Am I The Only One - Linksys Besfr81 Working Perfectly?

Am I The Only One - Linksys Besfr81 Working Perfectly?

Post by Jim Kno » Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:37:17



Surely don't want to toot my horn for I have had my share of
computer and network problems from day to day. However, I did
pick up an 8-port Linksys Besfr81 router, connected it to the
Toshiba RoadRunner cable modem and then tied the router to my
house distribution network panel. I followed the install
instructions for the router exactly and everything went very
smoothly <for once>. And, now I can plug a laptop or desktop
into any of the 8 ports throughout the house, boot up the
pc and access a very fast connection to the Internat via
the RoadRunner service. I live in Mpls, MN, USA and maybe
something for once in the computing arena has gone right
for me. Strange but I am thankful.

BTW, I never had to worry about MAC addresses, cross-over
cables, etc. In fact it did seem too simple. I know the RR
in our area uses DHCP to assign the IP to the modem, the
router takes that IP and then uses DHCP itself to assign
on the fly IP addresses to PCs on my SOHO LAN.

So, like, why did this go so smoothly for me? I surely do
not want to come anywhere close to boasting cause I know
the kind of trouble one can have. Guess maybe I am an
exception to the rule and this time things worked right
for me.

Hope all goes well for others trying to do the cable modem
and SOHO router install.

Cheers...

 
 
 

Am I The Only One - Linksys Besfr81 Working Perfectly?

Post by Bob M » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 07:32:30


No, you aren't the only one. My BEFSR11 went in as easily. Got the modem to
talk to the cable company and my laptop, then inserted the router, connected
that to my laptop, set two or three fields, entered a couple of DNS IP
addresses in my laptop, and rebooted everything. Like you say, follow the
directions, or to put it more bluntly, RTFM and most things will work
properly.

Bob M.
======

Quote:> Surely don't want to toot my horn for I have had my share of
> computer and network problems from day to day. However, I did
> pick up an 8-port Linksys Besfr81 router, connected it to the
> Toshiba RoadRunner cable modem and then tied the router to my
> house distribution network panel. I followed the install
> instructions for the router exactly and everything went very
> smoothly <for once>. And, now I can plug a laptop or desktop
> into any of the 8 ports throughout the house, boot up the
> pc and access a very fast connection to the Internat via
> the RoadRunner service. I live in Mpls, MN, USA and maybe
> something for once in the computing arena has gone right
> for me. Strange but I am thankful.

> BTW, I never had to worry about MAC addresses, cross-over
> cables, etc. In fact it did seem too simple. I know the RR
> in our area uses DHCP to assign the IP to the modem, the
> router takes that IP and then uses DHCP itself to assign
> on the fly IP addresses to PCs on my SOHO LAN.

> So, like, why did this go so smoothly for me? I surely do
> not want to come anywhere close to boasting cause I know
> the kind of trouble one can have. Guess maybe I am an
> exception to the rule and this time things worked right
> for me.

> Hope all goes well for others trying to do the cable modem
> and SOHO router install.

> Cheers...


 
 
 

Am I The Only One - Linksys Besfr81 Working Perfectly?

Post by Jim Orfanako » Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:35:04


I have a Linksys BEFSR11 for almost 1.5 years now and I have had zero
problems.

Four other guys at work either already Linksys routers, or purchased them on
my recommendation.  None of the four guys have had any problems at all with
their Linksys routers.

--
  Jim Orfanakos

  To reply by e-mail, remove  "-nospam-" from the e-mail address


Quote:> Surely don't want to toot my horn for I have had my share of
> computer and network problems from day to day. However, I did
> pick up an 8-port Linksys Besfr81 router, connected it to the
> Toshiba RoadRunner cable modem and then tied the router to my
> house distribution network panel. I followed the install
> instructions for the router exactly and everything went very
> smoothly <for once>. And, now I can plug a laptop or desktop
> into any of the 8 ports throughout the house, boot up the
> pc and access a very fast connection to the Internat via
> the RoadRunner service. I live in Mpls, MN, USA and maybe
> something for once in the computing arena has gone right
> for me. Strange but I am thankful.

> BTW, I never had to worry about MAC addresses, cross-over
> cables, etc. In fact it did seem too simple. I know the RR
> in our area uses DHCP to assign the IP to the modem, the
> router takes that IP and then uses DHCP itself to assign
> on the fly IP addresses to PCs on my SOHO LAN.

> So, like, why did this go so smoothly for me? I surely do
> not want to come anywhere close to boasting cause I know
> the kind of trouble one can have. Guess maybe I am an
> exception to the rule and this time things worked right
> for me.

> Hope all goes well for others trying to do the cable modem
> and SOHO router install.

> Cheers...

 
 
 

Am I The Only One - Linksys Besfr81 Working Perfectly?

Post by Larry » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 02:45:29



keyboard and said:

Quote:> I have a Linksys BEFSR11 for almost 1.5 years now and I have had zero
> problems.

> Four other guys at work either already Linksys routers, or purchased
> them on my recommendation.  None of the four guys have had any problems
> at all with their Linksys routers.

I used my Linksys BEFSR41 on an ADSL connection with dynamic IP in the SF
Bay Area for a year with no real problems.

We moved to the Phoenix area and now have it connected to cox cable with a
static IP.  Still no problems.

The original poster is not the only person for whom the Linksys is a great
product.