Quality of MFG Hardware jacks and plugs

Post by Dan Hoye » Tue, 06 May 1997 04:00:00

To: Anyone,

I am in the process of deciding on a vendor for hardware on my new
cabling plant. Does anyone know of any reviews for the different
manufacturers? Specifically: AMP, MOD-TAP, AT$T and ORTRONICS. Or if you
have any experience good or bad with one of these I'd appreciate a note!

I recently received samples from AT$T and AMP. What I found was that the
AT$T jacks keep the twist per foot count all the way up to the end of the
housing for the Modular 8 jacks, and they plate about 50% more of the
surface area on the contacts with gold as compared to the standard AMP
Net-Connect Mod8 jacks. I also know that Modular 8s are notorious for
high NEXT, and the twists are one of the ways of combating this problem.

Thanks for any replies,

Dan

Quality of MFG Hardware jacks and plugs

Post by John Lundgr » Wed, 07 May 1997 04:00:00

: To: Anyone,

: I am in the process of deciding on a vendor for hardware on my new
: cabling plant. Does anyone know of any reviews for the different
: manufacturers? Specifically: AMP, MOD-TAP, AT$T and ORTRONICS. Or if you
: have any experience good or bad with one of these I'd appreciate a note!

: I recently received samples from AT$T and AMP. What I found was that the
: AT$T jacks keep the twist per foot count all the way up to the end of the
: housing for the Modular 8 jacks, and they plate about 50% more of the
: surface area on the contacts with gold as compared to the standard AMP
: Net-Connect Mod8 jacks. I also know that Modular 8s are notorious for
: high NEXT, and the twists are one of the ways of combating this problem.

It's not AT$T, it's Lucent.

It seems that Lucent has gotten many makers of modular furniture to use
their jack faceplates as their standard.

I personally like the AMP iconized jacks better.  But I can't fight the
trend.

: Thanks for any replies,

: Dan

--

#===================================================================#
| U s e   t h e   E M A I L   a d d r e s s  i n  t h i s   .S I G  |

|    Rancho Santiago Community College District  |  rancho.cc.ca.us |
|     17th St at Bristol \ Santa Ana, CA 92706   | http://www.rancho|
| My opinions are my own, and not my employer's. |    .cc.ca.us     |
!  You MAY NOT use my email address for unsolicited Email or lists! !
#======P=G=P==k=e=y==a=v=a=i=l=a=b=l=e==u=p=o=n==r=e=q=u=e=s=t======#

Quality of MFG Hardware jacks and plugs

Post by Dan Hoye » Thu, 08 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> It's not AT$T, it's Lucent.

No offense ment, but the jack has AT$T stamped on it in several places. I
guess it doesn't matter what you call them. Actually I have heard others
call them things that I wouldn't even post in a newsgroup. hahaha!

I talked with the engineers who designed the jacks at AMP, and they were
telling me about the wire-frame technology v.s. the printed circuit board
designs. They said it doesn't really matter which technology you are
using, it only matters that you meet the current specifications for CAT 5
termination certification. They said the industry is split about 50/50 on
the two designs for the jacks. In other words, noboby knows which is
better yet.

Thanks for the reply,

Dan

Post by Bob Sweitze » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

> > It's not AT$T, it's Lucent.

> No offense ment, but the jack has AT$T stamped on it in several places. I
> guess it doesn't matter what you call them. Actually I have heard others
> call them things that I wouldn't even post in a newsgroup. hahaha!

> I talked with the engineers who designed the jacks at AMP, and they were
> telling me about the wire-frame technology v.s. the printed circuit board
> designs. They said it doesn't really matter which technology you are
> using, it only matters that you meet the current specifications for CAT 5
> termination certification. They said the industry is split about 50/50 on
> the two designs for the jacks. In other words, noboby knows which is
> better yet.

> Thanks for the reply,

> Dan

Dan,
 I don't agree with that. What you have to remember is that "CAT5" is a
MINIMUM standard. The cheapest CAT5 jack will meet the standard. What
makes a jack better or worse is how much it exceeds the standard. A good
quality jack will give the link some headroom that may be needed to
offset a less than perfect termination, or poor quality cable, or cheap
patch cords, etc. However, a jack that justs meets the standards, along
with a less than perfect termination, or poor quality cable, or cheap
patch cords will lead to a link that won't pass the minimum standards.

                                            Bob

Quality of MFG Hardware jacks and plugs

Post by John Lundgr » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

Our contractor installed a couple hundred jacks this week, and they used
AT&T/Lucent jacks that are rated, get this:

MPS5

Each jack has that stamped on its face, so you can see it when you plug
the plug in.  The guys were telling me that this is the new 600 something
megahertz rated jack.  They said that Anixter is subbing these for the old
cat5 rated jacks.  I don't have the part number at my fingertips right
now, if anyone needs it they can email me at the .sig address.  I
haven't pulled one apart yet to see what makes them so special, but when
I get some, I'll try to find out.  They are probably just trying to
maintain the twists as much as possible.  I noticed that the pinouts of
each pair are grouped side-by-side, rather than on opposite sides of the
jack as in the old ones.

[...]

: >
: > >
: > > It's not AT$T, it's Lucent.
: > >
: >
[...]

What you did NOT say is that out of a thousand jacks that come off the
asembly line, many, as in a statistical curve, will exceed the specs by an
acceptable margin, while a few may come close to the minimum, and very few
may even not make minimum specs.  So the quality of a jack doesn't depend
on just the make or maker of the jack, but the individual jack itself.

So the m*of this story is to _never_ buy a jack made on a Monday. ;-)

   A good
: quality jack will give the link some headroom that may be needed to
: offset a less than perfect termination, or poor quality cable, or cheap
: patch cords, etc. However, a jack that justs meets the standards, along
: with a less than perfect termination, or poor quality cable, or cheap
: patch cords will lead to a link that won't pass the minimum standards.

And there are other concerns besides electrical specs.  We have a GDC
modem that is used for our whole voicemail system.  One of our software
people stuck an RJ-11 plug into the RJ-45 jack, and it bent the pins on
the ends down so much that they would not make contact with the RJ-45
plug.  TO compound matters, the pins got bent more when we tried to
straighten them.  So the cheap metal that was used for the pins was not as
strong or springy as the phosphor bronze pins used in better quality
jacks.

The m*of this story is to keep the software people away from the
hardware. ;-))

:                                             Bob

--

#===================================================================#

|     17th St at Bristol \ Santa Ana, CA 92706   | http://www.veryComputer.com/|
| My opinions are my own, and not my employer's. |    .cc.ca.us     |
!  You MAY NOT use my email address for unsolicited Email or lists! !
#======P=G=P==k=e=y==a=v=a=i=l=a=b=l=e==u=p=o=n==r=e=q=u=e=s=t======#

Quality of MFG Hardware jacks and plugs

Post by Fred Goldbe » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

If responding by e-mail, use the e-mail address shown below.

curled his lips and emitted these profound words:
|:|> Dan,
|:|>  I don't agree with that. What you have to remember is that "CAT5" is a
|:|> MINIMUM standard. The cheapest CAT5 jack will meet the standard. What
|:|> makes a jack better or worse is how much it exceeds the standard. A good
|:|> quality jack will give the link some headroom that may be needed to
|:|> offset a less than perfect termination, or poor quality cable, or cheap
|:|> patch cords, etc. However, a jack that justs meets the standards, along
|:|> with a less than perfect termination, or poor quality cable, or cheap
|:|> patch cords will lead to a link that won't pass the minimum standards.
|:|>
|:|>                                             Bob

Not to jump on your thread but ...

I have been in this industry sine the late 60's. I have yet to see any CAT5
products (excluding cable) where its design specifications (other than just
saying that it's CAT5) are published. I deal directly with both AMP & Stewart
who manufacture CAT5 products. Stewart claims that their product is superior.
AMP poo poos their claim. Regardless, it is not feasible to test each component
prior to installation. Yes there is junk out there that should be avoided. But,
there is little or no difference between all the "good" stuff.

If your network equipment calls for CAT5 and you install CAT6 (if and when
available), would you expect to see any noticable improvement in your network's
operation? I don't think so.

Regards

--

Fred Goldberg

=*=*=*=*=
Anti-SPAM: to respond by e-mail, use the below address only.

                         Ackcomm, Inc.
                       14A Tennent Road
                    Morganville, NJ  07751
        Communications & Computer Equipment Since 1981
   Consulting - Network Design - Installation - Maintenance
Manufacturers of Quality Copper & Fiber Optic Cable Assemblies

=*=*=*=*

Quality of MFG Hardware jacks and plugs

Post by Don Ritch » Sun, 11 May 1997 04:00:00

: >
: > >
: > > It's not AT$T, it's Lucent.
: > >
: >
:
: Dan,
:  I don't agree with that. What you have to remember is that "CAT5" is a
: MINIMUM standard. The cheapest CAT5 jack will meet the standard. What
: makes a jack better or worse is how much it exceeds the standard. A good
: quality jack will give the link some headroom that may be needed to
: offset a less than perfect termination, or poor quality cable, or cheap
: patch cords, etc. However, a jack that justs meets the standards, along
: with a less than perfect termination, or poor quality cable, or cheap
: patch cords will lead to a link that won't pass the minimum standards.
:
:                                             Bob

I don't work for Pan-duit, nor do I own any stock ( yet )
But I have gone to Pan-duit minicoms in ALMOST every job I have done in
the last six months, along with Ortronics or AMP patch panels.

Don

--

Don Ritchie               Century Communications            Euclid, Ohio

         THE BEST THING ABOUT WINDOWS 95  .  .  .  THE DOS PROMPT  ! ! !

1. RJ45 plug to wall jack to RJ45 plug

Does anyone make a wall jack that allows connecting an RJ45 plug into both
front and back(with, for example, a dual in-line connector)? Particularly
with two jacks front and back (facing the room's interior and facing the
wall stud space). I wired my house this way for my coax cabling, and
wondered if it were possible to also do my ethernet this way. All I've seen
so far are jacks with the wire connectors on the back of the faceplate. I've
*seen* the dual in-line connectors (RJ45 female jacks on each end of a box),
but they won't fit into any faceplates I saw.

I plan to run a patch cable from the rear of the jack in one end of the
house to the same in the other end. The faceplate with two jacks would be
feeding two rear bedrooms. The first cable connecting to the rear jack would
be bringing the connection to a hub in the front bedroom; then a cable from
that hub would feed a computer there and return back to the second jack on
that faceplate to feed through to the second bedroom.

Thanks in advance. Ideas welcome!

2. My CD-ROM player no longer reliabaly reads CD-Rs

3. Supply Telephone Accessories,Modular Adapters Couplers,Duplex Jack,Triplex Adapters,ADSL Adapters,Plug With RJ12 Jacks

4. star LS5 page overflow error

5. plug modem into handset jack?

6. DAVID AINSBURG - MOUSE

7. Phone plugs and jacks in many countries

8. Can anyone help name these games?

9. I need help finding a plug for this jack!!!

10. Telco 309 and 209 plugs and jacks

11. When Were Round Plugs and Jacks Invented?

12. Where can I buy 2.4 Ghz plugs/jacks at a good price?

13. How to connect DSL Modem w/USB-A jack to LAN with RJ-45 plug?