cannot get 2nd PC connecting to @Home via LinkSys switch

Post by Rick Cas » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 12:05:28

Hope someone can help me solve what should be a simple
problem...haven't seen anybody with this same problem in this
newsgroup, hope I'm just missing something simple.

about home networking, bought a LinkSys 5 port 10/100 switch. Plugged

hooked up originally) into the switch, plugged the cable modem into
the uplink port, it works as before, no problem.

With the 2nd PC plugged into the switch, I can the lights lighting up
indicating it's at least aware of the 2nd PC. I go to configure the
2nd PC with same settings as my first PC, except changing the computer

differs from the first one by just one letter; for which I get to pay
$5/mth more.)

Cannot get any connection working on the 2nd PC. Any ideas how to
troubleshoot? Are there any control panels settings beyond
Network->TCP/IP properties that need to be set? Is there anything that
needs to be done with the switch?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

--Rick

cannot get 2nd PC connecting to @Home via LinkSys switch

Post by Vaugh » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:18:17

It's possible that ATT didn't finish the install at their end.  Use the
numbers for the second IP on the machine that currently working, if it
doesn't work call ATT and make sure that they put the data in their database
and taht you exist.

> Hope someone can help me solve what should be a simple
> problem...haven't seen anybody with this same problem in this
> newsgroup, hope I'm just missing something simple.

> about home networking, bought a LinkSys 5 port 10/100 switch. Plugged

> hooked up originally) into the switch, plugged the cable modem into
> the uplink port, it works as before, no problem.

> With the 2nd PC plugged into the switch, I can the lights lighting up
> indicating it's at least aware of the 2nd PC. I go to configure the
> 2nd PC with same settings as my first PC, except changing the computer

> differs from the first one by just one letter; for which I get to pay
> $5/mth more.)

> Cannot get any connection working on the 2nd PC. Any ideas how to
> troubleshoot? Are there any control panels settings beyond
> Network->TCP/IP properties that need to be set? Is there anything that
> needs to be done with the switch?

> Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

> --Rick

1. Cannot get 3 PCs to all see each other via TCP/IP on home network

Here is my setup:
All are using 3COM 3C905B-TX NICs, WIN98 SE, Client for MS Networks, TCP/IP
and File/Printer Sharing
PC #1 can see PC #2 and PC #3
PC #2 can see PC #1, but cannot see PC #3
PC #3 cannot browse the network at all. PC #3 can be replies to ping
attempts from PC #1 and PC #2
All have unique computer names and all have the same workgroup name.
All have fixed IP Addresses (192.100.204.10 , 192.100.204.11, 192.100.204.12
respectively)
All have the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0)
All have at least one shared folder
DNS is disabled on all
WINS is not enabled
No Gateway is specified
Client for MS Networking on all set for Quick Login
Access Control is set for Share Level Access Control
File/Printer Sharing is enabled on all and bound to TCP/IP on all
TCP/IP bound to Client for MS Networks
Primary Network Logon - Windows Logon
TCP/IP Browse Master - Automatic, LM Announce - No
All are connected to a Linksys 5-port 10 MBs hub via Belkin CAT-5 patch
cables (straight through, not a crossover)
All PCs are within 20 feet of each other

Here is the problem. PC #3 also has a second NIC for a cable modem
connection. The TCP/IP bindings for this adapter are bound to Client for MS
Networks, but not to File/Printer Sharing (for security reasons). This NIC
uses DHCP for it's IP Address. It does not have DNS enabled. It has a
default Gateway assigned from my ISP's  DHCP server. It has a Subnet Mask of
255.255.255.255 -

The NIC for my LAN on PC #3 seems to be using the the DNS Servers from the
Cable ISP and my Computers Name has the ISP's domain added to it's Hostname.
I am sure this is normal for the second NIC (Cable modem), but might this be
confusing the other NIC (LAN) in PC #3?

PC #3 is really the problem child here as it can be connected to from PC #1
and PC #2, but cannot browse the network or map any of the shares on the
other PCs.

Anything obvious I might be overlooking here? I definately need to get PC #3
working with the other two for sharing my cable internet connection with the
others.

Direct emails are welcome, this is starting to drive me crazy. Sorry the the
length of this, but I wanted to include all relevent information.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

2. BCC, TLINK and floating point support

3. Trying to connect via PC AnyWhere 7.5 via Angia IBAHN PCMCIA ISDN card to Bitsurfr Pro.

4. PS/2 Assistant

5. extreme summit 400 switch: connecting 2 switches via utp

6. FP97 & omnihttpd

7. Linksys Switch/Router Connected to Switch & Hub

8. Looking for a frame grabber

9. @home finicky with my 2nd PC

10. Setting up a 2nd PC on Home LAN with MediaOne

11. connecting my home PC to my office PC (win98)

12. Cannot Manage Switch Cluster via HTML

13. VPN Concentrator 3005 - Cannot connect via Window XP built in VPN