Power Over Ethernet Wiring ?

Post by Al Dyk » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:16:08

What do prople do at the hub/patch panel to provide POE to a any CAT 5
drop, as needed.

I can imagine a iU high POE power supply in the rack, between the
patch panels for all the floor wiring and the switch, with 16
pairs, in-out, to provice power, sort of like an old  switchboard.

Does this exist ?

--
Al*s
-----------

Power Over Ethernet Wiring ?

Post by James Knot » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 05:41:56

> What do prople do at the hub/patch panel to provide POE to a any CAT 5
> drop, as needed.

> I can imagine a iU high POE power supply in the rack, between the
> patch panels for all the floor wiring and the switch, with 16
> pairs, in-out, to provice power, sort of like an old  switchboard.

> Does this exist ?

A preferred solution would be a POE hub or switch.

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Power Over Ethernet Wiring ?

Post by Macy Hallo » Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:14:28

 > What do prople do at the hub/patch panel to provide POE to a any CAT 5
 > drop, as needed.
 > I can imagine a iU high POE power supply in the rack, between the
 > patch panels for all the floor wiring and the switch, with 16
 > pairs, in-out, to provice power, sort of like an old  switchboard.
 > Does this exist ?

They do. It's know as a "Midspan Insertion Panel".
Search on that term on Google for sources.
I've seen them from Cisco, Compaq, 3Com, Powerdsine and others.

 Macy M. Hallock, Jr. - APK Net - Tel:216.241.7166 - Fax:216.241.7522

Power Over Ethernet Wiring ?

Post by Justin T. Claus » Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:50:19

>  > What do prople do at the hub/patch panel to provide POE to a any CAT 5
>  > drop, as needed.
>  > I can imagine a iU high POE power supply in the rack, between the
>  > patch panels for all the floor wiring and the switch, with 16
>  > pairs, in-out, to provice power, sort of like an old  switchboard.
>  > Does this exist ?

> They do. It's know as a "Midspan Insertion Panel".
> Search on that term on Google for sources.
> I've seen them from Cisco, Compaq, 3Com, Powerdsine and others.

> --

Second that.  There are also little, single port injectors that can go
anywhere that is close to an outlet.  I don't know where they came
from and they have no label on them, so can't help there.  Also watch
out for the Cisco Switches with PoE, its proprietary and only works
with Cisco Access points.  At least the blades for the Catalysts.
Also, what your lengths, we've only been able to get about 125 feet
before the voltage drops to far to actually power the AP.

Power Over Ethernet Wiring ?

Post by Watson A.Name - 'Watt Sun' » Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:23:27

mentioned...

Quote:

> What do prople do at the hub/patch panel to provide POE to a any CAT 5
> drop, as needed.

> I can imagine a iU high POE power supply in the rack, between the
> patch panels for all the floor wiring and the switch, with 16
> pairs, in-out, to provice power, sort of like an old  switchboard.

> Does this exist ?

The power injectors that I've seen are just a wall wart and a cube
about the size of a two port surface mount box with two 8P8C jacks on
it.  One goes to the switch, the other goes to the panel.

###Got a Question about ELECTRONICS?   Check HERE First:###
http://users.pandora.be/educypedia/electronics/databank.htm
My email address is whitelisted.  *All* email sent to it
goes directly to the trash unless you add NOSPAM in the
Subject: line with other stuff.  alondra101 <at> hotmail.com
Don't be ripped off by the big book dealers.  Go to the URL
that will give you a choice and save you money(up to half).
http://www.everybookstore.com  You'll be glad you did!
Just when you thought you had all this figured out, the gov't

1. Ethernet cable and power wire coexist ?

Hi, netter

Can I put ethenet cable (coaxial or twisted pair)
and power wire(110 volt) together or even twisted
into a plastic pipe in the wall ?

I will rewire the power wire for my new home, I think
if might be a good idea to make ehternet socket
and power socket side by side.

Will it cause any interference problem ?

Thanks in advance for the pointer

Tyng-Jing Yang

--
Tyng-Jing Yang
#221 Sec. 2 Chin-Nein Rd.
Fong-Shang City 830,Taiwan
FAX/Phone: +886-7-7423118

2. mgetty+sendfax: cannot set fax station ID

3. running an ethernet (thinnet) link over a power line (or power over thinnet)

4. Newbie: MRTG chart types

5. voice-overs

6. Need help on T1 installation

7. 4 wire analog package thru power

8. Urgent Requirement :- Senior .NET Web Developer.

9. Interference from other wires/power strips

10. Power wiring...

11. Ethernet over ac power lines

12. Cisco Power over Ethernet PoE