What's different about the ATTBI news server (getting frequent Outlook Express errors)?

What's different about the ATTBI news server (getting frequent Outlook Express errors)?

Post by Milhouse Van Houte » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 03:54:29

This error to be specific: "The TCP/IP Connection Was Unexpectedly Terminated by the
Server."

That will occur anytime I leave the ATTBI news server for more than a few minutes. If I
come back to it, I'll get that error when clicking on the first message or group. Only
clicking on another message or group will bring things back to normal until the next time
I decide to leave the server and do something else. Closing/restarting OE fixes it too
(OE6 in WinXP).

The funny thing is that this happens with ONLY ATTBI's server. I use several others, and

I've tried upping the server's timeout to 5 minutes to no effect. There's just something
"unique" about ATTBI.

Thanks

What's different about the ATTBI news server (getting frequent Outlook Express errors)?

Post by Spudsto » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 11:33:51

Same thing here.

> This error to be specific: "The TCP/IP Connection Was Unexpectedly
Terminated by the
> Server."

> That will occur anytime I leave the ATTBI news server for more than a few
minutes. If I
> come back to it, I'll get that error when clicking on the first message or
group. Only
> clicking on another message or group will bring things back to normal
until the next time
> I decide to leave the server and do something else. Closing/restarting OE
fixes it too
> (OE6 in WinXP).

> The funny thing is that this happens with ONLY ATTBI's server. I use
several others, and

> I've tried upping the server's timeout to 5 minutes to no effect. There's
just something
> "unique" about ATTBI.

> Thanks

What's different about the ATTBI news server (getting frequent Outlook Express errors)?

Post by Jerry » Thu, 07 Feb 2002 14:32:57

There are a lot of things messed up with ATT news servers.  My theory is
that the system disconnects you (frops the socket) after a minute or two of
not  selecting a message.  I believe this is the cause of other problems if
you download files attached to a message.  You start download the files
which takes a few minutes and the server sees this as inactivity since you
are not accessing a new message.  This causes the server to close the
socket, which causes your transfer to die.

jerry

> This error to be specific: "The TCP/IP Connection Was Unexpectedly
Terminated by the
> Server."

> That will occur anytime I leave the ATTBI news server for more than a few
minutes. If I
> come back to it, I'll get that error when clicking on the first message or
group. Only
> clicking on another message or group will bring things back to normal
until the next time
> I decide to leave the server and do something else. Closing/restarting OE
fixes it too
> (OE6 in WinXP).

> The funny thing is that this happens with ONLY ATTBI's server. I use
several others, and

> I've tried upping the server's timeout to 5 minutes to no effect. There's
just something
> "unique" about ATTBI.

> Thanks

1. If you receive "Error Message 421" using Outlook or Outlook Express...

      Service Alert

      If you receive "Error Message 421" using Outlook or Outlook Express
(or "Unable to send Message" errors with other email clients) using a
Linksys BEFSR41, BEFSR81 or BEFW11S4 Router, follow the steps below to
resolve the problem.

http://www.linksys.com/support/support.asp?spid=87

This cured my problem of not being able to reply to newsgroup postings on a
consistent basis!

Bill Crocker

2. Palm V

3. Getting different IP's from same DNS server on different machines

4. ANN: TET3.3d

5. Attbi Email with outlook and different ISP

6. USR Courier - Initstring

7. 3COM/Outlook express dropping news connection

8. vbscriptand html

9. Outlook Express - News Groups

10. I do not want Outlook Express to automatically import contacts into Outlook 2000.

11. I need help with Outlook 2000 and Outlook Express Synchronization

12. How set up Outlook and Outlook Express to receive email over cable modem?

13. Outlook/Outlook Express & Hotmail