At Home DNS servers ??

Post by David Knigh » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> 24.2.48.32  Does anyone know if this server is down, or do I have the
> wrong number ?

Add 1 to the last octet if you are in *ia.

David

At Home DNS servers ??

--
- John J. Gill
GILL & COMPANY, CPAs

1. multi-home DNS server behind PIX

Sorry for posting this twice (before as DNS problem with PIX), but I didn't get
any hits.  I've talked this over with MS and there's no issues with 2k
responding to DNS requests on 2 IPs bound to the same NIC.  There problem has to
be in the PIX.

We have T1's from multiple providers.  They come in via a 3640 (load balanced,
not BGP) and then go to a PIX 515-R (6.0.1).  For testing we have a single 2k
SP2 Server with 2 private IPs setup, say 192.168.1.100 (the primary IP on this
2k Server) and 192.168.1.200 (a secondary IP on the 2k Server).  The 2k Server
is set to listen on both IP addresses.

I have a public IP from T1 #1 static mapped in the PIX to 192.168.1.100 and a
public IP from T1 #2 static mapped in the PIX to 192.168.1.200.  I have conduit
permits for "domain" set for both mappings.  I am able to do nslookups to the
primary IP address but the 2nd one times out.

I can telnet to port 53 on both IPs (I just get a blinking cursor but that tells
me the port is open on the PIX).  Here's what happens when I nslookup (IPs
changed):

Default Server:  dc1.hq.domain.com
Address:  192.168.0.3

Default Server:  ns0.domain.net
Address:  1.1.1.250

Server:  ns0.domain.net
Address:  1.1.1.250

DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
DNS request timed out.
    timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to ns0.domain.net timed-out

If I do nslookup from a machine on the local private subnet to the secondary IP
address all works perfectly.

What I'm trying to do is get our DNS servers homed on 2 different backbones so
they're always accessible without having to buy 2 more servers to run DNS.

Any ideas?  Can I not do this with a PIX?  Is the PIX preventing DNS from
running on 2 IPs mapped to the same computer?  Any suggestions?

2. Problem: VPN reports port reserved for Router?

3. What are the @home DNS server IP addresses?

4. Anyone know how to change the PCL5 file format to be an ascii fil format.

5. AT&T@HOME DNS Server Addresses

6. Serious Monte Carlo on PC?

7. @Home DNS server question.

8. bug in mpw shell

9. I need help setting up a private, home DNS server

10. Multi-homed DNS server and IP name resolution

11. So @Home users NEVER access any news servers other than @Home news servers?

12. DNS Server behind another DNS Server?