Peer-to-peer UDP game support in Linux Masq as of 2.1.131ac11

Peer-to-peer UDP game support in Linux Masq as of 2.1.131ac11

Post by Dan Kege » Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Linux IP Masquerading supports peer-to-peer UDP games
as of kernel 2.1.131ac11, thanks to a patch from Juanjo.
Any UDP peer-to-peer game that uses the technique outlined at
  http://alumni.caltech.edu/~dank/peer-nat.html
should work behind a Masqerading host runing 2.1.131ac11
or later without any special port forwarding.  This
should be a big improvement over current practice-
users and NAT developers will no longer need to write
or load special code for each game.

The first games known to use this technique
are Heavy Gear 2 Demo and Battlezone, and they
may require an update (see the above URL).

DirectPlay does not yet support this technique, but
there is at least one game networking API that does,
so it's likely that more games will use this technique
in the future.
- Dan

--
Speaking only for myself, not for my employer

1. DUN with Win95 peer-to-peer -> UDP sockets?

Scenario:
        Two Win95 machines connected via peer-to-peer network.
        Machine A running Sygate 2.0.
        Machine B has an external ISDN adapter.

Should there be any problem with an app on machine B opening a UDP
(datagram) socket that it wants to go through the RAS adapter? It
appears that Windows is creating the UDP socket on the NIC in machine
B. (I suspect this because the socket create and send functions return
success, but no data is ever actually sent to the modem nor is any
received back).

Is there any way to force it to use the RAS adapter?

Thanks,
Don

2. read only files

3. Help me Please with Linux Peer-to-Peer networking please

4. Active Directory Password Recovery

5. PPP 2.2 and Linux 1.2.13 errors

6. metafont <! Variable ljfour ... obliterated.> gloom

7. Pb with chat under Linux 1.2.13 , Slackware 3.0.0

8. ***Help with Internet Mail and News.***

9. CHAP in TRUMPET 3.0 vs LINUX 1.2.13

10. Linux 1.2.13 & pppd2.2.0f not negotiating link

11. ppp 2.2.0f and mgetty 0.98 under linux 1.2.13 ?

12. Setting up a PPP server with linux 1.2.13

13. Q: "bad fcs" / pppd2.1.2, Linux 1.2.13