@home in Livermore,Dublin area

Post by Tim Bousca » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

sharing a cable modem between two computers.  Some have said they will offer
additional IPs for low rates, ($6-$7), some have said higher.  My experience
has been that they WON'T offer an additional IP address at all.  Am I
talking to the wrong person or do they have different policies in different
areas?
Now a question,  can the cable modem be directly connected to the "uplink"
port on my hub?  I have peer to peer networking up and running without a
cable modem, and I would like to be able to simply plug the cable in.  I
haven't seen anyone ask about this specifically.  Any information would be
greatly appreciated.

Post by Scott Pritchet » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> sharing a cable modem between two computers.  Some have said they will offer
> additional IPs for low rates, ($6-$7), some have said higher.  My experience
> has been that they WON'T offer an additional IP address at all.  Am I
> talking to the wrong person or do they have different policies in different
> areas?
> Now a question,  can the cable modem be directly connected to the "uplink"
> port on my hub?  I have peer to peer networking up and running without a
> cable modem, and I would like to be able to simply plug the cable in.  I
> haven't seen anyone ask about this specifically.  Any information would be
> greatly appreciated.

Hello Tim,

were
made available.  It was frustrating for my son and me when one or both of us
wanted to participate in games over the "Zone".  NAT doesn't support the ones we
play.  I can confirm that multiple IP addresses are now available in this area.
You just go to the members home page and sign up.  An automated process gives you
the second IP address immediately and off you go.  You are responsible for getting
the hub, (I got a cute little 5-port from In-direct in Fremont for $32) and other
cabling.  I actually have two hubs now, one for internal file/printer sharing and

access have two NICs each.  For the second (internet) NIC I got a $10 NE2000 clone.

Right now during the "beta" phase, the second IP address is free.  The web page says
it will cost $4.95/month eventually.

It's a piece of cake overall.

Best Wishes,
Scott Pritchett

Post by Kevin Oberma » Fri, 26 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> sharing a cable modem between two computers.  Some have said they will offer
> additional IPs for low rates, ($6-$7), some have said higher.  My experience
> has been that they WON'T offer an additional IP address at all.  Am I
> talking to the wrong person or do they have different policies in different
> areas?

I guess you are talking to the wrong person if "won't" means "won't

and I have heard that they will be available shortly to all customers.

If you want to try this under the beta, you are too late. They have
all the testers that they need.

Quote:> Now a question,  can the cable modem be directly connected to the "uplink"
> port on my hub?  I have peer to peer networking up and running without a
> cable modem, and I would like to be able to simply plug the cable in.  I
> haven't seen anyone ask about this specifically.  Any information would be
> greatly appreciated.

Sure, but you can only have one other system on the hub that can

There are several work-arounds, none of which can be called "elegant"
and they are much discussed in this group. Dejanews should be able to
find them for you, or just watch this newsgroup for a day or two and
they will be discussed again.

I've been told that multiple addresses will be available sometime next
month (in Livermore-Dublin), so you should be able to just plug your
hub into the cable modem before long. At least I hope so since I have
three systems that I want to get on-line soon.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

Post by Greg Voelke » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> sharing a cable modem between two computers.  Some have said they will offer
> additional IPs for low rates, ($6-$7), some have said higher.  My experience
> has been that they WON'T offer an additional IP address at all.  Am I
> talking to the wrong person or do they have different policies in different
> areas?
> Now a question,  can the cable modem be directly connected to the "uplink"
> port on my hub?  I have peer to peer networking up and running without a
> cable modem, and I would like to be able to simply plug the cable in.  I
> haven't seen anyone ask about this specifically.  Any information would be
> greatly appreciated.

      Tim, I have the service in Livermore and I have multiple IPs (2) right
NOW. I have it set just like you have described it. I have the cable modem
attached to the uplink port on the hub and both PCs connected to the other
ports. Each PC has its own IP and hostname, no proxy, no NAT, a direct link to
the internet. My brother which has the secondary address can play airwarrior
while I play Quake2, no noticable slowdowns at all on either PC. Right now its
in its beta stages here so its free. Once the beta testing is over it will an
additional $4.95 per month, well worth it since you don't have to invest in
another ethernet card and maintain a proxy that doesn't work with half the games
or programs you have (been there).
    Before they give you your additional IP they warn you that they will not
support the addition hardware needed or offer any expertise in setting  up the

groups for its customers.

    Greg Voelker

@home in Livermore,Dublin area

Post by Doug Burges » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Oh well, I guess the purchase of Sygate and an Extra NIC was premature.
More money down the computer tube.

> sharing a cable modem between two computers.  Some have said they will offer
> additional IPs for low rates, ($6-$7), some have said higher.  My experience
> has been that they WON'T offer an additional IP address at all.  Am I
> talking to the wrong person or do they have different policies in different
> areas?
> Now a question,  can the cable modem be directly connected to the "uplink"
> port on my hub?  I have peer to peer networking up and running without a
> cable modem, and I would like to be able to simply plug the cable in.  I
> haven't seen anyone ask about this specifically.  Any information would be
> greatly appreciated.

@home in Livermore,Dublin area

Post by Chri » Sat, 27 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I know what you mean!  I bought NAT1000 not more than 2 months ago and
now I find out that I can get additional IP's!  Well, I needed to get
access to my VPN setup at work and we only use IPSec so I had no choice (

interested in buying my 5 user copy of NAT1000?  If its legal of
course...

Chris

> Oh well, I guess the purchase of Sygate and an Extra NIC was premature.
> More money down the computer tube.

> > sharing a cable modem between two computers.  Some have said they will offer
> > additional IPs for low rates, ($6-$7), some have said higher.  My experience
> > has been that they WON'T offer an additional IP address at all.  Am I
> > talking to the wrong person or do they have different policies in different
> > areas?
> > Now a question,  can the cable modem be directly connected to the "uplink"
> > port on my hub?  I have peer to peer networking up and running without a
> > cable modem, and I would like to be able to simply plug the cable in.  I
> > haven't seen anyone ask about this specifically.  Any information would be
> > greatly appreciated.

1. Phone Outage in Livermore, CA Area

[Moderator's Note: Mark passed along this interesting item. Thanks.  PAT]

  Date: 18 Feb 1993 09:06:10 U

  Subject: "Telephone Service Cut Off"

The {Valley Times} (Feb.18) reported that telephone service was cut
off for more than four hours to about 37,000 phone lines in Livermore,
CA including "911" and operator "O" lines. The article said that "the
significance (of the malfunction) was in having three prefixes that
can't reach emergency phone lines. The phone company [Pacific Bell]
was stymied in correcting the problem because diagnostic tests of the
equipment told technicians that there was no problem. Technicians
eventually located the problem in a call processor computer tape and
replaced the malfunctioning tape." Luckily for those of us that live
here, this is a relatively low crime area and no serious crimes
occurred during the outage. Some banks compensated by letting in only
a few customers at a time because they were concerned that their alarm
systems wouldn't be able to call police.

                       ---------------

Disclaimer:  booloo speaks for booloo and no other.

2. Logitech FF vs Microsoft FF

3. Dublin Number Expansion

4. Updates to DeScribe

5. London Code Split (was: Dublin Number Expansion)

6. Sun 3/80 CPU board and Mono Frame buffer FS

7. Dublin Number Expansion

8. tandy 720fd laptop, disk drive

9. London Numbers (was: Dublin Number Expansion)

10. ISDN - Audio Link into Dublin,Ireland!!!!Look HERE

11. Small OSPF Home Networks <-- help with area definition

12. Inbound Out-of-Home-Area Cellular Calls

13. Phoning Home in an Area Wide Emergency