Win 98 and slow cable..solution

Post by TimG » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

If you are using a dial up connection to connect to cable company and are
getting slow downloads with Win 98...here's what helped me:

Here's what to do--

Control Panel-network-dial up adapter-properties-advanced-ip packet size ***
CHANGE TO LARGE***and reboot.

I am now getting 35 kbs.   This makes some sense as in the automatic setting
it reads the 28 or 56 k modem and not the Ethernet card.  By changing packet
size to large your getting the whole magilla.

Win 98 and slow cable..solution

Post by Anarchy » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Another soultion I have used with dramatic results is to
take winsock.dll from Windows 95 and swap this with
Win98's version. It seems as if though the newer winsock
has some bugs which *the connection a bit.

>If you are using a dial up connection to connect to cable company and are
>getting slow downloads with Win 98...here's what helped me:

>Here's what to do--

>Control Panel-network-dial up adapter-properties-advanced-ip packet size
***
>CHANGE TO LARGE***and reboot.

>I am now getting 35 kbs.   This makes some sense as in the automatic
setting
>it reads the 28 or 56 k modem and not the Ethernet card.  By changing
packet
>size to large your getting the whole magilla.

Win 98 and slow cable..solution

Post by Jonathan Cos » Wed, 01 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I followed this advice, and also went to Shaw cable's page and downloaded
their patch. I dont know what that stuff did, but I tested my speed before
and after. Before when I did a download from download.com and microsoft.com,
my speed topped off at 50k. Now, get this... I was getting 132K from
microsoft, and 112K from download.com ==
at the same time...! Thats the fastest my little GI surfboard has traveled..

Quote: