Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

Post by JJ Quinliva » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 11:48:38



I'm considering purchasing a WinTV card to watch and record TV on my
computer.  But I'm concerned about having both the cable tv and cable modem
connection coming out of the same outlet.  Any issues with this?  Does it
require a splitter?

Thanks

JJ

 
 
 

Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

Post by boydwillist » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 12:03:16


Yup, splitter needed. You might have a problem with signal strength if
you have upstream splitters.



Quote:>I'm considering purchasing a WinTV card to watch and record TV on my
>computer.  But I'm concerned about having both the cable tv and cable modem
>connection coming out of the same outlet.  Any issues with this?  Does it
>require a splitter?

>Thanks

>JJ

Boyd Williston

 
 
 

Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

Post by BigJi » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 15:12:39


there are many issues with this, the best way is to have a separate drop
(line) for the cable modem.

Quote:> I'm considering purchasing a WinTV card to watch and record TV on my
> computer.  But I'm concerned about having both the cable tv and cable
modem
> connection coming out of the same outlet.  Any issues with this?  Does it
> require a splitter?

> Thanks

> JJ

 
 
 

Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

Post by Rob » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00


As long as your cabling is good, and the amplifiers at the street are
properly adjusted, running two upstream splitters (one at the side of the
home where the tap comes in from the street, and another between the TV and
the cablemodem) should be no problem whatsoever.  Cablemodems work
comfortably with up to 15 db loss to the tap.  Two 2-way splitters only
introduce 6db loss.

The real issue is the type of wiring you have.  If you don't have good RG6
cabling, it's often easiest and best just to run a new line directly from
the tap rather than trying to replace the existing wiring and then split off
of it.

-- Rob


> there are many issues with this, the best way is to have a separate drop
> (line) for the cable modem.


> > I'm considering purchasing a WinTV card to watch and record TV on my
> > computer.  But I'm concerned about having both the cable tv and cable
> modem
> > connection coming out of the same outlet.  Any issues with this?  Does
it
> > require a splitter?

> > Thanks

> > JJ

 
 
 

Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

Post by Roy Forg » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00




Quote:>there are many issues with this, the best way is to have a separate drop
>(line) for the cable modem.

This is pretty funny, GTE installed cable at my old house and I wanted
a TV drop and my Modem in the same place then used the existing line
for the TV but ran a new line all the way out to the box on the side
of the house.  I then watch them put all 4 of my outlets on a splitter
as there is only one line into the house.

This time AT&T put a splitter in my office and ran one to TV and one
to MODEM.  And put another splitter at the box for the other outlets.
They all work fine.

I think that as long as you have a good signal to begin with is the
only thing to worry about..



>> I'm considering purchasing a WinTV card to watch and record TV on my
>> computer.  But I'm concerned about having both the cable tv and cable
>modem
>> connection coming out of the same outlet.  Any issues with this?  Does it
>> require a splitter?

>> Thanks

>> JJ

 
 
 

Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

Post by James Knot » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00


As long as your signal level is adaquate, you'll be fine
with a splitter, provided the splitter can handle the cable
modem signal.  When my service was installed, I wound up
with two splitters in the path, but the tech adjusted the
levels to compensate.

> I'm considering purchasing a WinTV card to watch and record TV on my
> computer.  But I'm concerned about having both the cable tv and cable modem
> connection coming out of the same outlet.  Any issues with this?  Does it
> require a splitter?

> Thanks

> JJ

 
 
 

Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

Post by Raymond R Cassic » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00


I told the cable guy to install a splitter that had a -3db leg on it just
for the cable modem. Works like a champ and I have less then -7db loss over
a cable run that enters the ba*t, goes up 3 floors, and traverses the
attic for about 300 feet.
Now all I have to do is stop my phone cable that makes the same run from
picking up the local radio stations :)


> As long as your cabling is good, and the amplifiers at the street are
> properly adjusted, running two upstream splitters (one at the side of the
> home where the tap comes in from the street, and another between the TV
and
> the cablemodem) should be no problem whatsoever.  Cablemodems work
> comfortably with up to 15 db loss to the tap.  Two 2-way splitters only
> introduce 6db loss.

> The real issue is the type of wiring you have.  If you don't have good RG6
> cabling, it's often easiest and best just to run a new line directly from
> the tap rather than trying to replace the existing wiring and then split
off
> of it.

> -- Rob



> > there are many issues with this, the best way is to have a separate drop
> > (line) for the cable modem.


> > > I'm considering purchasing a WinTV card to watch and record TV on my
> > > computer.  But I'm concerned about having both the cable tv and cable
> > modem
> > > connection coming out of the same outlet.  Any issues with this?  Does
> it
> > > require a splitter?

> > > Thanks

> > > JJ

 
 
 

Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

Post by James Knot » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 04:00:00



> Now all I have to do is stop my phone cable that makes the same run from
> picking up the local radio stations :)

You can get filters or chokes, that will get rid of that
problem.
 
 
 

Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

Post by CableModemHel » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00


It requires a splitter. Get a good quality splitter or even better,
ask your cable company for a recommendation. If you already have
a splitter for an exisiting TV, try to avoid splitting the cable to
the the cable modem (I know, it is hard to avoid if you use a WinTV
card).

For a sketch, see http://www.cablemodemhelp.com/tvsplitter.htm



Quote:> I'm considering purchasing a WinTV card to watch and record TV on my
> computer.  But I'm concerned about having both the cable tv and cable
modem
> connection coming out of the same outlet.  Any issues with this?  Does
it
> require a splitter?

> Thanks

> JJ

--
----
Cable Modem FAQ: http://www.cablemodemhelp.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

Post by Albert Hennes » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 10:13:40



> It requires a splitter. Get a good quality splitter or even better,
> ask your cable company for a recommendation. If you already have
> a splitter for an exisiting TV, try to avoid splitting the cable to
> the the cable modem (I know, it is hard to avoid if you use a WinTV
> card).

> For a sketch, see http://www.veryComputer.com/

If you are sharing a signal path with a cable modem, use a highpass
filter!  That is the word from ATT Broadband Field Tech Support in
L A, Calif.  In the diagram at the website above, the highpass filter
should go after the green splitter before reaching a TV or a converter
box.  If you insist on putting a splitter in the red position (which the
site recommends against), put a highpass filter between that red
splitter and TV2.  The purpose of the highpass filter is to keep the
noise generated by the tuner circuitry (which is of a lower frequency
than the TV signals but in the same range as the data signals) out of
the data path.  Without the filter, the tuner card and the TV sets would
work, but the junk from the tuner circuitry in each device would be
seen as random data by the cable modem, and after a few days, the
random data could command the modem to reset some of its para-
meters so that the modem wouldn't work.  That is not to mention the
reduction in signal-to-noise ratio in the neighborhood LAN due the
increase in the general noise level, possibly resulting in lost packets
or a drop in speed.  In short, neglecting to use a highpass filter could
*up the system for you and your neighbors.

Al_Hennesy

 
 
 

1. Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

|-----------------------------------------------------------------
| To send me encrypted and signed e-mail use my PGP Key:
| http://pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5B6A8D98
|-----------------------------------------------------------------


There is no problem with hooking up your cable tv to your computer while
having your cable modem on it.  You will need a splitter if you only have
one cable in the room where you are hooking this up at.  If you do go with a
splitter go with a more rugged 1 GHZ splitter.  Stay away from the 866mhz
splitters as they are not very good for use with cable modems.

Radio Shack sells the cheapo 866mhz splitters (least in my area).  Don't go
there and if you do, be sure to buy 1 GHZ.  A good radio communication or
wiring store will have what you need.  Radio Shack will just sale you shit.

2. what's a used HP200lx worth?

3. Cable Modem & Cable TV On Seperate Outlets?

4. FS: Sparc 2 complete system

5. use cable modem cable for free cable tv?

6. minix 1.3 to 1.5.0

7. free tv, cable tv, and cable modem

8. Help request from Xerox?

9. Cable TV / Cable Modem network primers?

10. Anyone use their cable modem line to access free cable TV?

11. Cable connection for TV & Cable modem

12. cable modem and digital cable TV questions...