How Fast & How Much?

Post by D & P Frank » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have cable modem in Las Vegas Nv. & want to compare it to the rest of
the country for speed & price.

I'm paying $39.95 a month for 512kbps up & 64kbps down. My downloads
speeds average between 300-450 kbps, while my upload speeds average
20kbps-50kbps. I realize this is faster than the regular dial-up modems,
but I feel i'm not getting my most bang for the buck.

    Thanks for replys, Dave

How Fast & How Much?

Post by John Oliv » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On Sat, 27 Jun 1998 16:05:32 -0700, D & P Franks

>I'm paying $39.95 a month for 512kbps up & 64kbps down. My downloads
>speeds average between 300-450 kbps, while my upload speeds average
>20kbps-50kbps. I realize this is faster than the regular dial-up modems,
>but I feel i'm not getting my most bang for the buck.

I'm paying that much for 768 Kb/s upstream and (theoretically) 10 Mb/s
down.

IMPORTANT!!! >>> **********************************
DO NOT JUST HIT REPLY!!!!

I have been forced to make it a little more difficult
to reach me via email, due to the amounts of spam
that results if I post in the clear.  I can be reached
by emailing joliver at oliver dot escondido dot ca dot
us.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

How Fast & How Much?

Post by Doug Burges » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Bits?? Bytes??

768 KiloBytes is about = to 10 Megabit?

Yes, No

> On Sat, 27 Jun 1998 16:05:32 -0700, D & P Franks

> >I'm paying $39.95 a month for 512kbps up & 64kbps down. My downloads
> >speeds average between 300-450 kbps, while my upload speeds average
> >20kbps-50kbps. I realize this is faster than the regular dial-up modems,
> >but I feel i'm not getting my most bang for the buck.

> I'm paying that much for 768 Kb/s upstream and (theoretically) 10 Mb/s
> down.

> --
> IMPORTANT!!! >>> **********************************
> DO NOT JUST HIT REPLY!!!!

> I have been forced to make it a little more difficult
> to reach me via email, due to the amounts of spam
> that results if I post in the clear.  I can be reached
> by emailing joliver at oliver dot escondido dot ca dot
> us.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

How Fast & How Much?

Post by Darrell Daniel » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

No, generally a small "b" refers to bits and a large "B" is bytes, the
downstream and upstream specs on a motorola *sufer are specified in bits,
768 kilo-bits up and 10 mega bits down, although you will rarely see these
speeds, most average 40 kilobytes up max and 400-500 kilobytes down max, most
sites on the net cant even pump it out that fast anyway, to convert the two a
factor of ten is an okay rule of thumb 100 kilo-bytes/sec is real close to
1Mbits/sec, I certainly dont want to start the old 8 bits to byte thread war,
downloading the same file in an ftp program that expresses both, its very close
to 10, Darrell

200 PORT command successful.
RETR bigfile
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for bigfile(15974655 bytes).
Received 15974655 bytes in 25.0 secs, (6.11 Mbps), transfer succeeded
226 Transfer complete.

200 PORT command successful.
RETR bigfile
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for bigfile(15974655 bytes).
Received 15974655 bytes in 24.9 secs, (626.24 KBps), transfer succeeded
226 Transfer complete.

> Bits?? Bytes??

> 768 KiloBytes is about = to 10 Megabit?

> Yes, No

How Fast & How Much?

Post by Ted » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I have an internet cable setup here in Los Angeles and most of the time it's
lightening fast. Compared to the 28.8 dial up that I was using it's like
night and day. I wouldn't know how to measure the speed of down and uploads.
You quoted your speeds....how did you determine them ?

Quote:> I have cable modem in Las Vegas Nv. & want to compare it to the rest of
> the country for speed & price.

> I'm paying $39.95 a month for 512kbps up & 64kbps down. My downloads
> speeds average between 300-450 kbps, while my upload speeds average
> 20kbps-50kbps. I realize this is faster than the regular dial-up modems,
> but I feel i'm not getting my most bang for the buck.

>     Thanks for replys, Dave

How Fast & How Much?

Post by Jung Moo » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>On Sat, 27 Jun 1998 16:05:32 -0700, D & P Franks

>>I'm paying $39.95 a month for 512kbps up & 64kbps down. My downloads
>>speeds average between 300-450 kbps, while my upload speeds average
>>20kbps-50kbps. I realize this is faster than the regular dial-up modems,
>>but I feel i'm not getting my most bang for the buck.

>I'm paying that much for 768 Kb/s upstream and (theoretically) 10 Mb/s
>down.

Dont listen to him.  Most cities dont have Superfast cable networks as his
city does.  Your speed will continueously increase because the system is
scalable.  And once fibre optic cable lines are installed in your city youll
get the 10mb too:)