DHCP unable to release/renew an IP address

DHCP unable to release/renew an IP address

Post by Ryangreel » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 00:54:59



Subject: DHCP unable to release an IP address

Date: 6/6/2001 8:51 AM Pacific Daylight Time

I have a HP 6835 and installed a Linksys LNE 100TX Ethernet Card and have been
trying to get Road Runner Cable hook up ..I receive an error message "There is
one network adapter in the system and it is configured for DHCP but is unable
to release / renew an IP address. I have talked to about 5 or 6 Road Runner
Tech but they can't get me logged on...Any help would be appreciated .  Thanks

 
 
 

DHCP unable to release/renew an IP address

Post by Chuc » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 05:01:33


Quote:

> I have a HP 6835 and installed a Linksys LNE 100TX Ethernet Card and have
been
> trying to get Road Runner Cable hook up ..I receive an error message
"There is
> one network adapter in the system and it is configured for DHCP but is
unable
> to release / renew an IP address. I have talked to about 5 or 6 Road
Runner
> Tech but they can't get me logged on...Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks

Is this only network adapter only 100mbs or is it also 10mbs?

 
 
 

DHCP unable to release/renew an IP address

Post by Ryangreel » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 05:18:28


It is both a 10 Mbps and a 100 Mbps
 
 
 

DHCP unable to release/renew an IP address

Post by Jeff W » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 08:36:43


Have you tried another adapter?

Jeff W.


Quote:

> > I have a HP 6835 and installed a Linksys LNE 100TX Ethernet Card and
have
> been
> > trying to get Road Runner Cable hook up ..I receive an error message
> "There is
> > one network adapter in the system and it is configured for DHCP but is
> unable
> > to release / renew an IP address. I have talked to about 5 or 6 Road
> Runner
> > Tech but they can't get me logged on...Any help would be appreciated .
> Thanks

> Is this only network adapter only 100mbs or is it also 10mbs?

 
 
 

DHCP unable to release/renew an IP address

Post by Sammy the Slu » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 10:49:39


Please ensure that you go to the advanced settings, and choose 10 half
duplex.  A cable network only works on 10 half.  If you try to make it (or
if it autodetects wrong) you will get this error.  You say you've contacted
Road Runner, so I'm assuming that you've made sure that the new network card
is provisioned.


Quote:> It is both a 10 Mbps and a 100 Mbps

 
 
 

DHCP unable to release/renew an IP address

Post by Kaeolda » Fri, 08 Jun 2001 12:38:38



says...

Quote:

>It is both a 10 Mbps and a 100 Mbps

If your allowing the NIC/Switch to autosense the linespeed, try hard setting
them to 10Mb.  Watch the activity lights on your modem.  If autosensing is
messed up the BOOTP request might not be making it through the switch.

It could also be a problem with your drivers.  If on a Windows box, try removing
the networking components, rebooting, readding, rebooting to see if that helps.

As a last resort the DCHP server will remember the MAC address of your NIC and
the IP address it assigned to it for the duration of the lease.  You could
possibly give the techs another call to see if they can tell you what the DHCP
server has assigned you and then statically set your network settings and
troubleshoot that way.

Good luck,
-Kae

 
 
 

DHCP unable to release/renew an IP address

Post by Sami Yous » Sat, 09 Jun 2001 18:50:01




Quote:>Please ensure that you go to the advanced settings, and choose 10 half
>duplex.  ".  If you try to make it
>(or if it autodetects wrong) you will get this error.  You say you've
>contacted Road Runner, so I'm assuming that you've made sure that the
>new network card is provisioned.

Though that might work... it is no longer possible to state "A cable
network only works on 10 half". I have a Surboard 4100 cablemodem that can
communiocate at 100mb full duplex with the network card.  It is true that
it would never reach those speeds but the 10mb half duplex issue is no
longer a blanket reason...
 
 
 

1. Dynamic IP Address Release/Renew

        When I ask this question, I am refering to a Cisco 831 router
that is taking a dynamic IP address from the cablemodem provider.  

        In Windows 2000, you can type 'ipconfig /release' to release
the dynamic IP address assigned to the PC and then type 'ipconfig
/renew' to get another dynamic IP address assigned.  

        Is/are there IOS command(s) to release and renew the dynamic
IP address from the cable provider?  If so what is/are it/they?  

        I know that you can just reload the router to do it, but I
want to be able to do it without taking the router down.  

        Thanks,

                                        Fred

2. Opinions wanted on the HP1000 Laser Printer

3. constantly releasing/renewing ip address

4. Extracting attachments from email using procmail

5. DHCP: Renew of IP-address problem because of periodic inactive line

6. Opinions on _Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 Days?_

7. @Home, switching PCs, must release/renew dhcp lease?

8. CLR locks up my machine

9. Release DHCP IP Address in MS Windows System

10. Releasing and Renewing An IP

11. DHCP Address Renew Failures on Comcast

12. Need to release and renew IP Configuration on each reboot

13. Release/Renew IP on a Linksys router