New Router - Can't connect to online games?

New Router - Can't connect to online games?

Post by Peter Gibbo » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 01:01:34

Alright, I'll admit it - Im a networking newbie.

I just purchased a LinkSys Router so I could set up both mine and my
wife's computer to share our cable internet connection.

Everything set up fine and I can browse without any problems, but if I
try to play any online games (BF1942, AOE, etc) or use a program like
Free Agent to download binary files, I don't get anything.

Now this particular router uses NAT, and I know I have to open up
certain ports for certain games to be able to play online.  The
problem is - how do I determine WHICH ports to open up?  I know there
are some websites that have the port numbers posted for particular
games, but I'd really like to know if there is a way I can determine
this myself.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to offer.

New Router - Can't connect to online games?

Post by Dude-cicl » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 04:19:48

You might want to doublecheck with any sort of documentation that came with
your game to see what ports you need to set up forwarding for.

As for binary downloading from newsgroups, you'd need to open up port 119.

Quote:> Alright, I'll admit it - Im a networking newbie.

> I just purchased a LinkSys Router so I could set up both mine and my
> wife's computer to share our cable internet connection.

> Everything set up fine and I can browse without any problems, but if I
> try to play any online games (BF1942, AOE, etc) or use a program like
> Free Agent to download binary files, I don't get anything.

> Now this particular router uses NAT, and I know I have to open up
> certain ports for certain games to be able to play online.  The
> problem is - how do I determine WHICH ports to open up?  I know there
> are some websites that have the port numbers posted for particular
> games, but I'd really like to know if there is a way I can determine
> this myself.

> Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to offer.

New Router - Can't connect to online games?

Post by Larr » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 07:40:19

Quote:>As for binary downloading from newsgroups, you'd need to open up port 119.

Nope....Port 119 is the outgoing port from your news client TO the
server.  The router extracts the proper return port number from the
packet going out DOS tells the server to answer on, just like any
other call out.  You don't have to open any port numbers up to get
downloading binaries working.

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

New Router - Can't connect to online games?

Post by Greg Lam » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:27:16

Larry is right you shouldn't have to poke any holes in your router in
order to talk to a news server...

As far as games, yeah every single one is different... the 'right' way
to do this (aka the most secure) would be to look up every single port
and forward it to your machine like you mentioned.

But, can also cheat...

Take a look under advanced settings in the router configuration and
you'll find DMZ. Basically what this does is set up a default ip to
forward all incomming requests to. Except this will also mean the
computer you choose as the default path will no longer be protected by
the firewall. I'd install a copy of zonealarm or something on that
unprotected box, the rest of the computers on the network should be fine.

The rest of your computers on the network will be fine. And no more
worries on what port does what. (at least for that one computer)

- Greg

Post by Greg Lam » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 01:27:50

Larry is right you shouldn't have to poke any holes in your router in
order to talk to a news server...

As far as games, yeah every single one is different... the 'right' way
to do this (aka the most secure) would be to look up every single port
and forward it to your machine like you mentioned.

But, can also cheat...

Take a look under advanced settings in the router configuration and
you'll find DMZ. Basically what this does is set up a default ip to
forward all incomming requests to. Except this will also mean the
computer you choose as the default path will no longer be protected by
the firewall. I'd install a copy of zonealarm or something on that
unprotected box, the rest of the computers on the network should be fine.

The rest of your computers on the network will be fine. And no more
worries on what port does what. (at least for that one computer)

- Greg

> Alright, I'll admit it - Im a networking newbie.

> I just purchased a LinkSys Router so I could set up both mine and my
> wife's computer to share our cable internet connection.

> Everything set up fine and I can browse without any problems, but if I
> try to play any online games (BF1942, AOE, etc) or use a program like
> Free Agent to download binary files, I don't get anything.

> Now this particular router uses NAT, and I know I have to open up
> certain ports for certain games to be able to play online.  The
> problem is - how do I determine WHICH ports to open up?  I know there
> are some websites that have the port numbers posted for particular
> games, but I'd really like to know if there is a way I can determine
> this myself.

> Thanks in advance for any help you guys might be able to offer.

1. Sony to Launch 'Charlie's Angels' Game Online

LOS ANGELES, May 19 (Reuters) - "Charlie's Angels," the 1970s TV show
that spurred a blockbuster movie and now a sequel is coming back yet
again -- as a video game.

Sony Corp.'s (TOKYO:6758) movie division on Monday said would release
an online video game based on "Charlie's Angels" to coincide with the
new "Angels" movie which it is also releasing.

The double-barreled release comes as Hollywood and the games industry
increasingly look to cross-promote their offerings on the view that
the hype over a game can help boost the fortunes of a new movie, and
vice versa.

Sony Pictures Digital Networks said "Charlie's Angels: Angel X" would
be released in June to tie in with the June 27 theatrical debut of
"Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle."

     - http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/story.asp?story=34253501

2. Hiding Shared Borders in FrontPage 2000

3. FEATURE-Online Game Strategy Splits Video Game Industry

4. hot to obtain metadata on tables

5. New file available Peer 2 peer and online game blocks on pix

6. Please Help! Search Engine Problem!

7. New computer, new SMC router, no connection thru router, connect direct yes.

8. /\/\/\/\/\/\/*** I need a qbasic compiler! ***/\/\/\/\/\/\/

9. ADSL PPPoE - can't host online games

10. NEW ONLINE VERIZON GAME

11. Losing synch only when connecting to online games.

12. ADSL PPPoE - can't host online games

13. Internal TAs or Routers for best ping with online gaming