Cable connection for cable modems

Post by do$ferat » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 01:07:40

Planning on getting  Cablevision Optimum online.
The guy at the Wiz, where you have to buy the modem, says the cable
modem should be connected directly to the incoming cable, it must be on
the first split.
Is this important?
The spot for the modem (as of now) is on a second split.

thanks in advance.

Cable connection for cable modems

Post by John Nava » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 02:35:08

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems.cable; PLEASE REPLY THERE]

Quote:>Planning on getting  Cablevision Optimum online.
>The guy at the Wiz, where you have to buy the modem, says the cable
>modem should be connected directly to the incoming cable, it must be on
>the first split.
>Is this important?

It can be -- depends on the signal strength.

Quote:>The spot for the modem (as of now) is on a second split.

If it's working, I wouldn't worry.

--
Best regards,
John Navas     <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

Post by Brian Schenkenberger, VAXma » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 03:05:56

>[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems.cable; PLEASE REPLY THERE]

>>Planning on getting  Cablevision Optimum online.
>>The guy at the Wiz, where you have to buy the modem, says the cable
>>modem should be connected directly to the incoming cable, it must be on
>>the first split.
>>Is this important?

>It can be -- depends on the signal strength.

>>The spot for the modem (as of now) is on a second split.

>If it's working, I wouldn't worry.

>--
>Best regards,
>John Navas     <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>
>     CABLE MODEM/DSL GUIDE:  <http://Cable-DSL.home.att.net/>

However, if it's a new installation and you call them with a problem, they
will likely tell you to use a single splitter.  I placed a splitter in the
cable line near the external service point and ran a separate cable to the
office *just* for the modem.  Both lines are clearly marked as TV and cable
modem for the tech service folks.  Having only a single and visible split-
ter also makes it easier when you have to dispute cable modem issues with
them.  The splitter was also provided by CV so that couldn't claim that a
second rate splitter was used -- it's theirs.

However, as John said, if it works... I placed a splitter in the line near
the cable modem just to see what another 3.+ dB of attenuation might do to
it and the cable modem continued to function.

--
VAXman- OpenVMS APE certification number: AAA-0001     VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)COM

city, n., 1. a place where trees are cut down and streets are named after them.

Cable connection for cable modems

Post by Northperso » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 05:25:25

Are splitters for a cable modem different than the typical Radio Shack
splitter that works fine for cable TV?

Wayne

Post by John Nava » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 05:37:32

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems.cable; PLEASE REPLY THERE]

>Are splitters for a cable modem different than the typical Radio Shack
>splitter that works fine for cable TV?

Do yourself a favor and get a high-quality wideband splitter, not the
stuff sold at RatShack.

--
Best regards,
John Navas     <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>
     CABLE MODEM/DSL GUIDE:  <http://Cable-DSL.home.att.net/>

Cable connection for cable modems

Post by Jbob » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 10:46:05

about being on a separate line.  My house has a 4-way splitter on the
outside.  I assumed they would install a new line dedicated to the modem.
The installer said it wasn't needed.  He simply tapped into the line that
ran to the TV in the room where by modem is.  He tested the signal strength
and said it was fine.  I watched while he did the checking!

Post by DCWhitt » Sun, 21 Jan 2001 20:12:06

> > Planning on getting  Cablevision Optimum online.
> > The guy at the Wiz, where you have to buy the modem, says the cable
> > modem should be connected directly to the incoming cable, it must be on
> > the first split.
> > Is this important?
> > The spot for the modem (as of now) is on a second split.

> > thanks in advance.

This is what the cable installer told me. It can make a difference,
depending on your area and how many splitters you have on the cable. I
initially had a problem with dropped signals (partially b/c Cablevision was
doing work on the system at the time), because my cable modem was tapped
into the 3rd splitter in the line (in my attic).  I ended up installing a
3-way splitter on the cable as it entered the house (the 1st split), just so
that I could run a dedicated line (from the 3db lead) to the cable modem.
Haven't had a dropped signal since (rock solid for about 3 1/2 months). Get
the splitter from the Wiz.

Des

Post by do$ferat » Tue, 23 Jan 2001 22:16:18

> >Planning on getting  Cablevision Optimum online.
> >The guy at the Wiz, where you have to buy the modem, says the cable
> >modem should be connected directly to the incoming cable, it must be on
> >the first split.
> >Is this important?
> >The spot for the modem (as of now) is on a second split.

> >thanks in advance.

>  As John mentioned, it can depend on the signal strength.  Above all though,
> it depends on whether or not it works.

>  Now, it may work both ways but you can actually get a better connection and
> even better speeds one way or the other.  Most people worry about the signal
> strength being strong enough, but with a cable modem, a signal that is too
> strong can also adversely affect your connection.  I'd check the speeds both
> ways because the signal just might be too strong and although it works, it
> just might be slower than it could be.

Thanks for all the replies.
I got the cm friday, and it was working fine friday night.
It's been up and down sat and sun, don't know if CV was having problems.
I probably will run another cable, just to be sure.

How can you determine the speed, and/or health of the connection?

1. Cable modem and connection 2 another cable modem user

Hello-

    A friend and I are both on seperate cable modems and we are having
connection problems.  We connect absolutely fine to anything else, just
not to each other.  It does not matter how we are trying to connect
either, ex. icq, games, heat.net.  Also, we cannot ping each other.  He

(now att) tech ppl and they told me every answer in the book and many
seemed like it was MY fault... Reasons would lead anything from I not
knowing how to use the software (which I have used for years on my trusty
dialup modem), to one of my favorites, "Well we got you onto the net,
didn't we?"  I can connect with someone else on a cable modem (because
they are on a different wingate, subnet?) not more than a block from my
house, but not to my friend across the city.  If it is because we are on
the same subnet, is there any work arounds?  Maybe some sort of software
proxy program?  Any help would be GREATLY appreciated...  (DSL? lol)

Thanks,

     Enigma

2. save output data of top command?

3. How to connect 2 cable/DSL routers to share 2 internet connections (DSL + Cable modem)?

4. Question on Oracle server

5. Smart Hit counters?

6. 486 2nd HD

7. How can I share cable modem through Direct Cable Connection?

8. Cable connection for TV & Cable modem

9. use cable modem cable for free cable tv?

10. Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet