Finding MAC address w/ XP?

Post by kur » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 22:41:28

Hello-

I currently subscribe to Adelphia and use the modem they provided me.
However, I want to use another cable modem which I own and am trying
to get its MAC address to give to Adelphia.  Under WinXP, how does one
go about doing this?  The modem's manual provides a URL from which to
get configuration info, but as the modem isn't registered with
Adelphia I can't connect to it.  Likewise, the modem (a 3com Home
Connect) has a couple of numbers printed on it, but none is labeled as
a MAC address.  Finally, as I'm using XP, winipcfg doesn't work.  Any
help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kurt

Finding MAC address w/ XP?

Post by lesl » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:44:29

: Hello-
:
: I currently subscribe to Adelphia and use the modem they provided me.
: However, I want to use another cable modem which I own and am trying
: to get its MAC address to give to Adelphia.  Under WinXP, how does one
: go about doing this?  The modem's manual provides a URL from which to
: get configuration info, but as the modem isn't registered with
: Adelphia I can't connect to it.  Likewise, the modem (a 3com Home
: Connect) has a couple of numbers printed on it, but none is labeled as
: a MAC address.  Finally, as I'm using XP, winipcfg doesn't work.  Any
: help is much appreciated.
:

You should be able to connect to the LAN side of the 3COM modem
even though it's not registered:

   http://www.neotechcc.org/modemscd/sharkfin.htm
   NeoTechCC-Built for the Techs, By a Tech!

  "...3Com SharkFin & HomeConnect

   Cable Modem HTML Interface

   (Latest firmware version 1.02/1)
   Ethernet/Usb IP 192.168.100.20
   Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
   Browser Address:192.168.100.1
   SharkFin Internal Modem pages new

   (Oldest firmware version 1.04)
   Ethernet/Usb IP None required
   Subnet mask: None required
   Browser Address:149.112.50.65
   SharkFin Internal Modem pages old

   Cable Modem Notes;

   When attempting to access the HTML Interface
   thru a Web Browser and you get prompted for a
   "User Name" and "Password" and if the customer
   never changed them.

   The default User name is "User" and the default
   Password is "Password".

   If those dont work reset the Cable Modem and
   try again..."

HTH,

--Jerry Leslie   (my opinions are strictly my own)

Finding MAC address w/ XP?

Post by Jim Orfanako » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 07:38:49

Let's clarify a few things:

1)  use ipconfig /a on Win2K and XP

2) that will only tell you the MAC address of your NIC

3)  Plug your PC into the 3Com...and reboot your pc (or do a ipconfig
/release, ipconfig /renew) and then follow your documentation on how to
connect to it

4) after you have done that - the admin interface will have all the info you
need.  From a command prompt, you can also issue an 'arp -a' ...which will
show you all IP's and MAC's on your local network.  In your case you will
see the TCP/IP address of the modem and it's MAC address.

5)  Look at the stickers on the modem - and the 12 character hexadecimal
number is your MAC address

: : Hello-
: :
[...]

Post by Jbob » Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:34:53

Jim

I tried that on my setup but don't see the MAC for the modem.  I don't need
it as I can read the sticker but was just checking to see if it worked.
When I do an arp -a request it only shows my Router MAC and of course the IP
of my NIC.  Did I do something wrong?

> [...]

> :    Subnet mask: None required
> :    Browser Address:149.112.50.65
> :    SharkFin Internal Modem pages old
> :
> :    Cable Modem Notes;
> :
> :    When attempting to access the HTML Interface
> :    thru a Web Browser and you get prompted for a
> :    "User Name" and "Password" and if the customer
> :    never changed them.
> :
> :    The default User name is "User" and the default
> :    Password is "Password".
> :
> :    If those dont work reset the Cable Modem and
> :    try again..."
> :
> :
> : HTH,
> :
> : --Jerry Leslie   (my opinions are strictly my own)

Post by lesl » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 00:29:52

: Hello-
:
: I currently subscribe to Adelphia and use the modem they provided me.
: However, I want to use another cable modem which I own and am trying
: to get its MAC address to give to Adelphia.  Under WinXP, how does one
: go about doing this?  The modem's manual provides a URL from which to
: get configuration info, but as the modem isn't registered with
: Adelphia I can't connect to it.  Likewise, the modem (a 3com Home
: Connect) has a couple of numbers printed on it, but none is labeled as
: a MAC address.  Finally, as I'm using XP, winipcfg doesn't work.  Any
: help is much appreciated.
:

The MAC address will start with one of the following values:

   http://www.cavebear.com/CaveBear/Ethernet/vendor.html
   Ethernet Codes: Vendor codes

  "Ethernet hardware addresses are 48 bits, expressed as 12 hexadecimal
   digits (0-9, plus A-F, capitalized). These 12 hex digits consist of
   the first/left 6 digits (which should match the vendor of the Ethernet
   interface within the station) and the last/right 6 digits which
   specify the interface serial number for that interface vendor.

   Ethernet addresses might be written unhyphenated (e.g. 123456789ABC),
   or with one hyphen (e.g. 123456-789ABC), but should be written
   hyphenated by octets (e.g. 12-34-56-78-9A-BC).

   [snip]

   00104B  3Com 3C905-TX PCI
   00105A  3Com Fast Etherlink XL in a Gateway 2000
   002085  3COM SuperStack II UPS management module
   0020AF  3COM Corporation
   0040B4  3COM K.K.
   005004  3com 3C90X
   006008  3Com 3Com PCI form factor 3C905 TX board
   00608C  3Com (1990 onwards)
   006097  3Com
   009004  3Com
   00A024  3com
   026060  3Com
   02608C  3Com IBM PC; Imagen; Valid; Cisco; Macintosh
   080002  3Com (formerly Bridge)
   08004E  BICC [3com bought BICC, so may appear on 3com equipment as well]
   3C0000  3Com dual function (V.34 modem + Ethernet) ..."

For example, my 3Com OfficeConnect LAN Modem's (ISDN router) MAC address
starts with 08004E.

--Jerry Leslie   (my opinions are strictly my own)

Finding MAC address w/ XP?

Post by Lars M. Hanse » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 03:54:15

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:34:53 -0400, Jbob spoketh

Quote:>Jim

>I tried that on my setup but don't see the MAC for the modem.  I don't need
>it as I can read the sticker but was just checking to see if it worked.
>When I do an arp -a request it only shows my Router MAC and of course the IP
>of my NIC.  Did I do something wrong?

Since MAC addresses are usually specific to which side of a router the
device is, it is very unlikely that you'll be able to see the MAC
address of your cablemodem (WAN side) from your computer (LAN side).

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

Finding MAC address w/ XP?

Post by Ed Nielse » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:06:23

Should be able to get the MAC address of your cable modem at
<http://192.168.100.1/address.html>(Typed into your browser).  It'll be
the HFC MAC Address.

CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
CENCOM
http://www.cencom94.com

 > ... it is very unlikely that you'll be able to see the MAC

Quote:> address of your cablemodem (WAN side) from your computer (LAN side).

> Lars M. Hansen
> http://www.hansenonline.net
> (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Finding MAC address w/ XP?

Post by DoC » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 06:56:32

um, not all modems have a web interface like the Motorola.  My $.02

 DoC

> Should be able to get the MAC address of your cable modem at
> <http://192.168.100.1/address.html>(Typed into your browser).  It'll be
> the HFC MAC Address.

> CIAO!

> Ed Nielsen
> CENCOM
> http://www.cencom94.com

>  > ... it is very unlikely that you'll be able to see the MAC
> > address of your cablemodem (WAN side) from your computer (LAN side).

> > Lars M. Hansen
> > http://www.hansenonline.net
> > (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Finding MAC address w/ XP?

Post by Ed Nielse » Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:02:15

True.  Not all, but many do.  There's an easy way to find about the one
in question...

CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
CENCOM
http://www.cencom94.com

> um, not all modems have a web interface like the Motorola.  My $.02

>  DoC

>>Should be able to get the MAC address of your cable modem at
>><http://192.168.100.1/address.html>(Typed into your browser).  It'll be
>>the HFC MAC Address.

>>CIAO!

>>Ed Nielsen
>>CENCOM
>>http://www.cencom94.com

>> > ... it is very unlikely that you'll be able to see the MAC

>>>address of your cablemodem (WAN side) from your computer (LAN side).

>>>Lars M. Hansen
>>>http://www.hansenonline.net
>>>(replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Finding MAC address w/ XP?

Post by Jim Orfanako » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:12:10

mea culpa - of course - " arp -a " will only show the MAC on LAN
side....brain fart on my side.

: On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:34:53 -0400, Jbob spoketh
:
: >Jim
: >
: >I tried that on my setup but don't see the MAC for the modem.  I don't
need
: >it as I can read the sticker but was just checking to see if it worked.
: >When I do an arp -a request it only shows my Router MAC and of course the
IP
: >of my NIC.  Did I do something wrong?
: >
:
: Since MAC addresses are usually specific to which side of a router the
: device is, it is very unlikely that you'll be able to see the MAC
: address of your cablemodem (WAN side) from your computer (LAN side).
:
: Lars M. Hansen
: http://www.hansenonline.net
: (replace 'badnews' with 'news' in e-mail address)

Finding MAC address w/ XP?

Post by Jim Orfanako » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 19:14:07

: Jim
:
: I tried that on my setup but don't see the MAC for the modem.  I don't
need
: it as I can read the sticker but was just checking to see if it worked.
: When I do an arp -a request it only shows my Router MAC and of course the
IP
: of my NIC.  Did I do something wrong?

a)  I did not realize you were going thru a router
b)  My tip will only show the mac address on the lan side, not the wan side
(my mistake) assuming you were not using a router

What about the web based interface?

Finding MAC address w/ XP?

Well that one works just fine.  I was just curious about the arp -a.