DHCP Address Renew Failures on Comcast

Post by Bob Moriart » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:34:06

I'm having an occasional problem with Comcast in NJ and am wondering if
anyone else is having the same problem. My IP address expires and the router
is not able to renew the address. This only happens once every few months
but it is maddening. The solution always involves powering down the router
and the modem for a couple of minutes and then reconnecting everything.
Comcast insists that is isn't their problem. I am curently using a Linksys
BEFVP41 router but was using an SMC Barricade a while back and seeing the
same behavior.

Anyone else seeing the same problem?

DHCP Address Renew Failures on Comcast

Post by Bill » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:47:22

Same in NM, also using Barricade.

Quote:> I'm having an occasional problem with Comcast in NJ and am wondering if
> anyone else is having the same problem. My IP address expires and the
router
> is not able to renew the address. This only happens once every few months
> but it is maddening. The solution always involves powering down the router
> and the modem for a couple of minutes and then reconnecting everything.
> Comcast insists that is isn't their problem. I am curently using a Linksys
> BEFVP41 router but was using an SMC Barricade a while back and seeing the
> same behavior.

> Anyone else seeing the same problem?

DHCP Address Renew Failures on Comcast

Post by rcd » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 07:20:25

Same here, with a Linksys 4 port + wireless router. Works fine a vast
majority of the time, but goes bonkers every week or so.

Randy

> I'm having an occasional problem with Comcast in NJ and am wondering
> if anyone else is having the same problem. My IP address expires and
> the router is not able to renew the address. This only happens once
> every few months but it is maddening. The solution always involves
> powering down the router and the modem for a couple of minutes and
> then reconnecting everything. Comcast insists that is isn't their
> problem. I am curently using a Linksys BEFVP41 router but was using
> an SMC Barricade a while back and seeing the same behavior.

> Anyone else seeing the same problem?

DHCP Address Renew Failures on Comcast

Post by rcd » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 09:09:55

Oh, this is in Montgomery Country, MD

Randy

> Same here, with a Linksys 4 port + wireless router. Works fine a vast
> majority of the time, but goes bonkers every week or so.

> Randy

>> I'm having an occasional problem with Comcast in NJ and am wondering
>> if anyone else is having the same problem. My IP address expires and
>> the router is not able to renew the address. This only happens once
>> every few months but it is maddening. The solution always involves
>> powering down the router and the modem for a couple of minutes and
>> then reconnecting everything. Comcast insists that is isn't their
>> problem. I am curently using a Linksys BEFVP41 router but was using
>> an SMC Barricade a while back and seeing the same behavior.

>> Anyone else seeing the same problem?

DHCP Address Renew Failures on Comcast

Post by Bob Moriart » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 21:36:20

Of course, now the question is how to get them to address/correct the
problem

> Same here, with a Linksys 4 port + wireless router. Works fine a vast
> majority of the time, but goes bonkers every week or so.

> Randy

> > I'm having an occasional problem with Comcast in NJ and am wondering
> > if anyone else is having the same problem. My IP address expires and
> > the router is not able to renew the address. This only happens once
> > every few months but it is maddening. The solution always involves
> > powering down the router and the modem for a couple of minutes and
> > then reconnecting everything. Comcast insists that is isn't their
> > problem. I am curently using a Linksys BEFVP41 router but was using
> > an SMC Barricade a while back and seeing the same behavior.

> > Anyone else seeing the same problem?

1. DHCP: Renew of IP-address problem because of periodic inactive line

Hi!

I have a W2K server running on a remote network.
The ISP is offering a "fixed" address by DHCP to the server. The lease time
is 4 hours.

My problem is that this line is often down for a longer period, and after
some time my server gives up renewing the IP-address from the providers
DHCP-server.

Is there any way to make W2K retry getting an IP-address forever?
It would also be nice if there is any way to force the break between retries
to be short (something like 5 - 10 minutes)

--
Best regards, Brian

2. Terminal Services and Mac OSX

3. DHCP unable to release/renew an IP address

4. IBM Thinkpad T22 & installing QNX 2.21

5. Comcast DHCP assigns x.y.z.255 as HOST address

6. Eventlog entries

7. unable to resolve *.comcast.net addresses using comcast dns servers

8. Tables

9. comcast.net and non-comcast e-mail addresses

10. How to force DHCP client router to renew its lease?

11. Renew DHCP?

12. how to manually *IP RENEW* on a DHCP Interface?

13. ipconfig renew problem: DHCP server unreachable, pls help !