I can provide my own cable modem. Which one? Where can I find this info?

I can provide my own cable modem. Which one? Where can I find this info?

Post by Hal Bake » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 06:23:06

Try

http://www.cabledatacomnews.com/cmic/docsiscm.html

Hal

Quote:> Cable service provider (Adelphia) says I can provide my own DOCSIS 1.0
> cable modem. Which one? Where can I find further info on cable modems?

I can provide my own cable modem. Which one? Where can I find this info?

Post by Peter J. Bertin » Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:38:54

Make sure they don't have a preapproved list of modems
that are to be used on their system.  Some cable providers
will only allow you to connect a modem that has been approved
by them.  Ask if they have a list of modems that you must use
before laying out cold cash.  I didn't ,  and I now own two new
modems.  One I can use,  and one new RCA paperweight.

Peter

Post by lacib.. » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 11:10:39

> Cable service provider (Adelphia) says I can provide my own DOCSIS 1.0
> cable modem. Which one? Where can I find further info on cable modems?

Interesting.  I called them two days ago and they said that I could not
buy a modem even if it would be exactly the same one that they
distribute (RCA DCM-225 in Pittsburgh area)
Where are you located?  If they lied to me I'm gonna raise the hell ;)

-L

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by olc-c.. » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:31:54

>Try

>http://www.cabledatacomnews.com/cmic/docsiscm.html

>Hal

>> Cable service provider (Adelphia) says I can provide my own DOCSIS 1.0
>> cable modem. Which one? Where can I find further info on cable modems?

Not sure how accurate this table is. I asked Cox before installation
and they said any DOCSIS modem so I bought a #COM HomeConnect "Shark
Fin". Works great but is does show up in their database as a Toshiba.

I can provide my own cable modem. Which one? Where can I find this info?

Post by Hal Bake » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 03:58:54

I am in Middle Ga (Cox). They basically said that any DOCSIS 1.1 modem would
do, hence the link to http://www.cabledatacomnews.com/cmic/docsiscm.html .
This just provided me with a starting point for my research. My son (Atlanta
area) has Charter and they do not allow you to purchase your own modem (as
yet anyway). Not sure what their criteria is for allowing it. The service
has been available less than 6 months in my area. Maybe they figure the more
people that have their own modems the less support they have to deal with?

Hal

Post by olc-c.. » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 05:50:57

>> Cable service provider (Adelphia) says I can provide my own DOCSIS 1.0
>> cable modem. Which one? Where can I find further info on cable modems?

>Interesting.  I called them two days ago and they said that I could not
>buy a modem even if it would be exactly the same one that they
>distribute (RCA DCM-225 in Pittsburgh area)
>Where are you located?  If they lied to me I'm gonna raise the hell ;)

>-L

I'm in San Diego.
Quote:>Sent via Deja.com

Post by olc-c.. » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 05:52:47

>I just spoke with them on the phone. I can supply my own DOCSIS cable
>modem. They do not have a particular model preference...just one of my
>own choice.

>I am in Carroll County, MD. This county is on the MD/PA line northwest
>of Baltimore. Adelphia bought out Prestige - the former cable
>franchisee. The cost is $29.95 (with cable TV service - which I already
>have) for 3-mbps/128-kbps. Leasing the modem would be $9.95 a month; in
>less than two years I can pay for it (hope I am satisfied with their
>service). This compares to DSL at $49.95 for 640k/90k and a free DSL
>adapter ($24.95 S&H) DSL adapter with Telocity.

>When I called the local cable TV office for information they forwarded
>me to "modem support". They said I first install the cable modem and
>then call {phone # sent via email}. They will then get the MAC address
>and enable service. Perhaps you could call this number to get a second
>opinion.

Just go ahead and do it. They can support it. Why give them a reason
to deny you.

>>Interesting.  I called them two days ago and they said that I could not
>>buy a modem even if it would be exactly the same one that they
>>distribute (RCA DCM-225 in Pittsburgh area)
>>Where are you located?  If they lied to me I'm gonna raise the hell ;)

1. Canned API for SLIP/PPP dialup scripting, Modem Config., etc?

I'm thinking about putting together a network application
a part of which is similar to the part of Tatam's Windows Trumpet
that establishes a SLIP/PPP conection over a modem. To save
some time, I was wondering if there is any kind of "canned"
API for:

        1) Managing a modem/script configuration file (like the
           protocol.ini and slip.ini files with Netmanage Chameleon)

        2) Doing the actual scripting (waiting for input strings,
           doing delays, waiting for modem control signals, sending
           output strings, getting IP addresses, etc)

        3) Doing the modem communications for initialization, settings,
           dialing, etc.

Every slip/ppp package that I've seen seems to have an ad-hoc
approach to this, some fancier than others...

--Jon Cardwell
Wayne State University

2. ClearVISN RMON software

3. Canned config for AS5100?

4. DOS BOX KEYBOARD HANGUP!!

5. AT&T Worldnet cans timeouts

6. OpenDriver returns OSErr == 2

7. Windsurfer Canned?!

8. SSII #4 (was Re: II Alive?)

9. Forget Tin Cans, These Gizmos Improve Wi-Fi Trouble Spots

10. East German Telephony (Two Tin Cans and a String?)

11. Serious @home questions on cans/cannots!

12. CANs (Controller area networks)

13. connecting 2 win95 cans with ipx