How do i connect Sinclairs to the net??

Post by Sa » Sat, 18 May 1996 04:00:00

How would i do this? I have 2 speccys, 2 zx81's with one RAM pack, and
a z88. I was just wondering, could i connect them to recieve mail and
news? My modem is a 28,800 external. I could connect it straight to
the Z88, but wouldn't i need a winsock?

So, is there any software to connect these to a PPP account? Does
anybody want to write some? It would be the coolest thing ever to
download this group on the ZX81. There must be loads of bored,
talented ZX programmers looking for a university project.

anybody??

Sam.

                             http://www.u-net.com/~beavis/renstimp.htm

Post by Damion Yat » Tue, 21 May 1996 04:00:00

: How would i do this? I have 2 speccys, 2 zx81's with one RAM pack, and
: a z88. I was just wondering, could i connect them to recieve mail and
: news? My modem is a 28,800 external. I could connect it straight to
: the Z88, but wouldn't i need a winsock?

: So, is there any software to connect these to a PPP account? Does
: anybody want to write some? It would be the coolest thing ever to
: download this group on the ZX81. There must be loads of bored,
: talented ZX programmers looking for a university project.

: anybody??

Yet another one of my "after my degree" projects.. however this one is NOT
very high on my list of priorities.

: Sam.

: ----------------------------------------------------------------------

:                              http://www.u-net.com/~beavis/renstimp.htm

--
Damion Yates - Sheffield Uni, UK.
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~exxdmy

How do i connect Sinclairs to the net??

Post by Dharkh » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

writes:

Quote:>How would i do this? I have 2 speccys, 2 zx81's with one RAM pack, and
>a z88. I was just wondering, could i connect them to recieve mail and
>news? My modem is a 28,800 external. I could connect it straight to
>the Z88, but wouldn't i need a winsock?

Wouldn't it be easier to get a BBS-type internet account, which has
support
for terminal emulation? I would imagine it would be pretty easy to connect
to something like Compuserve using the Z88, modem & built-in terminal
program.

It would be interesting to hear of anyone who has attempted something
like this and got it to work...

Garry Lancaster

Z88 Links Page:  http://members.aol.com/Z88forever/z88home.htm

How do i connect Sinclairs to the net??

Post by Steve Lak » Wed, 22 May 1996 04:00:00

Well, when you say "Connect" it depends if you mean like telnet or like
WWW.

It all depends on your ISP anyway, but if you have a unix box that you
can 'phone into and get a straight text connection, then it's not a
problem. Just get an old Speccy 1200Baud modem and dial into that.

If your ISP hasn't got that sort of thing then it's a bit more
complicated and we need to start thinking about writing IP clients and
things like that for the Speccy. That's something I wouldn't even dare
to think about.

Hope that helps

Steve