flashing Cable light on RCA Cable Modem

Post by mike clar » Fri, 27 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Have tci(att) at home  for about a month and now for 30-hours have had just
a blinking light on the cable light. Have tried unplugging, resetting etc
but cant get the cable-modem to sync again. Any one have any ideas. Tech
support to be here in several days. Didn't really believe all the stories

service at all. and only a month into the service.

flashing Cable light on RCA Cable Modem

Post by makaro.. » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Mike,

The blinking light (assuming it's the one labeled "cable") means the
modem is attempting to obtain block-synch with the CMTS (or "master"
cable modem located at the headend).  There are numerous possibilities
as to why it doesn't work.  You can be sure, though, that when that
light is blinking your service won't ever work.

When the techs show up, you might want to ask what brand CMTS is in use.
 There is a lot of flack about the 3Com CMTS systems (some time ago

ones from Cisco).  In my area (State College, PA), the local techs are
attributing my problems to the 3Com CMTS.  Please post a follow-up as to
your experience.

John Patterson

> Have tci(att) at home  for about a month and now for 30-hours have had
just
> a blinking light on the cable light. Have tried unplugging, resetting
etc
> but cant get the cable-modem to sync again. Any one have any ideas.
Tech
> support to be here in several days. Didn't really believe all the
stories

no

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

flashing Cable light on RCA Cable Modem

Post by Dean » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have the roadrunner service, and motorola cable modem, but had exactely
the same problem.  It only took 2days for Time Warner to come out after very
bad service over the phone("Our shows to be fine, try restarting your
computer")  Anyway it turned out to be too much noise in the lines here were
I lived and they were able to get it going again by resetting the connection
at the server, something they could of done on the phone if they weren't a
bunch of $5/hr tech support high school dropouts.  Also they said they were
coming back with a splitter to eliminate this problem someday.

Post by Bill » Sat, 28 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>Have tci(att) at home  for about a month and now for 30-hours have had just
>a blinking light on the cable light. Have tried unplugging, resetting etc
>but cant get the cable-modem to sync again. Any one have any ideas. Tech
>support to be here in several days. Didn't really believe all the stories

>service at all. and only a month into the service.

month. Then, began to regularly lose sync - on a few hours then off.
About 6 calls to tech support later, still the same. Brought out a new
RCA modem, right! We don't oversell. right! They're really clueless.
Next appointment a week from now.
Sigh...it was good while it lasted

flashing Cable light on RCA Cable Modem

Post by Chris Victo » Sun, 29 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Mine did the same thing, until I had them 'reset the profile in the
Cisco Router' where
the master modem is. Evidently, the Cisco router had some early
(Misconfigured) routing information
and my RCA modem would sync up, stay in sync for abt 3 seconds, then the
email&&activity&&cable lights would
stay on for about 5 seconds WITH THE Power light going OFF [read this as
the RCA modem resetting itself] and
the whole process would start again.

Of course the line techs did their best and 'shot the line' from my drop
back to the headend, and
it was fine (<1/2dbmv) loss, so it wasn't a cable drop issue.

After 1 week of this, it finally started working after I insisted to be
transferred up to a

office can't even get their own
service, imagine that!!!)

3 weeks and counting, working just fine...

Chris V.

> >Have tci(att) at home  for about a month and now for 30-hours have had just
> >a blinking light on the cable light. Have tried unplugging, resetting etc
> >but cant get the cable-modem to sync again. Any one have any ideas. Tech
> >support to be here in several days. Didn't really believe all the stories

> >service at all. and only a month into the service.

> month. Then, began to regularly lose sync - on a few hours then off.
> About 6 calls to tech support later, still the same. Brought out a new
> RCA modem, right! We don't oversell. right! They're really clueless.
> Next appointment a week from now.
> Sigh...it was good while it lasted

flashing Cable light on RCA Cable Modem

Post by XZaapryc » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I had the very same problem.  Earlier this evening while moving some
equipment around I bumped a powerstrip and cut the juice to my RCA DCM105.
Upon restoring the power  the cable modem would not get a connection.  I

there was nothing wrong in my area (Vancouver, WA, across the river from
Portland, OR) he was unable to access the Vancouver system to set up a tech
call.  :)

Now, about six hours later, I'm hooked up to my work's RAS via analog modem
reading this thread of news and the damn thing is working!  I just started
reading the thread and BAM!  I have cable.  Heh...  Time to restart the "Oh
shit!" timer.

Mattj

> Have tci(att) at home  for about a month and now for 30-hours have had
just
> a blinking light on the cable light. Have tried unplugging, resetting etc
> but cant get the cable-modem to sync again. Any one have any ideas. Tech
> support to be here in several days. Didn't really believe all the stories

> service at all. and only a month into the service.

1. RCA Modem Activity light flashes continuously

I've found a pretty good way to make my RCA modem activity
light flash continuously:  I just start up my PC!

Here is the setup:  3 PCs and 1 Mac on a 5-port Hub.
Cable modem on uplink port (port 1 cannot be used).
The Mac runs IPNetrouter to do NAT so the PC's can
connect to the net.  The PCs have file and print sharing
enabled using NETBEUI protocol (nothing bound to TCP/IP).
All the PCs have 192.168.0.xx addresses. The Mac masquerades
at 192.168.0.1 and is set as the gateway in the PC setup.

Internet access from Mac and PCs works without problems.
(and the security checks show no vulnerabilities for the PCs).

Whenever I start up one of the PCs, it does something that
makes the cable modem activity light flash continuously.  There is
no data transfer to the hub.  The activity goes away (for a while)
if I reset the cable modem.  However the trigger from the PC
apparently can happen at other times that at startup.

This wouldn't bug me a lot, except whatever activity is going
on seems to reduce my download rate by about 1/2.  I guess
my incoming packets have to compete with whatever is happening
continuously.   I think I will put Zone alarm on one of the PCs
and see if it catches the outgoing packet that triggers
the activity.

Anyone have any guesses about what is going on??

Mark Borgerson

2. Battery monitor

3. Cable modem "Activity" light flashing when not in use

4. Ballmer Contradicts Lawyers in Interview

5. Cable modem data light keeps flashing

6. Send Thousand of Newsgroup Posts

7. Data light always flashing on cable modem?

8. create option for cell library not avail....

9. Rp114 and Cable Modem activity light keeps flashing

10. Cable light on modem always flashes

11. Cable Light on Modem Blinks/Flashes most of time

12. Road Runner in Columbus and a flashing cable light on modem and no connect!

13. 1st problem with cable modem...cable light blinking