Worst multiload games ever

Post by mark » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 01:05:17

I just got hold of Street Fighter 2 and Final Fight again for the
Spec, and hell, do these two games have the worst multiloads in the
library of Speccy games? I think I remember Street Fighter being on a
C90 cassette. Outrun for the 48K was bad, too; though US Gold was kind
enough to include a race map where you could write down tape counter
numbers :|

I want to hear your stories of multiloads that drove you to the brink
of madness!

Worst multiload games ever

Post by Dare » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 03:06:33

Quote:> I just got hold of Street Fighter 2 and Final Fight again for the
> Spec, and hell, do these two games have the worst multiloads in the
> library of Speccy games? I think I remember Street Fighter being on a
> C90 cassette. Outrun for the 48K was bad, too; though US Gold was kind
> enough to include a race map where you could write down tape counter
> numbers :|

> I want to hear your stories of multiloads that drove you to the brink
> of madness!

Fiendish Freddy's Big Top of Fun - what an utter pile of shite.

The tape was *y massive, you spent much more time loading each event,
than playing it.

They could have easily fit a few events into the 128's memory. And for some
infathomable reason, Crash decided to Smash it.

Daren

Worst multiload games ever

Post by Nick Humphrie » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 04:06:04

Quote:>I want to hear your stories of multiloads that drove you to the brink
>of madness!

48k APB. The repetitive multiload just for each animation was awful.

But the 128k version more than made up for it...

| The Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years:        http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/ |
| The YSRnRY TV Show (Coming Soon)     http://www.ysrnry.co.uk/tvprog/ |
| The Tipshop:                           http://www.the-tipshop.co.uk/ |

Worst multiload games ever

Post by Doctor J. Fri » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 04:23:32

Quote:>I just got hold of Street Fighter 2 and Final Fight again for the
>Spec, and hell, do these two games have the worst multiloads in the
>library of Speccy games? I think I remember Street Fighter being on a
>C90 cassette. Outrun for the 48K was bad, too; though US Gold was kind
>enough to include a race map where you could write down tape counter
>numbers :|

>I want to hear your stories of multiloads that drove you to the brink
>of madness!

I seem to remember Gauntlet being a particular ache in the*. Especially
if the game would be happy to load but not the levels. Damn Azimuth!

Frink

--
Doctor J. Frink     : 'Luminous Lunar Lemur'
See his mind here   : http://www.veryComputer.com/

Worst multiload games ever

Post by Nick Humphrie » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 04:41:35

Quote:>I seem to remember Gauntlet being a particular ache in the*. Especially
>if the game would be happy to load but not the levels. Damn Azimuth!

Nah, the multiload itself was fine - perfect in fact for having a breather
between levels. At the end of the game, just rewind to the start of side two.

World Clas Leaderboard was an arse - each hole of the four courses had to be
loaded individually, with no 128k version and no disk version...

| The Your Sinclair Rock'n'Roll Years:        http://www.veryComputer.com/|
| The YSRnRY TV Show (Coming Soon)     http://www.veryComputer.com/|
| The Tipshop:                           http://www.veryComputer.com/|

Worst multiload games ever

Post by Fuzzbucke » Wed, 19 Mar 2003 06:36:28

> I just got hold of Street Fighter 2 and Final Fight again for the
> Spec, and hell, do these two games have the worst multiloads in the
> library of Speccy games? I think I remember Street Fighter being on a
>  C90 cassette. Outrun for the 48K was bad, too; though US Gold was
> kind enough to include a race map where you could write down tape
> counter numbers :|

> I want to hear your stories of multiloads that drove you to the brink
>  of madness!

Super Hang On used to drive me nuts purely because it let you load any
part you liked (around 10 minutes for each one...)
Kind of made progress through the game seem pointless.

--
http://www.fuzzbucket.tk/
Still just another blog

Worst multiload games ever

Post by Llama-Wax Le » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:27:16

Quote:

> I want to hear your stories of multiloads that drove you to the brink
> of madness!

My problem with multiloads was that you often never knew what games were
going to load all levels at once and what were going to load them
individually. So you'd be sitting there waiting for ages, and after
appearing to load a couple of levels, it would still be going. So you think
"this is taking ages, I'll go and get some scran and a drink" then when you
get back you discover it loaded not long after you left the room, and now
the tape has continued past a few other levels and you have to try and get
the tape back to right place again. Damn it.

Len
--
Remove SPAMOFF to reply
"Oh, the nobility of the almost human porpoise!"

Worst multiload games ever

Post by x56h3 » Thu, 20 Mar 2003 05:33:27

Quote:> My problem with multiloads was that you often never knew what games were
> going to load all levels at once and what were going to load them
> individually. So you'd be sitting there waiting for ages, and after
> appearing to load a couple of levels, it would still be going. So you
think
> "this is taking ages, I'll go and get some scran and a drink" then when
you
> get back you discover it loaded not long after you left the room, and now
> the tape has continued past a few other levels and you have to try and get
> the tape back to right place again. Damn it.

And this was especially annoying with the +2, as there was no tape-counter
on the built-in drive. :( You had to sit there with the finger on the pause
button, and be on alert for the loading to finish. Oh yes, and when you die
at later levels you had to rewind so you could start from level one, and it
was REALLY fun without the counter...arrrggggghhhhhhhhh!

1. World Cup Carnival - worst game ever?

Remember this hideous spectacle of a World Cup cash-in? A spooge of
Artic's crap footy game with a vague World Cup theme? Possibly the worst
game ever for the ZX Spectrum?

I work with one of the people responsible for it, and I'd just like you
all to know that he's sorry. He did it in about two weeks, because there
was some disaster with the game US Gold was planning to produce.

His name is Adam Waring and he's now deputy editor of PC Format. If you
have any WCC reminiscences you'd like to share, why not post them up and
I'll pass them on to him.

Jim.

2. A hint of the Y2K Bug

3. Worst game ever?

4. Recognizing a content-class created using CDO/ADO as a SPS profile

5. Results: The worst company ever

6. amiga rom file

7. Worst joystick ever...

8. How to change position of toolbar on taskbar?

9. The worst game eve (was Re: name this game)

10. Does worst case in any situation is the worst?

11. Game catchphrases (was: Re: Best BASIC game ever)

12. A worst Speccy games thread with a difference...

13. Worst Game!