2 NICS with 98 and NAT, doesn't work, anyone actually get it to work?

2 NICS with 98 and NAT, doesn't work, anyone actually get it to work?

Post by Harry L » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have two netgear FA310TX Network cards based on a DEC chipset
installed in my computer.  Under NT, I have installed both cards, and
enabled one card to connect to the cable modem and the other card to
connect to my lan, and am using a NAT program to allow others in my
lan to access the internet.  So no problems under NT.

Under 98, I have the exact same setup, and everything registers
properly under the TCPIP protocols for both of my network cards.  I
can internally ping all of my computers on the LAN but cannot reach
the internet, although all the settings are exactly the same as NT
using winipcfg.  The card for cable modem uses DHCP (the IP address is
essentially static based on a preassigned computer name) and the card
for my internal net uses private static IP addresses.

I have tried entering in the correct static IP's for my cable modem
network card but that does not work as well.

Anyone else have this problem?  Do I need to do something to use two
network cards under 98?  I assume 98 can support two network cards
although I have no experience with this.  Just everyone is
recommending all these NAT programs for 95/98 to share cable modem
with their networks.

Who has actually gotten this to work under 98?  I have so much stuff
installed under 98 that I am thinking I just need a clean install for
it to work properly, if anyone has actually used it...

Harry

2 NICS with 98 and NAT, doesn't work, anyone actually get it to work?

Post by r.. » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

said:

Quote:>Who has actually gotten this to work under 98?  I have so much stuff
>installed under 98 that I am thinking I just need a clean install for
>it to work properly, if anyone has actually used it...

Works for me.

You should try to isolate the problem.  Sounds like you basically
have...you can't see the internet over your cable modem.  That's bad.
Take out your other NIC to see if thats a problem, but I wouldn't think
so.

When you have your cable modem NIC set for DHCP, is it getting it's
lease?  You can run WINIPCFG to check the IP info for each network card.
If you're not even getting your IP lease, your network card may not be
starting right, or you might have connection problems on the cable.

---------
To reply by email, send to:
blosser<at>home<dot>com

2 NICS with 98 and NAT, doesn't work, anyone actually get it to work?

Post by W.C. » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have no problems with NAT software. Btw, what NAT software are you using?
I use sygate. You need to enter adapter address for each card, then run
winipcfg.exe to release and renew ip. I've tried NAT95, NAT32, and Sygate,
they all works fine with my Netgears.

>I have two netgear FA310TX Network cards based on a DEC chipset
>installed in my computer.  Under NT, I have installed both cards, and
>enabled one card to connect to the cable modem and the other card to
>connect to my lan, and am using a NAT program to allow others in my
>lan to access the internet.  So no problems under NT.

>Under 98, I have the exact same setup, and everything registers
>properly under the TCPIP protocols for both of my network cards.  I
>can internally ping all of my computers on the LAN but cannot reach
>the internet, although all the settings are exactly the same as NT
>using winipcfg.  The card for cable modem uses DHCP (the IP address is
>essentially static based on a preassigned computer name) and the card
>for my internal net uses private static IP addresses.

>I have tried entering in the correct static IP's for my cable modem
>network card but that does not work as well.

>Anyone else have this problem?  Do I need to do something to use two
>network cards under 98?  I assume 98 can support two network cards
>although I have no experience with this.  Just everyone is
>recommending all these NAT programs for 95/98 to share cable modem
>with their networks.

>Who has actually gotten this to work under 98?  I have so much stuff
>installed under 98 that I am thinking I just need a clean install for
>it to work properly, if anyone has actually used it...

>Harry

2 NICS with 98 and NAT, doesn't work, anyone actually get it to work?

Post by Harry L » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Well, I finally got it to work.  Some things I was reinstall my
network card drivers (had to boot into safe mode to remove them, and
cleaned up registry entries that pertained to them as well as an
unknown device I assumed was conflicting with the network cards).

I got to basically where I was before, pinging my internal net, but
not being able to ping outside, although the DHCP server assigned all
the correct IP information including giving me a lease.  So I assumed
that the cable modem worked fine, when it booted it checked for IP
information and gave that information to my network card.  But I guess
when Win98 was looking outside of its IP range, it was using my card
for the internal net rather than for the external net, but of course I
had no idea how to change the order of search.

Anyways, after disabling IPX for the card connected to the internet,
and rebooting, it miraculously worked.  I also disabled file and
printer sharing over TCP/IP and just have it running over IPX over my
internal lan, hopefully that will provide a little security in Win98.

Anyways, thanks for the hope.  I just needed to know that it could
work before I spent so much more time fiddling with it.  I don't know
about you guys, but I never seem to have trouble isntalling things
under NT, just windows 98/95.

Harry

>said:

>>Who has actually gotten this to work under 98?  I have so much stuff
>>installed under 98 that I am thinking I just need a clean install for
>>it to work properly, if anyone has actually used it...

>Works for me.

>You should try to isolate the problem.  Sounds like you basically
>have...you can't see the internet over your cable modem.  That's bad.
>Take out your other NIC to see if thats a problem, but I wouldn't think
>so.

>When you have your cable modem NIC set for DHCP, is it getting it's
>lease?  You can run WINIPCFG to check the IP info for each network card.
>If you're not even getting your IP lease, your network card may not be
>starting right, or you might have connection problems on the cable.

>---------
>To reply by email, send to:
>blosser<at>home<dot>com

2 NICS with 98 and NAT, doesn't work, anyone actually get it to work?

Post by r.. » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

said:

Quote:>Anyways, after disabling IPX for the card connected to the internet,
>and rebooting, it miraculously worked.  I also disabled file and
>printer sharing over TCP/IP and just have it running over IPX over my
>internal lan, hopefully that will provide a little security in Win98.

Glad you got it working.

Just thought I'd pipe in and say that you've hit the best way to protect
your internal network from the outside world...use something besides
TCP/IP on the inside.

You're machine with the cable modem is still potentially vulnerable, but
unless you're running some sort of remote control app (PCAnywhere,
Carbon Copy, etc.) on the Internet machine, there's really no way to
access your other machines from the Internet.

Well done, you pass the first test :-)

---------
To reply by email, send to:
blosser<at>home<dot>com