Mediaone in L.A

Post by Al Bard » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone here subscribe to the Media one cable modem service in Los
Angeles? If so, how's the speed and service from this company?  Any
problems?  Please let me know, as I'm on the verge of subcribing. I
presently use a 56k modem, averging speeds of 45-48.

--
Al Bardo

Mediaone in L.A

Post by Ron Bisch » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

~Does anyone here subscribe to the Media one cable modem service in Los
~Angeles? If so, how's the speed and service from this company?  Any
~problems?  Please let me know, as I'm on the verge of subcribing. I
~presently use a 56k modem, averging speeds of 45-48.
~
~--
~Al Bardo

I do and the speed and service have been consistently top notch. They're
the best ISP I've had.
Ron Bischof, Bischof Consulting Services

http://people.we.mediaone.net/bconsvcs/ PGP Keys: http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
voice/fax: 310/649-6598 | voicemail: 310/486-0240 | pager: 213/501-0943
In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an
invincible summer. - Camus

Mediaone in L.A

Post by Ted » Sat, 11 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I've been on Media One's cable here in Marina del Rey for a couple of
months now. I heartily second the other favorable comments you've already
received about them. I've not measured the load speeds but I can tell you
it's incredibly fast.....both up and down. I had a 2 occasions to call
them with some service questions and I got thru very quickly. They also
tell me that by the end of the summer they'll provide free space for web
pages.

Good luck....you'll love it.

Ted

> Does anyone here subscribe to the Media one cable modem service in Los
> Angeles? If so, how's the speed and service from this company?  Any
> problems?  Please let me know, as I'm on the verge of subcribing. I
> presently use a 56k modem, averging speeds of 45-48.

> --
> Al Bardo

Mediaone in L.A

Post by Darryl Sperb » Sun, 12 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>  I've been on Media One's cable here in Marina del Rey for a couple of
>  months now. I heartily second the other favorable comments you've already
>  received about them. I've not measured the load speeds but I can tell you
>  it's incredibly fast.....both up and down. I had a 2 occasions to call
>  them with some service questions and I got thru very quickly. They also
>  tell me that by the end of the summer they'll provide free space for web
>  pages.

>  Good luck....you'll love it.

>  Ted

I live in Marina Del Rey too, and I also use Media One.  And
coincidentally... I also used to be on BeachNet, as you seem to be.

Out of curiosity... why are you still on BeachNet???  Surely you don't need a
dial-up backup?

I live in Dallas also, and I use my Dallas ISP as my primary email address
(reading it from LA when I'm there).  But why would you need two LA ISPs?

And in passing, I used BeachNet for about a year, before I finally got tired
of various problems that never got resolved (like routing to my ISP in Dallas
through CRL, which was a REAL BOTTLENECK), connect speeds never exceeding
31.2 with my 33.6 modem, etc.  And I wasn't in love with their prices.

I ultimately changed to LABridge... which was a real dream.  100% 33.6
connects, and almost never a technical problem.  Just my two cents.

Anyway, I confirm your excellent luck with Media One.  Fantastically fast
downloads and uploads, so far ZERO outages, and the few phone calls to tech
support I've made have been answered almost immediately by very knowledgeable
technicians.

In contrast, the jerks have sold me their new "Local Cable Telephone" service
three times... only to call back and cancel it because they can't yet serve
buildings over 25 units (despite the fact that they claim there's "nothing to
do" inside the building!).  I'd really like to have that replacement for GTE
if I could... but it looks like it's a year out.

Now if only the telemarketing people would be told that they shouldn't sell
to people in buildings over 25 units, well it would have saved me lots of
heartache and disappointment.

--
//

//

Mediaone in L.A

Post by Eric Chevali » Sun, 12 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>Out of curiosity... why are you still on BeachNet???  Surely you don't need a
>dial-up backup?

>I live in Dallas also, and I use my Dallas ISP as my primary email address
>(reading it from LA when I'm there).  But why would you need two LA ISPs?

If I may jump in here....

I've also been a Media One Express customer for a couple of months
now.  In general, I'm VERY satisfied with the service.  But no one's
perfect; a few weeks ago I had some signal problems that caused loss
of block sync on my modem, but only during daylight hours!  It took an
on-site service call to correct that problem, and I had to arrange the
call for a Saturday since it was difficult to get off work at the
time.  So for the week I was having dificulty, I was awfully damn glad
I had my alternate ISDN dial-up ISP account!

The other reason why I keep that dial-up account (which was my primary
ISP before signing up with Media One) is that I like to catch up on my
E-mail while I'm at work.  Since Media One doesn't support dial-up
access, and I don't have a cable modem at work :), a dial-up ISP is
the only real alternative.

Quote:>Anyway, I confirm your excellent luck with Media One.  Fantastically fast
>downloads and uploads, so far ZERO outages, and the few phone calls to tech
>support I've made have been answered almost immediately by very knowledgeable
>technicians.

Ditto.  Here's one example of the download speed: the day my M1X
service was installed, I downloaded a 22MB+ collection of files (the
current fix pack for OS/2) from an IBM site.  A colleague at work had
previously downloaded that same set of files on a 33.6 dial-up
connection to his ISP; took something like 2 hours.  I downloaded the
same set of files in about 4 minutes!

                   http://users.deltanet.com/~etech/

Mediaone in L.A

Post by Darryl Sperb » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>  If I may jump in here....

>  I've also been a Media One Express customer for a couple of months
>  now.  In general, I'm VERY satisfied with the service.  But no one's
>  perfect; a few weeks ago I had some signal problems that caused loss
>  of block sync on my modem, but only during daylight hours!  It took an
>  on-site service call to correct that problem, and I had to arrange the
>  call for a Saturday since it was difficult to get off work at the
>  time.  So for the week I was having dificulty, I was awfully damn glad
>  I had my alternate ISDN dial-up ISP account!

>  The other reason why I keep that dial-up account (which was my primary
>  ISP before signing up with Media One) is that I like to catch up on my
>  E-mail while I'm at work.  Since Media One doesn't support dial-up
>  access, and I don't have a cable modem at work :), a dial-up ISP is
>  the only real alternative.

OK... I yield.

As it turns out, I too have a backup dial-up account.  But it's with IBM.NET,
and it's because I do a lot of traveling and IBM Global Services has local
access numbers in 88 countries.

So for $4.95/month (for 3 hours) I have (a) a backup, in case I truly have a
problem with Media One or my Dallas ISP, (b) a dial-up ISP if I happen to be
in Sydney Australia and my customer doesn't allow me to connect through their
firewall to my Dallas ISP to pick up mail, or (c) a local access number
through my laptop in case I'm in some hotel or customer location anywhere in
these United States.

But an ISDN backup account?  Sounds like lots of bucks!

--
//

//

Mediaone in L.A

Post by Eric Chevali » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>But an ISDN backup account?  Sounds like lots of bucks!

You're right, ISDN is a little on the pricey side as backup for M1X :)
Late last year the company I work for installed ISDN dial-in support
for remote access to our LAN and mainframe environments.  That was
actually a primary factor in my decision to sign up for ISDN at home.
ISDN for Internet access was somewhat icing on the cake.

                   http://users.deltanet.com/~etech/

1. MediaOne Express Becomes Mediaone RoadRunner??

Well I just received this E-mail From Media One Express. I wonder what
thsi will really mean for us Mediaone Expess Subscribers????

Dear MediaOne Customer:

In the coming weeks, you'll see some exciting changes to MediaOne's
high speed Internet service.  We've got a new name, new look and big
plans to take your MediaOne Express service to the next level.

We're calling our product upgrade MediaOne Road Runner; and it's a
significant and exciting milestone for our customers, employees and
stockholders.  We are now part of the largest national broadband
content network in the U.S; which means we can provide you with the
best Internet service available in the market today.

What does this mean to you?  The upgrade to MediaOne Road Runner
builds on the best of MediaOne Express.  You keep the same e-mail and
personal Web page addresses, but you get many new product features and
benefits; all at the same MediaOne Express price you're paying today.
Some of those incredible new benefits include:

New, easy to navigate layout -- MediaOne Road Runner is set up just
like a television, with convenient channels to guide you while you
surf.
  Exciting multimedia rich broadband content - this means more audio
and video clips, richer graphics, and lots of cool Web content that
takes advantage of MediaOne Road Runner's blazing speed.
  Customized Internet Explorer 5.0 Web browser that offers a more
stable software platform than anything you've used before.  This
just-released, secure and robust browser is enhanced and customized
just for MediaOne Road Runner customers.

 The best part about this new adventure; you don't lose any of the
features you've grown to love with MediaOne Express.  We are upgrading
your service at no extra cost, but are keeping the following features:
  Your existing e-mail address will remain the same
  URLs for personal Web pages won't change
  Monthly service fees will not change
  24x7 customer service, plus a detailed online help desk
  Remote access capabilities
  Speeds of up to 50 times faster than a dial-up modem

Where did we get the ideas for this new service?  From input by
customers like you.  We always welcome your comments on future
improvements -- your opinions are very important to us. So, please
contact us with your thoughts and ideas.

To learn more about MediaOne Road Runner, visit our Web site at
www.mediaone.net/atlanta/ .   Very soon you'll receive a Welcome
Package which will provide a user booklet, reference materials, and
previews of the exciting world MediaOne Road Runner will bring into
your home.

Thank you for allowing us to serve as your high-speed, innovative way
to the Internet!

Your MediaOne Express Service Team

2. offline folders

3. Cisco 801 routet nicht ins Internet

4. Spectre&epson

5. Access Registrar - writing 'C' plug-ins ?

6. SuperNova

7. Thoughts on INS

8. I NEED A PROGRAMER

9. INS Cisco Router Config Standard v0.9 (Plain text)

10. 2511 and double dial-ins

11. INS Cisco router configuration standard (DRAFT)

12. Setting Number of Rings for Dial Ins

13. INS Cisco router configuration standard doc ver 0.6