Cheap short outdoor fiber run for school

Cheap short outdoor fiber run for school

Post by Tod » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 02:33:52

I'm the new tech guy for a small Christian school in Houston, and we
are going to connect a few buildings with fiber (MM plenum duplex
zipcord) this week.

Two runs (600' and around 1200' out to the fieldhouse) will be
primarily underground. The others are indoors or along/inside
breezeways.

I know indoor/outdoor breakout cable would be best, but I don't know
that I can afford that. ( .69/mtr vs 2.50+/mtr)

So I'm thinking to just get the regular fiber and run it inside a
garden hose, PVC pipe, etc. on the buried runs and not worry about the
breezeways.

If I do it on the cheap this way, what problems am I setting myself up
for down the road?

Also, what are the tricks to pulling the fiber through things like
hoses and pipe?

Thanks,

Todd

Cheap short outdoor fiber run for school

Post by Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 09:30:45

Quote:> I'm the new tech guy for a small Christian school in Houston, and we
> are going to connect a few buildings with fiber (MM plenum duplex
> zipcord) this week.

> Two runs (600' and around 1200' out to the fieldhouse) will be
> primarily underground. The others are indoors or along/inside
> breezeways.

> I know indoor/outdoor breakout cable would be best, but I don't know
> that I can afford that. ( .69/mtr vs 2.50+/mtr)

> So I'm thinking to just get the regular fiber and run it inside a
> garden hose, PVC pipe, etc. on the buried runs and not worry about the
> breezeways.

> If I do it on the cheap this way, what problems am I setting myself up
> for down the road?

For some reason rats and other vermin love to chew on plastic, so you
should run everything inside of an ABS plastic conduit.  We had a
cover slightly ajar on a pullbox, and a rat got in and chewed the
fiber to make nesting material, BINGO!  No signal!  Believe me, it
happens.  Probably worse back there with ground squirrels, etc.

Quote:> Also, what are the tricks to pulling the fiber through things like
> hoses and pipe?

> Thanks,

> Todd

###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Subject: line with other stuff.  alondra101 <at> hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't

Post by Macy Hallo » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:19:34

+---------------

> > I'm the new tech guy for a small Christian school in Houston, and we
> > are going to connect a few buildings with fiber (MM plenum duplex
> > zipcord) this week.

I'd get the advice of a capable experienced electrician. Surely
you have the paid or volunteer services of such an individual
available to help you do this right.

Technically, you must comply with NEC (National Electrical Code)
for applicable wiring/cable types when installing this cable.
(And as a school, you'd want to be very careful about complying
with applicable fire and electrical safety regulations.)

Your facility may have plenum ceiling areas, all cables installed in
those areas must be of a type rated for plenum use. Many duplex zip
fiber cables are not, but some are.

Cables run in areas where they can be accessed by humans (typically
less than 8' off the floor) must be in suitable condiut. ABS or similar
non-metallic conduit, properly supported, may be a good choice. Check.

The critcal factor will be the quality of your fiber connector
terminations.  Good fiber optic connectors carefully installed,
inspected and tested, using the right tools will make your project
a success.

Comment: Fiber cable is not that expensive. Future labor is expensive.
I'd suggest installation of a 6 core fiber cable vs. 2 core fiber zip.
That would provide spare fiber for future use and the cable itself is
better constructed. I'd terminate and test all fibers.

Suggestion: Fiber cable, fiber termination patch panels and boxes show
up on ebay several times a month. It pays to know what you want and
how much it costs. Use a catalog like Mile-Tek as a reference.

Good luck with your project.
--
 Macy M. Hallock, Jr. - APK Net - Tel:216.241.7166 - Fax:216.241.7522

1. Protecting short outdoor run of cat5e between conduit and demarc box

I have about 2 feet of 2 (one for voice, one for dsl) cat5e cables
that are exposed outdoors between the end of a hard plastic conduit
that runs down the side of the house and an ancient demarc box and a
dsl splitter mounted nearby.  There's no way to rearrange things to
make this better, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to protect
this short run from the weather.

Thanks

2. AS400--CABS--CAREER POSITION

3. Short Outdoor Ethernet Run: CAT5, Coax?

4. plot problem in Microstation 95 v 5.5.3.54

5. indoor/outdoor fiber cable

6. SMS2.0 Software Distribution Problem

7. Connections over an outdoor 600m run.

8. UML and Class refinement

9. 1km+ run of MM fiber - what's the fastest I can run?

10. Fiber-Optic Network To Be Installed In High School

11. Hayes Modems -- cheap, cheap, cheap

12. Fast, Cheap Async Short-Haul Modems?