Wireless Network

Post by Timote » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

What about using a wireless LAN.  How affordable are they.  I notice they
have wireless connections for modem users for their home.  What about NIC to
Nic connections done wireless?

Anyone know something about this?

Regards,

Tim

Wireless Network

Post by Laurence Brockma » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

You'd get a better answer asking this question in comp.dcom.lans.ethernet

This has been under disccussion in that newsgroup. I can't tell you much about
it (Other then that it tends to be expensive) but people in that newsgroup can.

Laurence

--
------
Laurence Brockman                       LRHA Unix System Admin

Wireless Network

Post by Noah Singma » Thu, 25 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>What about using a wireless LAN.  How affordable are they.  I notice they
>have wireless connections for modem users for their home.  What about NIC
>to Nic connections done wireless?
>Anyone know something about this?

I studied it a bit, since I wanted to see if it was practical to set up a
LAN without having to do wiring in the house.  However, when you consider
that the fastest wireless LANs are much slower than 10BaseT, and the NICs
cost far more than 100BaseTX NICs (which now go for under $50) or even 100
MBps hubs (which now go for under $300), the wiring expense doesn't seem so
bad.

One point to the contrary is that many folks have questioned the need for
100BaseTX in the home.  But wireless, even if speed were no issue, is still
a very expensive solution.

Noah Singman

P.S. - I ended up going with Cat-5 wiring in the house.

1. Home network / wireless network router questions.

Hello,

I'm renovating my home and I want to install a combo wired and
wireless network through the house. I'm already pulled two cat 5e
wires from a wiring closet to each room and I'm now at the stage where
I'm planning how to tie it all together.  BTW the only thing the
network will really be used for is sharing a cable modem connection to
the internet and XBOX linkplay games.

I'm going to have about about 18 drops in the house and also want to
have wireless cover the house and backyard. My question is about
hardware.

I'm planing on using a Dlink wireless AP in the wiring closet and a
DWL 900ap+ in repeater mode to repeat the signal to the back yard.
The only problem that I have with the dlink router that I have now is
that is locks up alot and I have to reset it by unplugging it. Is this
common to all routers?  What causes this? collisions? hacking?

Does spending a little more money on a hardwired router increase the
reliability by alot?

I'm assuming I need a router. Could someone tell me the difference
(briefly) between a router, switch, hub, and bridge?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Best-Value Sequencing Software

3. Wireless networking + cabled network problems...

4. Problem with network and printer sharing?

5. Adding wireless network to existing network????

6. Rollover?

7. Interfacing HomeFree wireless Network with existing wired network

8. Help! Debugging in RHIDE doesn't work...!

9. Wireless network for visitors

10. Selecting only one wireless network

11. Cisco VPN and wireless network

12. Dynamic Trunk Protocol in wireless networks

13. Questions on ethernet over a wireless network