NYC Code - Plenum in walls

Post by Alan » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 04:47:45

If I'm only running cabling in the walls, is it ok by *code* to use
PVC cable out here in NYC. I'm doing my brother's place and I want
to be as *complaint* as possible.

NYC Code - Plenum in walls

Post by Macy Hallo » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 20:12:44

+---------------

Quote:> If I'm only running cabling in the walls, is it ok by *code* to use
> PVC cable out here in NYC. I'm doing my brother's place and I want
> to be as *complaint* as possible.

Yes. In single family unit residential applications, CMX grade cable is
acceptable, as long as the cable does not pass through any plenums,
cold air returns or heating ducts.
--
 Macy M. Hallock, Jr. - APK Net - Tel:216.241.7166 - Fax:216.241.7522

NYC Code - Plenum in walls

Post by Alan » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 21:28:18

Actually it's commercial space. He is opening up his new office.
It's about 18 drops. All will be in the walls. I do plan to run a
plenum line in the soffit where his air duct is going to hide inside.
However, I'm most likely going to put a EMT pipe in there and then
put the cable to run from one end of the soffit to the other.

Other than that, all runs will be run inside the walls only.

>+---------------
>> If I'm only running cabling in the walls, is it ok by *code* to use
>> PVC cable out here in NYC. I'm doing my brother's place and I want
>> to be as *complaint* as possible.

>Yes. In single family unit residential applications, CMX grade cable is
>acceptable, as long as the cable does not pass through any plenums,
>cold air returns or heating ducts.

NYC Code - Plenum in walls

Post by Carl Navarr » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 00:19:52

Quote:

>Actually it's commercial space. He is opening up his new office.
>It's about 18 drops. All will be in the walls. I do plan to run a
>plenum line in the soffit where his air duct is going to hide inside.
>However, I'm most likely going to put a EMT pipe in there and then
>put the cable to run from one end of the soffit to the other.

>Other than that, all runs will be run inside the walls only.

Rather than accept an answer in this newsgroup, why don't you contact
the city electrical building inspector and ask?  Manhattan has/had
some funny rules, as do some major cities, regarding low-voltage
wiring.

It wouldn't be a pretty sight to have you use PVC and find that the
city requires plenum :-)

Carl Navarro

>>+---------------
>>> If I'm only running cabling in the walls, is it ok by *code* to use
>>> PVC cable out here in NYC. I'm doing my brother's place and I want
>>> to be as *complaint* as possible.

>>Yes. In single family unit residential applications, CMX grade cable is
>>acceptable, as long as the cable does not pass through any plenums,
>>cold air returns or heating ducts.

NYC Code - Plenum in walls

Post by Macy Hallo » Sun, 03 Aug 2003 00:55:09

+---------------

Quote:

> Actually it's commercial space. He is opening up his new office.
> It's about 18 drops. All will be in the walls. I do plan to run a
> plenum line in the soffit where his air duct is going to hide inside.
> However, I'm most likely going to put a EMT pipe in there and then
> put the cable to run from one end of the soffit to the other.

> Other than that, all runs will be run inside the walls only.

National Electrical Code says you can use CMX grade cable in most
non-plenum areas.  However, one can't say for certain without knowing
the local electical code requirements.

The practice adopted by many telco's and professional cable installers
is to use plenum rated cable for all commerical work. Now that the
difference of the cost of the two types of cable from most vendors is
not that great, it seems to be a common solution to ensure compliance.

In many areas there is a local rule that says any cable installed above
asuspended ceiling must be plenum rated.  There are also a number of
jurisdictions that require all commercial low voltage wiring to be
plenum rated.
--
Macy Hallock - Tel+1.216.978.9344 Fax+1.509.275.7998 - Medina, Ohio USA

1. NYC Area Code Split (Was Area Code on Jeopardy)

 From what I understand, AC 212 will be Manhattan only, Bronx going to
718 and 917 will be for cellular and pager service.  This was noted in
the newspapers a few months ago, and the Telco could change this.

It appears that 917 will overlay the whole city but I don't want to be
held to that.  I don't have my phone book handy but I seem to remember
seeing something about the split mentioned (if my little grey cells
are working correctly, I'm still not fully awake).

Brookhaven National Laboratory Upton, NY 11973  (516)-282-3093

2. Rollout date for Lewisville, TX changes yet again

3. To Plenum or not to Plenum

4. Problem running Pagermaker 4.0 under OS/2 2.1 GA

5. plenum versus non-plenum for patch cables

6. Updating Bond Prices

7. NT Implementation - Wall St - NYC

8. Shell Scroll

9. What do I do if I dont match code with non plenum.

10. Wall plate to wall plate connection.

11. wall boxes in cinder block walls

12. NYS PSC Recommends "Overlay" For New NYC Area Code

13. Area Code 917 in NYC for Beepers