connection time

Post by sackra » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 00:26:08

Just a simple question this time.  Is this normal for Comcast these days?
EVERY web site I go to takes a full minute or more for the original
connection to be made.  Calling support gets me the old "disconnect and
reconnect your modem" routine.  I'm not aksing for help at this point, I
just would like to know of these one minute times are "normal."

Thanks so much.

connection time

Post by sackra » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 08:14:54

Thanks so very much for your help but "Been There Done That."  :-)  All I am
asking (at this time) is if the one minute connection times are "normal" for
Comcast these days.  There's no question but what the problem is Comcasts.
For example a ping of the site I use to set my computers' clock showed 16
hops with packet loss at each stop as follows (in percent):
40,30,50,60,50,40,50,40,20,50,60,40,40,30,50,50.

If this sort of service has become the norm for Comcast I'll just move on to
DSL or something.

Thanks again.

> > Just a simple question this time.  Is this normal for Comcast these
days?
> > EVERY web site I go to takes a full minute or more for the original
> > connection to be made.  Calling support gets me the old "disconnect and
> > reconnect your modem" routine.  I'm not aksing for help at this point, I
> > just would like to know of these one minute times are "normal."

> > Thanks so much.

> Sackrat,
> Run Winipcfg or it's equivalent for your OS and get your dns servers IP
> addresses.  Do a traceroute to each of them.  It may be that their dns
servers
> are overloaded in you area, especially if a site loads quickly once
initial
> contact is made.  If files download fast after contact, I strongly suspect
the
> dns servers.  Either they are overloaded, or there are other connect
problems
> with those.  If you are running a slow machine, and are using a local
proxy
> server on your machine with a large blocking list, this can cause delays,
but
> not as noticeable as the dns problems.

> If you see problems when trace routing to your dns servers, contact
> Comcast.  It's their problem.

> --

>                                           John Gray

> If you don't have a reason, at least have an excuse.

> Just in case there's any doubt, my email address is useless.  Please reply
> this newsgroup.

connection time

Post by Jimb » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:23:01

If you are getting that much packet loss from the very first hop, you need
to get Comcast to come out for a trouble call.

Jimbo