Desperate for broadband!

Post by Ki » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 02:53:24

OK, I've come to the realization that the ol' modem is just too slow.
So now I want a broadband connection.  I'm more than 10 miles from the
nearest CO, so DSL is out, right?  Adelphia's cable ends about 4 miles
up the road.  My view of the southern sky is obstructed by part of a
hill and some very tall trees, so it looks like even DirecWay is not
viable.  My cell phone says "No service" at my house.  It looks like
I'm in a dead zone for any current broadband option.  So, short of
moving is there *anything* I can do to get a speedy connection? Does
Adelphia extend their cable if potential customers lobby them?  Could
Verizon build another CO closer to me?  Could a few hardy lumberjacks
and some dynamite open up the view to the southern sky (and would it
be worth it)?  Or is there perhaps some other broadband thing out
there that will revolutionize access for deprived rural folk?

Kip

Desperate for broadband!

Post by Larr » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 04:02:10

Geez, Kip....You need to MOVE TO CIVILIZATION!....(c;

On the other hand I sat on a 4-lane highway for 2 hours today
literally parked with thousands of other rats in the maze.

Don't change a thing.  Internet service isn't worth it.......

Quote:>OK, I've come to the realization that the ol' modem is just too slow.
>So now I want a broadband connection.  I'm more than 10 miles from the
>nearest CO, so DSL is out, right?  Adelphia's cable ends about 4 miles
>up the road.  My view of the southern sky is obstructed by part of a
>hill and some very tall trees, so it looks like even DirecWay is not
>viable.  My cell phone says "No service" at my house.  It looks like
>I'm in a dead zone for any current broadband option.  So, short of
>moving is there *anything* I can do to get a speedy connection? Does
>Adelphia extend their cable if potential customers lobby them?  Could
>Verizon build another CO closer to me?  Could a few hardy lumberjacks
>and some dynamite open up the view to the southern sky (and would it
>be worth it)?  Or is there perhaps some other broadband thing out
>there that will revolutionize access for deprived rural folk?

>Kip

Larry

Extremely intelligent life must exist in the universe.
You can tell because they never tried to contact us.

Desperate for broadband!

Post by WV Cable Gu » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 08:24:55

It would cost the cable company many thousand$$$ to extend their cable.
  Their not going to add 4 miles of cable unless they can service
hundreds of customers.  Same goes for the phone company.

Your best bet is to buy a chainsaw and go to it.  Since the FCC requires
a professional tech to install the dish, find and talk to a tech before
buying the equipment.  He/she may have another direction you can take
other than killing a bunch of oxygen producing trees.

Cheers.

> OK, I've come to the realization that the ol' modem is just too slow.
> So now I want a broadband connection.  I'm more than 10 miles from the
> nearest CO, so DSL is out, right?  Adelphia's cable ends about 4 miles
> up the road.  My view of the southern sky is obstructed by part of a
> hill and some very tall trees, so it looks like even DirecWay is not
> viable.  My cell phone says "No service" at my house.  It looks like
> I'm in a dead zone for any current broadband option.  So, short of
> moving is there *anything* I can do to get a speedy connection? Does
> Adelphia extend their cable if potential customers lobby them?  Could
> Verizon build another CO closer to me?  Could a few hardy lumberjacks
> and some dynamite open up the view to the southern sky (and would it
> be worth it)?  Or is there perhaps some other broadband thing out
> there that will revolutionize access for deprived rural folk?

> Kip

Desperate for broadband!

Post by cruise » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 13:22:03

Have you considered ISDN?  128k isn't too bad and a heck of a lot better
than 56k dialup (if you are lucky enough to even get that much).  It
might be a little on the costly side.

Another option might be MLPPP.   MLPPP is essentially 2 dialup modems
tied together,  it's also known as "shotgunning".   Of course you would
need 2 separate phone lines and 2 modems.

How about a tall tower in the back yard to get above the hill and trees?

jm

> It would cost the cable company many thousand$$$ to extend their
cable.
>   Their not going to add 4 miles of cable unless they can service
> hundreds of customers.  Same goes for the phone company.

> Your best bet is to buy a chainsaw and go to it.  Since the FCC
requires
> a professional tech to install the dish, find and talk to a tech
before
> buying the equipment.  He/she may have another direction you can take
> other than killing a bunch of oxygen producing trees.

> Cheers.

>> OK, I've come to the realization that the ol' modem is just too slow.
>> So now I want a broadband connection.  I'm more than 10 miles from
the
>> nearest CO, so DSL is out, right?  Adelphia's cable ends about 4
miles
>> up the road.  My view of the southern sky is obstructed by part of a
>> hill and some very tall trees, so it looks like even DirecWay is not
>> viable.  My cell phone says "No service" at my house.  It looks like
>> I'm in a dead zone for any current broadband option.  So, short of
>> moving is there *anything* I can do to get a speedy connection? Does
>> Adelphia extend their cable if potential customers lobby them?  Could
>> Verizon build another CO closer to me?  Could a few hardy lumberjacks
>> and some dynamite open up the view to the southern sky (and would it
>> be worth it)?  Or is there perhaps some other broadband thing out
>> there that will revolutionize access for deprived rural folk?

>> Kip

Desperate for broadband!

Post by Supervisor 19 » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:06:32

Quote:>OK, I've come to the realization that the ol' modem is just too slow.
>So now I want a broadband connection.  I'm more than 10 miles from the
>nearest CO, so DSL is out, right?  Adelphia's cable ends about 4 miles
>up the road.  My view of the southern sky is obstructed by part of a
>hill and some very tall trees, so it looks like even DirecWay is not
>viable.  My cell phone says "No service" at my house.  It looks like
>I'm in a dead zone for any current broadband option.  So, short of
>moving is there *anything* I can do to get a speedy connection? Does
>Adelphia extend their cable if potential customers lobby them?  Could
>Verizon build another CO closer to me?  Could a few hardy lumberjacks
>and some dynamite open up the view to the southern sky (and would it
>be worth it)?  Or is there perhaps some other broadband thing out
>there that will revolutionize access for deprived rural folk?

>Kip

Check with the Satellite provider...  If trees are just blocking you
could be OK.

Desperate for broadband!

Post by Matt » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 15:47:23

Great ideas! A good example of a quality post.

> Have you considered ISDN?  128k isn't too bad and a heck of a lot better
> than 56k dialup (if you are lucky enough to even get that much).  It
> might be a little on the costly side.

> Another option might be MLPPP.   MLPPP is essentially 2 dialup modems
> tied together,  it's also known as "shotgunning".   Of course you would
> need 2 separate phone lines and 2 modems.

> How about a tall tower in the back yard to get above the hill and trees?

> jm

> > It would cost the cable company many thousand$$$ to extend their
> cable.
> >   Their not going to add 4 miles of cable unless they can service
> > hundreds of customers.  Same goes for the phone company.

> > Your best bet is to buy a chainsaw and go to it.  Since the FCC
> requires
> > a professional tech to install the dish, find and talk to a tech
> before
> > buying the equipment.  He/she may have another direction you can take
> > other than killing a bunch of oxygen producing trees.

> > Cheers.

> >> OK, I've come to the realization that the ol' modem is just too slow.
> >> So now I want a broadband connection.  I'm more than 10 miles from
> the
> >> nearest CO, so DSL is out, right?  Adelphia's cable ends about 4
> miles
> >> up the road.  My view of the southern sky is obstructed by part of a
> >> hill and some very tall trees, so it looks like even DirecWay is not
> >> viable.  My cell phone says "No service" at my house.  It looks like
> >> I'm in a dead zone for any current broadband option.  So, short of
> >> moving is there *anything* I can do to get a speedy connection? Does
> >> Adelphia extend their cable if potential customers lobby them?  Could
> >> Verizon build another CO closer to me?  Could a few hardy lumberjacks
> >> and some dynamite open up the view to the southern sky (and would it
> >> be worth it)?  Or is there perhaps some other broadband thing out
> >> there that will revolutionize access for deprived rural folk?

> >> Kip

Desperate for broadband!

Post by D R » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 16:51:01

> OK, I've come to the realization that the ol' modem is just too slow.
> So now I want a broadband connection.  I'm more than 10 miles from the
> nearest CO, so DSL is out, right?  Adelphia's cable ends about 4 miles
> up the road.  My view of the southern sky is obstructed by part of a

Can you get a line of sight between you and the area of the Adelphia end of
the line? If so you might put up a directional WiFi setup between your
house and that area. Lots of questions but if you can see from the roof
your house to the roof of someone there, it might be a go.

Desperate for broadband!

Post by $Bil » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 19:56:07

> OK, I've come to the realization that the ol' modem is just too slow.
> So now I want a broadband connection.  I'm more than 10 miles from the
> nearest CO, so DSL is out, right?  Adelphia's cable ends about 4 miles
> up the road.  My view of the southern sky is obstructed by part of a
> hill and some very tall trees, so it looks like even DirecWay is not
> viable.  My cell phone says "No service" at my house.  It looks like
> I'm in a dead zone for any current broadband option.  So, short of
> moving is there *anything* I can do to get a speedy connection? Does
> Adelphia extend their cable if potential customers lobby them?  Could
> Verizon build another CO closer to me?  Could a few hardy lumberjacks
> and some dynamite open up the view to the southern sky (and would it
> be worth it)?  Or is there perhaps some other broadband thing out
> there that will revolutionize access for deprived rural folk?

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe that it's not necessarily all the
way to the CO anymore.  I believe the PC has some sort of amplifiers
out in the field that extend the range.  You should check directly
with the PC and see if you're in the range of some field amplifier
or whatever they use to extend the DSL range.