AUI 2 AUI inverted cable

Post by Francesco Messin » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Hi all,
I'd need to connect two ethernet board with the two AUI outputs. Can I do it?
If I can, how I have to make the cable?
Thanks in advance. Please answer by mail if possible.

AUI 2 AUI inverted cable

Post by Sam » Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Messineo) writes:

>Hi all,
>I'd need to connect two ethernet board with the two AUI outputs. Can I
do it?
>If I can, how I have to make the cable?
>Thanks in advance. Please answer by mail if possible.

    Frank, you will need to purchase (unless you have them) 2-AUI to
10base2 or 10BaseT transceivers.  Use 10Base2 if you plan to hook up
more than 2 computer (now or later).  Then connect coax (with BNC T
connector & 50 ohm terminator) to each machine.
    If it's 10baseT, use a 10baseT-10baseT cable (it must be a
'special' reversed 10baseT cable to work.

    pinout
        RJ45        RJ45
        1           3
        2           6
        3           1
        6           2

 1 & 2 MUST be a pair, and 3 & 6 MUST be a pair, for this cable to work
correctly.

    Hope this helps.

    Sam Parthemer
    Datalink Solutions, Inc.
    San Diego, CA.
    "All the RIGHT Connections!"

AUI 2 AUI inverted cable

Post by DCONG.. » Sun, 30 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Hi all,
>I'd need to connect two ethernet board with the two AUI outputs. Can I do it?
>If I can, how I have to make the cable?
>Thanks in advance. Please answer by mail if possible.

Yes and No.  It IS possible to make an AUI null-modem type cable to
connect two machines together without tranceivers and an ethernet
(coax) cable.  The downside is that it will not necessarily work
with ordinary network software.  The reason is that there is no
collision detect, SQE (heartbeat), or loopback.  Normal software
checks these and will bomb out if they are not there (at least
collision detect).  If you are directly driving the ethernet yourself
via custom software, then you might pull it off.

On the other hand, if you have a 10BASE-T connection on your card as
well as AUI, you CAN make a perfectly viable 10BASE-T null-modem cable
which can connect two machines without a hub.  This works ONLY for two
machines and no more.  In this case, just cross-connect TX+ to RX+
and TX- to RX- and you're in business.

What you really need to get is the ethernet FAQ which is updated by
comp.dcom.lans.ethernet.  You can get the latest from:

steph.admin.umass.edu   /pub/faqs/ethernet.faq

Hope this helps!

   Don Congdon                    | Those who scorn computer history
   Consultant                     | are those who really don't grasp
   Congdon ComputerTECH Services  | what is happening today and will

AUI 2 AUI inverted cable

Post by afschw » Mon, 31 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:: Messineo) writes:

: >
: >

:
:     pinout
:         RJ45        RJ45
:         1           3
:         2           6
:         3           1
:         6           2

:  1 & 2 MUST be a pair, and 3 & 6 MUST be a pair, for this cable to work
: correctly.
:
:
:
:     Hope this helps.
:
:     Sam Parthemer
:     Datalink Solutions, Inc.
:     San Diego, CA.
:     "All the RIGHT Connections!"

        Frank-
        Sam's right on this one.  To the pin-out on each connection.  Go
with it.  I did a simular one but I had an additional ground to*
with.  I took the ground to the chassis and it worked fine.  Good luck.
        Al Schwartz III

AUI 2 AUI inverted cable

Post by Jeff Wol » Mon, 31 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>: Messineo) writes:
>    Sam's right on this one.  To the pin-out on each connection.  Go
>with it.  I did a simular one but I had an additional ground to*
>with.  I took the ground to the chassis and it worked fine.  Good luck.

If you're going between racks, rooms or buildings fiber has less
potential problems. (so to speak :)  It's just as easy, use 2 FOIRL
transcievers and fiber cable. Fiber is less susceptable to energy transfer
between racks which could fry your electronics.

If this isn't in the FAQ we should add it..

-Jeff

1. AUI Trans to AUI Trans cable

I have a 10FL to AUI transceiver and a AUI to 10BT transceiver.  I need
to connect them together so I have a 10FL to 10BT.  Both get power from
what they plug into.  A few questions.

1.  Can I connect 2 transceivers together?
2.  I know its 3 to 5 and 10 to 12 for xover but which pins are power?
3.  Is 10BT 12 volt and will the NIC provide enough power to power both
devices?

Thanks,
Guy

RISC Office              Voice (330) 672-3425
Residence Services       Fax   (330) 672-2579
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242

2. S/MIME encryption on R5

3. AUI-AUI CrossOver Cable

4. document formats

5. AUI to AUI cable

6. Picons Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

7. AUI to AUI cable needed HELP!

8. Can I upgrade?

9. AUI <-> AUI cabling question

10. AUI to AUI cable