Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Emony_Da » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:47:14

I've just recently gotten Roadrunner cable internet service and I'm doing a
self install. I have two PCs using Window98se that I want to share the
single IP address. I only want to split the signal and allow it to go to
each PC. I specifically DO NOT want to set up a server. File/printer sharing
is turned off on both.

I set up PC1 first, from the Toshiba cable modem, through the Linksys
BEFSF41, to a 10/100 LAN NIC. It worked great. Next I installed the NIC on
PC2. I configured it with the same settings used on the first PC: TCP/IP,
IPX/SPX, and NetBEUI, DHCP enabled. But PC2 won't connect to the net,
although the router indicates that it's there.

msipcfg results are

PC1:
IP Address                   192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask                  255.255.255.0
Default Gateway              192.168.1.1
DHCP Server                  192.168.1.1

PC2:
IP Autoconfiguration Address 169.254.237.58
Subnet Mask                  255.255.0.0
Default Gateway              blank
DHCP Server                  255.255.255.255

Do I need to reset the router or modem?  Any help you can give would be
appreciated.

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Michael » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 19:15:44

On the Lan one PC should have been assigned by the linky ip address
192.168.1.100.  The other PC should have been assigned by the linky ip
address 192.168.1.101.  On your problem PC under Control Panel - Network
highlight your TCP/IP card that you have your ethernet cable attached to
then click properties - on the IP address tab do you have the box checked
that says "obtain an IP address automatically?"  Also on your problem PC the
control panel - network tab - identification tab do you have a unique
computer name and on the control panel - network tab - access control do you
have share level access control box checked?

called "home networking" which may be helpful.

michael r.

[...]

Post by Jim Orfanako » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 21:36:49

Your 2nd PC is not getting it's info from the Linksys.  The address you have
is a default address for a PC using DHCP when it does not find and address.

Check/swap cables, try releasing and renewing, power off and reboot.

--
  Jim Orfanakos

  To reply by e-mail, remove  "-nospam-" from the e-mail address

Quote:> I've just recently gotten Roadrunner cable internet service and I'm doing
> self install. I have two PCs using Window98se that I want to share the
> single IP address. I only want to split the signal and allow it to go to
> each PC. I specifically DO NOT want to set up a server. File/printer
sharing
> is turned off on both.

> I set up PC1 first, from the Toshiba cable modem, through the Linksys
> BEFSF41, to a 10/100 LAN NIC. It worked great. Next I installed the NIC on
> PC2. I configured it with the same settings used on the first PC: TCP/IP,
> IPX/SPX, and NetBEUI, DHCP enabled. But PC2 won't connect to the net,
> although the router indicates that it's there.

> msipcfg results are

> PC1:
> IP Address                   192.168.1.100
> Subnet Mask                  255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway              192.168.1.1
> DHCP Server                  192.168.1.1

> PC2:
> IP Autoconfiguration Address 169.254.237.58
> Subnet Mask                  255.255.0.0
> Default Gateway              blank
> DHCP Server                  255.255.255.255

> Do I need to reset the router or modem?  Any help you can give would be
> appreciated.

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Emony_Da » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 04:03:40

I first checked the cabling. Linky's lights indicate that it
found PC#2.  The PC#2's NIC lights show that it found
something at the other end of the cable.  The "100 LED" is
orange indicating a 100Mbps connect.  The "Link/Act LED" is
a constant green indicating that the card has been
successfully connected to a network.

I double checked all of my configuration settings and
discovered that DHCP wasn't enabled on the PC#2.  While I
was in the neighborhood, I removed all reference to IPX/SPX
and NetBEUI on both machines. I fixed the DHCP setting and
restarted both computers. PC#1 came up with all the same
data as before (except the lease dates).  PC#2 -- no change
except that the "Lease Obtained" date changed to the current
date/time.

Under winipcfg, I tried to release/reset and got the
following response:

IP CONFIGURATION MESSAGE BOX
Error
DHCP Server Unavailable: Renewing Adapter
                           OK

I entered the OK, the box went away, but nothing changed.
That's the current status, and my roommate's face is turning
a strange color of red.  She wants her internet access back
and is talking about me removing the Linky and paying 14.95
for a second IP address.  I'm not ready to give up yet,
because too many of you out there have said you've done this
successfully.

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Jim Orfanako » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 05:18:35

Try swapping the cable from the Linksys going to PC1 with the cable from the
Linksys going to PC2....and reboot

What happens?

--
  Jim Orfanakos

  To reply by e-mail, remove  "-nospam-" from the e-mail address

Quote:> I first checked the cabling. Linky's lights indicate that it
> found PC#2.  The PC#2's NIC lights show that it found
> something at the other end of the cable.  The "100 LED" is
> orange indicating a 100Mbps connect.  The "Link/Act LED" is
> a constant green indicating that the card has been
> successfully connected to a network.

> I double checked all of my configuration settings and
> discovered that DHCP wasn't enabled on the PC#2.  While I
> was in the neighborhood, I removed all reference to IPX/SPX
> and NetBEUI on both machines. I fixed the DHCP setting and
> restarted both computers. PC#1 came up with all the same
> data as before (except the lease dates).  PC#2 -- no change
> except that the "Lease Obtained" date changed to the current
> date/time.

> Under winipcfg, I tried to release/reset and got the
> following response:

> IP CONFIGURATION MESSAGE BOX
> Error
> DHCP Server Unavailable: Renewing Adapter
>                            OK

> I entered the OK, the box went away, but nothing changed.
> That's the current status, and my roommate's face is turning
> a strange color of red.  She wants her internet access back
> and is talking about me removing the Linky and paying 14.95
> for a second IP address.  I'm not ready to give up yet,
> because too many of you out there have said you've done this
> successfully.

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Emony_Da » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:12:14

Sorry to take so long; I had to step out.  As you suggested,
I swapped the two cables and rebooted.  Same results.  PC#2
still came up "IP Autoconfiguration Address 169.254.237.58."
I guess we can rule out the cables.

What about recycling the Linksys?  Do you think that  might
make any difference?

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Emony_Da » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 08:20:43

One additional piece of information.  I just looked a little
closer at the msipcfg results for the two PCs.  PC#1 has a
"DNS Server" address of 24.28.131.62.  PC#2 has a blank
field.

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Jim Orfanako » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:12:11

Try swapping out the ports on the Linksys.  Put PC2 where PC one is and Put
PC1 where PC2 is.  I suspect you may have a bad NIC in the second PC.

This will help determine if the Linksys is bad.

As far as the additional info...your PC's are supposed to get all the info
from the Linksys router.  If you have two DNS servers setup in the Linksys,
then you will see the same two when you run WINIPCFG (click on the ...
button next to the DNS server to rotate through them).  Go through all the
TCP/IP settings on both PC's and make sure they are all blank (no DNS
servers, no Gateway, No WINS, etc).

One more test.....

On PC2, hard code everything.  Set your TCP/IP address to 192.168.1.10,
subnet 255.255.255.0, enter the Linksys as your Gateway 192.168.1.1, and
enable DNS, give your PC any name (i.e. PC2), leave the domain blank, enter
the DNS servers, and any search paths that your ISP gave you, in the DNS
tab.  REBOOT.

This will help determine if the NIC is bad.

--
  Jim Orfanakos

  To reply by e-mail, remove  "-nospam-" from the e-mail address

Quote:> One additional piece of information.  I just looked a little
> closer at the msipcfg results for the two PCs.  PC#1 has a
> "DNS Server" address of 24.28.131.62.  PC#2 has a blank
> field.

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Emony_Da » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:17:39

PC#1 = Working PC        PC#2 = Non-connecting

1.  On each PC I'm obtaining an IP address automatically.
2.  Each PC has a unique computer name.
3.  Each PC has the "share access control box" checked.
4.  Additionally, DHCP is enabled on both.

PC#1's configurations are straight forward and consistent:
TCP/IP -> Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
(LNE100TXv4)
TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter
    Obtain an IP address automatically (enabled)
    Use DHCP for WINS Resolution  (enabled)

PC#2's has more configurations and they are inconsistent
with each other and mine.
TCP/IP -> Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
(LNE100TXv4)
    Obtain an IP address automatically (enabled)
    Use DHCP for WINS Resolution   (enabled)
TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter
TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter #2 (VPN Support)
TCP/IP -> AOL Dial-Up Adapter
TCP/IP -> AOL Adapter
   Obtain an IP address automatically (enabled)
    Use DHCP for WINS Resolution  (disabled)

One thing that jumps out at me is the TCP-IP -> Dial-Up
Adapter.  On PC#1 I have DHCP enabled.  On PC#2 it's
disabled.  However, when I attempt to configure this setting
on PC#2, I get the following *gram.  "You have asked to
change TCP/IP properties for a dial-up adapter.  In most
cases, these properties are unique to the specific network
which you are calling. blah blah blah."  I don't even know
if the "dial-up adapter" properties matter (on PC#1 or
PC#2).  I'm hesitant to jump in and change them without
knowing more about the subject.  I don't use AOL or the
newer MSN Explorer with Messenger Service.  I use Microsoft
Explorer (and Outlook Express) version 5.5.  I'd sure hate
to mess them up on my friend's PC.

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Emony_Da » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:05:36

I did the port swap and came up with the same results, so
the Linksys is OK.

Only one DNS server (that's on PC#1; PC#2 has none)

On the PC2 configuration hard coding.  Who do I apply these
settings to?  It has...

Post by Valentín Guillé » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 10:48:07

> I've just recently gotten Roadrunner cable internet service and I'm doing a
> self install. I have two PCs using Window98se that I want to share the
> single IP address. I only want to split the signal and allow it to go to
> each PC. I specifically DO NOT want to set up a server. File/printer sharing
> is turned off on both.

> I set up PC1 first, from the Toshiba cable modem, through the Linksys
> BEFSF41, to a 10/100 LAN NIC. It worked great. Next I installed the NIC on
> PC2. I configured it with the same settings used on the first PC: TCP/IP,
> IPX/SPX, and NetBEUI, DHCP enabled. But PC2 won't connect to the net,
> although the router indicates that it's there.

> msipcfg results are

> PC1:
> IP Address                   192.168.1.100
> Subnet Mask                  255.255.255.0
> Default Gateway              192.168.1.1
> DHCP Server                  192.168.1.1

This second computer probably has the wrong Subnet Mask value inserted.
It also needs to have 192.168.1.1 assigned as the default gateway.

Leave the DHCP Server stuff blank.   If the machine inserts stuff there,
that's OK
YOu need to add at least one DNS server to machine 2's configuration.

Quote:> PC2:
> IP Autoconfiguration Address 169.254.237.58
> Subnet Mask                  255.255.0.0
> Default Gateway              blank
> DHCP Server                  255.255.255.255

> Do I need to reset the router or modem?  Any help you can give would be
> appreciated.

Currently, I presume the machine doesn't recognize itself if you ping
127.0.0.1  or if you "ping localhost".  It needs to have the loopback
adapter recognized correctly, before it will seek to assign the eth0
interface.

A tip:  If you're not using Novell products on your network, delete
IPX/SPX protocols.  If you're not using a dialup adapter, delete them
all.  If not using the AOL dialup adapter to DIAL into AOL, delete it.

Anything that has to do with DIAL up adapters in your network
configuration stuff is INAPPLICABLE  to you here, and so get rid of
it.....delete them.

See how that goes.....
--
Valentn Guilln
http://www.thuntek.net/~vguillen

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Emony_Da » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:48:20

I told you I'd be back...

I know this is going to sound crazy, but I won't know for
sure until tomorrow if everything is working ok.  I entered
all of the settings you suggested.  After rebooting,
explorer 5.5 opened faster than a long-tailed cat in a room
full of rocking chairs.  I set the default page to
Roadrunner's URL.  So, ok, yes it worked.  The rest of the
test will be to see if the machine will handle email under
both AOL 6.0 and MSN Explorer (the new non-pop one).  I
don't know how to use either of these and will wait until
tomorrow until the PC's owner can test it out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those static settings
need to be set back to automatic?  Or are those values (IP,
Subnet, Gateway, DHCP Server) always the same.  If I ever
have to recycle the modem, won't they change?

By the way, thanks for jumping in on this dialog that Jim
and I had going.  The combined answers got me up and
running.

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Emony_Da » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 12:52:51

Thanks for all the help you've given.  After removing
everything from the network configuration that had the word
"dial-up" in it, I reconfigured the Linksys with static
information based on what I had in my machine.  PC2 does
seem to be connected to RR for now (it's fast).  I'll deal
with the static vs automatic IP address later.  Enough for
today.

Thanks again.

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Art » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:27:24

A question for Valentin,
If I want two PC's in this configuration to be able to talk to each other
(share files) but do not want outside File Sharing outside my network, can I
use NeBEUI to communicate between the two?

Can they share hardware, (CD-ROM, etc)?

Trouble Connecting 2nd PC to a BEFSR41 Router

Post by Jim Orfanako » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 19:24:50

Now that you have removed everything but the Linksys LNE 100TX Fast Ethernet
Adapter.....try settings it to get  it's address automatically.  Remove any
entries you made in the gateway and DNS tabs.

--
  Jim Orfanakos

  To reply by e-mail, remove  "-nospam-" from the e-mail address

Quote:> Thanks for all the help you've given.  After removing
> everything from the network configuration that had the word
> "dial-up" in it, I reconfigured the Linksys with static
> information based on what I had in my machine.  PC2 does
> seem to be connected to RR for now (it's fast).  I'll deal
> with the static vs automatic IP address later.  Enough for
> today.

> Thanks again.

1. Trouble connecting with modem (2nd request)

Hello again.  I haven't yet received a reply from my plea of last
week, so I'm going to try reposting it.  PLEASE, if you have any
ideas, even if they are only speculations, I'm desperate for something
to try.  My best guess is that some .INI setting might be wrong, or
that it has to do with running in 386 enhanced mode, which I wasn't
doing before, but I'm no expert.  I have tried changing the COMIRQSharing
flag in the SYSTEM.INI file, but this seemed to have no effect.
Any advice or ideas or even guesses would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.  Here's the original posting and details of my problem:

I'm having a problem I haven't seen discussed here, and thought perhaps the
kind people in network-land might be able to help.  I've just upgraded my
computer from a 1-meg 286 to an 8-meg 386SX, both machines running DOS 5, Win
3.1, and Dynacomm 3.0.  In the process, I also changed my internal modem (a
2400 bps model by Compudyne) from COM3 to COM1, and changed the appropriate
settings (as far as I know) in Windows and Dynacomm.  However, somehow the
program I wrote to login to my local mainframe no longer works.  The modem
picks up, dials the number correctly, and connects, but Dynacomm doesn't seem
to realize that the connection has been made.  Instead, it continues to
display the dialog box and the timer just keeps moving along.  The piece of
code which seems to be failing is very simple:
        dial
        if connect() goto login
        cancel
(Actually, there's a second phone number loop which is also in there, but it
doesn't seem to make any difference.)  Somehow, Dynacomm isn't receiving the
connection.  I can cancel the program when I hear the connection being made,
and the modem does (then) return "connect 2400" and from there I can complete
the login manually, but this is still very frustrating.  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance, Chris Loschen

2. Heart of Darkness

3. cannot get 2nd PC connecting to @Home via LinkSys switch

4. Rewriting headers for sendmail V8 on HP-UX 10.20

5. can't get 2nd pc to connect

6. ss5, 3 sbus slots, right?

7. When I connect second PC to router, both PC's request timesout, why?

8. OS-9 on MCS computer

9. Trouble: Connecting WIN98 and DOS-PC (ethernet)

10. Which cable to get for connecting DWL-1000AP and LinkSys BEFSR41 ETHERFAST CABLE/DSL ROUTER ?

11. Linksys BEFSR41 DSL Router, problems connecting to some websites

12. problems connecting Linksys routers together (BEFSR41 and BEFW11S4)

13. Info on connecting PC to PC and PC to Mac using Null Modem cable Wanted