better copper?

Post by hfs » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 06:06:04

Sometime ago I posted here and in sci materials (?) about the
description used by network people about 'better copper' being
used in cat5e.

Per Belden, there is no 'better copper' in this cable.  It's plain
old 'BC' bare copper.  It's not ox free, or alloy, or ....

The claim to 'better copper' is probably shorthand for
better performance as in twists, insulation and gauge and ...(?)

Thanks.

better copper?

Post by Andre » Mon, 14 Jul 2003 05:30:10

> Sometime ago I posted here and in sci materials (?) about the
> description used by network people about 'better copper' being
> used in cat5e.
> Per Belden, there is no 'better copper' in this cable.  It's plain
> old 'BC' bare copper.  It's not ox free, or alloy, or ....
> The claim to 'better copper' is probably shorthand for
> better performance as in twists, insulation and gauge and ...(?)

"Copper" is slang for wire.

Andrew

better copper?

Post by hfs » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 00:09:41

Not in this shop.  The it guys really think it's "better copper".

> > Sometime ago I posted here and in sci materials (?) about the
> > description used by network people about 'better copper' being
> > used in cat5e.

> > Per Belden, there is no 'better copper' in this cable.  It's plain
> > old 'BC' bare copper.  It's not ox free, or alloy, or ....

> > The claim to 'better copper' is probably shorthand for
> > better performance as in twists, insulation and gauge and ...(?)

> "Copper" is slang for wire.

> Andrew

better copper?

Post by Robert Redelmeie » Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:06:28

> Not in this shop.  The it guys really think it's "better copper".

They've been listening to too much Monster Cable publicity.

AFAIK, all copper used in cabling is 99.9+% electrolytic
copper.  It's cold-deposited onto electrodes, then
melted-extrude-drawn and annealed.  If it were important,
a nitrogen purge on the extrustion feeder would be simple
and would be done to reduce die wear and improve handling.

The copper is no better.  The shaping (star cross-section),
insulation and twisting certainly can make a huge difference.

-- Robert

better copper?

Post by David Leshe » Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:29:48

>> Not in this shop.  The it guys really think it's "better copper".
>They've been listening to too much Monster Cable publicity.

You can peddle anything in the US if you spend enough on advertising.

1. copper, better quality?

I'm reading this networks book and the author is describing
different cable types - cat 3 ... 6, coax and such.  In one
description he mentions that this or that cable has better
copper.  He's not talking gauge, twists or insulation here.
What does he mean?  Isn't all copper wire more or less pure?
Is there a "grade" of copper?  Do conductors use alloys in
network cable?
Thanks.

2. HELP!! FRANTIC!!

3. Copper Mountain Copper edge 150 SNMP help

4. AGA kit for A500/2000

5. When is copper not copper?

6. Upgrading Sparc 20

7. ISDL copper vs SDSL copper from the RBOC

8. nVisions/VBA Help

9. Intermittent sync-gets better and better

10. Latency of copper vs latency of fibre?

11. gig copper blade for 6509 cat switch

12. 1000 over copper

13. Using a Gigabit copper to Gigabit fiber media converter for an IDF