dedicated 56k hardware question.

Post by Derek Chadse » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone suggest the best CSU/Router combination to terminate a
dedicated 56K line for linkage to a file server? Any input would be
appreciated.
Thanks
*"Good work is the key to good fortune" *
*"Why are we here? Because were here! Roll dem' Bones"
- Neil Peart-aka GOD
Derek M. Chadsey (617)824-4123 :)
Milcom Corporation
Information Systems

Post by Aaron Leona » Sat, 14 Mar 1998 04:00:00

|Can anyone suggest the best CSU/Router combination to terminate a
|dedicated 56K line for linkage to a file server? Any input would be
|appreciated.
|Thanks

In my experience, pretty much all 56Kbps CSU/DSUs will do a good
job, although some may have more troubleshooting features others.

As far as routers go, obviously I'm biased.  A good solution for
this application would be a Cisco 1602 which has an Ethernet port
and a builtin 56Kbps CSU/DSU, or else (if you'd rather have an
external CSU/DSU), a 1601 or 1005.
See http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/728/1600/c1600_pa.htm (1600)
and http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/prod_cat/79963.htm (1000).

Aaron

1. FS: Dedicated dialup Internet connection + hardware

Available immediately: dedicated Internet connection from the Colorado
Internet Cooperative Association.  This is a full-time dialup
connection for the Boulder/Denver area via 33.6K modem that costs
$50/month + $100/year for Coop annual membership (paid up through
through the end of 1998).

This dedicated connection allows you do to many things not possible
with conventional dialup connections.  Most importantly, it allows you
to run a WWW or other server that must remain available at all times.
This could be useful if you need to run E-Commerce applications or
other CGI applications that other ISPs cannot support, or use a Mac or
Windows-based WWW server.  It also allows unlimited email address
creation and unlimited database sizes because you control the server.

While the limited bandwidth of a 33.6K line would seem to be a
problem, it really isn't in many applications because you can store
images and other large data that must be transfered to the browser on
remote servers with higher-bandwidth connections (see
http://www.firesite.com/ for a product that automates this process).

The startup charge for new service of this type is currently $1700
(which is the same price we paid 3 years ago, see
http://www.coop.net/services/dial.htm for details).  This pays for the
equipment (router port and modem) at the Coop end of the connection.
Rather than let this investment just go to waste, the Coop will allow
us to transfer this connection and our membership to another
organization at no charge.  Startup charges from other ISPs are much
lower, but monthly rates are much higher.  For example:

Rocky Mountain Internet
http://www.rmi.net/home/services/dialup.shtml
Private Port Service
      $100 account setup charge
      $199 per calendar month

OnRamp
http://www.orci.com/neworci/pages/service.dedicated.html
Dedicated Connection
      $75 setup
      $200 monthly

easy.net
http://eazy.net/
Dedicated 33.6K
      $100 startup
      $175 monthly

Dimensional:
http://www.dimensional.com/price.html
Dedicated Dialup (33.6Kbps)
      $150/month + $100 setup ($1650/year)

We are asking $450 for this connection, which represents a payback
time of 3 to 4 months when compared with using one of these other
ISPs.  After that, you'll be saving $100 to $150 a month.  We'll even
throw in a 33K modem for your end of the connection!

We've been extremely satisfied with quality and reliability of this
service which was our primary connection at first and is currently in
use as a backup route.  For more information, please contact me at

PS: This is a pretty unusual thing to be offering for sale, and I'd
appreciate it if you would forward this message to any individuals who
may be interested in a service like this, or send me any suggestions
about where else to post this announcement.

2. Novell NFS gateway question

3. Replacing Steelhead with dedicated hardware

4. Communication Manager - sdlc connection?

5. Slowness response time for ipx over 56K dedicated line

6. mode_def for Agfa P400PS sought.

7. Is 56K dedicated data line cheaper than BRI?

8. Y2K Community Prep & Communications System

9. CSU & Router recomendations for 56K dedicated line?

10. Need info on pricing comparison: public vs. dedicated 56K

11. Hardware/Hardware vs. Hardware/Software VPN