>    http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/cgi-bin/squil.pl

> It's mostly complete, just need to add instructions to the front page and also
> do a reporting tool on how many people got how far into the questions.

> There are ten rounds, each one increasing in obscurity. It's probably a bit
> too hard, let me know what you think.

I got through on my second go, and I haven't even played any of the
games it lists!  BTW after that I decided to have a sneaky cheat, and
noticed that if you get a question wrong you can use the 'Back' button
to have another go....and without even needing to *have* a friend to phone.

--
Frodo Morris                            http://users.ox.ac.uk/~wadh1342
All your bast are belong to us           AKA Graham Lee, Wadham College

Also the home of iloveyou.bas, the first PC virus ported to the ZX82!!!

YSRnRY: Who Wants To Be A Squillionaire?

Post by Nick Humphrie » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 20:33:36

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 12:13:56 +0100, Frodo Morris

>I got through on my second go, and I haven't even played any of the
>games it lists!  BTW after that I decided to have a sneaky cheat, and
>noticed that if you get a question wrong you can use the 'Back' button
>to have another go....and without even needing to *have* a friend to phone.

Yeah, I've been trying to find a way of stopping people from doing that. Will
have a play around...

Post by Isofarr » Mon, 02 Jun 2003 22:13:37

> On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 12:13:56 +0100, Frodo Morris

>>I got through on my second go, and I haven't even played any of the
>>games it lists!  BTW after that I decided to have a sneaky cheat, and
>>noticed that if you get a question wrong you can use the 'Back' button
>>to have another go....and without even needing to *have* a friend to
>>phone.

> Yeah, I've been trying to find a way of stopping people from doing that.

Sessions - at least to keep a record of who should be answering what
question. Then as soon as an incorrect answer is given, invalidate the
session (or delete everything in the session). Whenever your script gets a
request with no prior session, then set it up as the first question
received.

Probably could mimic the functionality of a session using nothing more than
a db file - heck, anything that persists on the server is fine.

--
Iso.
Web Standards: http://www.webstandards.org/

1. YSRnRY: Squillionaire - harder skill level

As the game's a bit easy, I've added a difficult skill level featuring the
hardest questions. I've also prevented you lot from using the "back" button to
cheat :)

| The Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years:        http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/ |
| The YSRnRY TV Show (Coming Soon)     http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/ |
| The Tipshop:                           http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/ |

2. Module Not Supported

3. YSRnRY: Please read if you link to the YSRnRY

4. R: All the software and firmware ready to download

5. YSRnRY: www.ysrnry.co.uk LIVE!

6. Linking to MSWord Document

7. YSRnRY: Screenshots wanted

8. epson 1200u>740; best scanning res?