Comcast's Webspace?

Post by ccxxxxxx » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 02:23:31

When I put a file it in my web pages folder on the web space that Comcast
provides (using CuteFTP Pro } I use the following address to send to someone
and when they click on the link it goes into a direct download.
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/userid/file_name

Now my friend does exactly the same thing and neither he or I can click on
the link and have it get into a download. When you click on his link it
opens the IE6 browser with "Page can't be displayed"  Any input as to why.

Comcast's Webspace?

Post by ZSO » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 02:47:46

Why don't you try http://mywebpages.comcast.net/username

Quote:> When I put a file it in my web pages folder on the web space that Comcast

Post by Valentín Guillé » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 03:49:01

> When you click on his link it
> opens the IE6 browser with "Page can't be displayed"  Any input as to why.

It depends upon what the file is, and how you put the link into place.

If it's an executable, it should attempt to download, or to ask the user
what they wish to do with it.  If you right click on the link, what
happens? Are you presented with a choice of downloading or saving the
file?

Another way to approach this is to create a page a person goes to, which
then contains the link on that page.

An example of this issue is this:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/usenet1/music/ife.mp3

If you click on that link, depending upon how your browser is
configured, it will either attempt to display "gibberish", which is the
music file, OR it will spawn your favorite MP3 music player and play the
file.  Alternately, you can point your mp3 player at that location, and
listen to the music file.  It may depend upon how your browser is set to
handle the link.

You said:

Quote:> When you click on his link it
> opens the IE6 browser with "Page can't be displayed"  Any input as to > > why.

If the file is not an HTML page, then the "page" is not a page, and of
course, it can't be displayed properly.  Your browser can only display
HTML pages, not executables, compressed files, etc.

Regards,
--
Valentn Guilln
Earth - a subsidiary of Microsoft?

Comcast's Webspace?

Post by Larry W4C » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 14:48:50

Quote:>When I put a file it in my web pages folder on the web space that Comcast
>provides (using CuteFTP Pro } I use the following address to send to someone
>and when they click on the link it goes into a direct download.
>http://mywebpages.comcast.net/userid/file_name

>Now my friend does exactly the same thing and neither he or I can click on
>the link and have it get into a download. When you click on his link it
>opens the IE6 browser with "Page can't be displayed"  Any input as to why.

Does CuteFTP still install the Radiate/Aureate spyware like it used
to?  Installing any Cute programs always drove AdAware crazy with
installed spyware....

Larry W4CSC

Comcast's Webspace?

Post by Rudy » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 23:02:28

I have been using Cute FTP Pro 2.0 for a long time and it does not install
spyware of any type.
I run AdAware every couple days and it has never found spyware in Cute FTP
Pro. I also use The Cleaner to route out any Trojans that may have been
planted, but none ever found from Cute FTP Pro.

I also have had problems creating a link to trigger a direct download, seems
that is not working right now according to a Comcast Tech Rep. He said they
are working on it.

> >When I put a file it in my web pages folder on the web space that Comcast
> >provides (using CuteFTP Pro } I use the following address to send to
someone
> >and when they click on the link it goes into a direct download.
> >http://mywebpages.comcast.net/userid/file_name

> >Now my friend does exactly the same thing and neither he or I can click
on
> >the link and have it get into a download. When you click on his link it
> >opens the IE6 browser with "Page can't be displayed"  Any input as to
why.

> Does CuteFTP still install the Radiate/Aureate spyware like it used
> to?  Installing any Cute programs always drove AdAware crazy with
> installed spyware....

> Larry W4CSC

1. Comcast - Secondary account webspace - does your's work?

Ever since I've set up a few secondary accounts in February, I've been
unable to set up webspace / file locker on those secondary accounts.

I've called and sent plenty of messages to get it fixed and now in
May, it still does not work.

I've gotten a lot of "well, we can try this" from some tech support
people, and I never hear back from them or get the issue fixed.  I try
to log in to the webspace from my browser or my FTP client, and there
is no access allowed.  I get the "you must wait 24 hours" message.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Did you get it fixed?

For a test, you may want to attempt to set up a secondary account and
try to use it's webspace  / file locker and post your results here.

I would be curious to see if anyone else is having this problem.

-ds

2. Urgent requirement for WebSphere Integration Developer (WID) /Java Developer

3. Retrieving PDF from Comcast webspace

4. Fax and other problems

5. Comcast WebSpace / File Locker Problems?

6. Defragmenter

7. Comcast @Home: Webspace User Newsgroup - Blocked?

8. Metaresearch Digital Eye software

9. Linksys befw11s4 won't route w/comcast - what th''?!

10. Comcast 'Mistake' Costly to RCN

11. Comcast can't get to bank's URL?!?

12. I don't think I'm bound by the Comcast AUP...

13. Free webspace allows CGI...?