Cable connection for TV & Cable modem

Post by Terr » Sun, 10 Feb 2002 22:55:41

Hi

I been using a cable modem in a room where I have a connector coming from
the wall to the cable modem which been setup that way for several months.
When I had the tech. setup the cable modem at the time I didn't think about
tell him also put a splitter there in case I need to install a TV. Now I
would like to get a splitter to be install in the room to be able to have
cable modem and TV coming off the same line. Can someone tell me do I need
to get that splitter from the cable company or can I get one from Radio
Shack. If I can get it from Radio shack which one can I used? I really
didn't want the cable company send someone out to just install a splitter
and charge me for service.

Post by Hank » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 00:12:15

>Hi

>I been using a cable modem in a room where I have a connector coming from
>the wall to the cable modem which been setup that way for several months.
>When I had the tech. setup the cable modem at the time I didn't think about
>tell him also put a splitter there in case I need to install a TV. Now I
>would like to get a splitter to be install in the room to be able to have
>cable modem and TV coming off the same line. Can someone tell me do I need
>to get that splitter from the cable company or can I get one from Radio
>Shack. If I can get it from Radio shack which one can I used? I really
>didn't want the cable company send someone out to just install a splitter
>and charge me for service.

You'll probably get a lot of replies telling you not to do it.  My house was
pre-wired for cable by the builder.  Did a lousy job.  Years ago, due to
snowy pictures, the cable company ran a second line into the house and made
some other changes.  My office tv has snow on some channels, but I manage.

When I got cable modem service, the company split the original line comming
into the house and ran 1 leg to my office.  Recently, on a whim, I added a
splitter from the modem line to the tv.  The picture is absolutely beautiful
on all channels, and my modem service is not affected.  If you decide to try
it, get a good quality splitter.  Mine isn't that great, but it seems to
work well.  Yesterday, I saw one in Radio Shack (high frequency range, well
made) for around $10.00.  Worth a try.
Hank

Cable connection for TV & Cable modem

Post by Wes William » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:05:55

I don't think you should do it yourself.  The cable Co. here needs
between -10db ~ 0db for the cable modems, and the "regular" cable line is
more then this.  Unless you spend ~$5000 for a meter, you have no idea how
much attenuation you need.

My advice?  Call the cable Co.

Quote:> Hi

> I been using a cable modem in a room where I have a connector coming from
> the wall to the cable modem which been setup that way for several months.
> When I had the tech. setup the cable modem at the time I didn't think
about
> tell him also put a splitter there in case I need to install a TV. Now I
> would like to get a splitter to be install in the room to be able to have
> cable modem and TV coming off the same line. Can someone tell me do I need
> to get that splitter from the cable company or can I get one from Radio
> Shack. If I can get it from Radio shack which one can I used? I really
> didn't want the cable company send someone out to just install a splitter
> and charge me for service.

Cable connection for TV & Cable modem

Post by Wayne Canin » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 02:17:47

He's not trying to attenuate anything.  Quite the opposite in fact.   Get a
good quality spilitter and TRY it. Worst case - it's won't work to your
satisfaction. You'll know soon enough.

-W

> I don't think you should do it yourself.  The cable Co. here needs
> between -10db ~ 0db for the cable modems, and the "regular" cable line is
> more then this.  Unless you spend ~$5000 for a meter, you have no idea how
> much attenuation you need.

> My advice?  Call the cable Co.

> > Hi

> > I been using a cable modem in a room where I have a connector coming
from
> > the wall to the cable modem which been setup that way for several
months.
> > When I had the tech. setup the cable modem at the time I didn't think
> about
> > tell him also put a splitter there in case I need to install a TV. Now I
> > would like to get a splitter to be install in the room to be able to
have
> > cable modem and TV coming off the same line. Can someone tell me do I
need
> > to get that splitter from the cable company or can I get one from Radio
> > Shack. If I can get it from Radio shack which one can I used? I really
> > didn't want the cable company send someone out to just install a
splitter
> > and charge me for service.

Cable connection for TV & Cable modem

Post by Web Maste » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 07:08:32

do not buy the radio shack piece of shit splitters... they are bad news

> He's not trying to attenuate anything.  Quite the opposite in fact.   Get
> good quality spilitter and TRY it. Worst case - it's won't work to your
> satisfaction. You'll know soon enough.

> -W

> > I don't think you should do it yourself.  The cable Co. here needs
> > between -10db ~ 0db for the cable modems, and the "regular" cable line
is
> > more then this.  Unless you spend ~$5000 for a meter, you have no idea
how
> > much attenuation you need.

> > My advice?  Call the cable Co.

> > > Hi

> > > I been using a cable modem in a room where I have a connector coming
> from
> > > the wall to the cable modem which been setup that way for several
> months.
> > > When I had the tech. setup the cable modem at the time I didn't think
> > about
> > > tell him also put a splitter there in case I need to install a TV. Now
> > > would like to get a splitter to be install in the room to be able to
> have
> > > cable modem and TV coming off the same line. Can someone tell me do I
> need
> > > to get that splitter from the cable company or can I get one from
Radio
> > > Shack. If I can get it from Radio shack which one can I used? I really
> > > didn't want the cable company send someone out to just install a
> splitter
> > > and charge me for service.

Cable connection for TV & Cable modem

Post by Mike » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:12:35

Terry,

Buy a splitter with a frequency range (marked on the splitter)  of 5-1000
mHz.
2Way splitters usually attenuate about 3 -3.5dB.

Unless your signal level was marginal before,  one split should work.
Depending on what modem you have,  you may be able to bring up the modem
"configuration mgr" and read the signal levels.  http://192.168.100.1

If you can, levels between -15dB/mV and +15dB/mV are nominal.   If you're
seeing levels on the lower end...such as less than -10dB/mV without the
splitter,  splitting might not work.

Mike

Quote:> Hi

Post by nmober » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:28:59

>Terry,

>Buy a splitter with a frequency range (marked on the splitter)  of 5-1000
>mHz.
>2Way splitters usually attenuate about 3 -3.5dB.

>Unless your signal level was marginal before,  one split should work.
>Depending on what modem you have,  you may be able to bring up the modem
>"configuration mgr" and read the signal levels.  http://192.168.100.1

>If you can, levels between -15dB/mV and +15dB/mV are nominal.   If you're
>seeing levels on the lower end...such as less than -10dB/mV without the
>splitter,  splitting might not work.

Amazing.... Somebody actually offers knowledgable advice... Anything
that starts out at about -11 dbmv should be fine with a decent 5 to
1000  MHZ splitter.
It's not even close to rocket science.

Cable connection for TV & Cable modem

Post by nmober » Mon, 11 Feb 2002 11:29:51

On Sat, 09 Feb 2002 17:05:55 GMT, "Wes Williams"

>I don't think you should do it yourself.  The cable Co. here needs
>between -10db ~ 0db for the cable modems, and the "regular" cable line is
>more then this.  Unless you spend ~$5000 for a meter, you have no idea how
>much attenuation you need.

Where did you come up with this?

Cable connection for TV & Cable modem

Post by D F Bonnet » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 03:02:52

Just did exactly that with a Radio Shack splitter #15-2582. Works
fine.
YMMV
DFB

Quote:>Hi

Post by nmober » Wed, 13 Feb 2002 06:44:34

>The information provided will work for your modem end, but I can tell you if
>your are looking to put a television on the other side of that splitter and
>if you have the signal levels described, (i.e. -11dB) your pictures on the
>TV will be snowy.

That is a pretty crummy TV if it is snowy at -11dbmv.

Cable connection for TV & Cable modem

Post by Wayne Whistl » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 05:03:31

Mike,

I have a similar problem; i.e., can't get my cable modem to work after the
signal is split to WinTV.

I have been running a cable connection (RoadRunner) for 3 1/2 years.
Recently, I purchased a WinTV card and tried to split the signal from my cable
after it came out of the wall.  The WinTV would work, but the Toshiba modem
would not connect after I inserted a 5-1100Mz,3.5dB 2-way splitter.

I crawled up into the attic to check the configuration there.  The cable line
from TimeWarner has a isolation tap which separates my office cable (for the
modem) from an amplifier and the 10 connectins attached to it.

Is my problem (inability to connect both the TV video and modem) due to signal
strength, a faulty configuration, or components?

Also, I was interested in trying to "read signal levels" and tried to reach
(and ping) http://192.168.100.1 -- unsuccessfully.  Can you still access this
address?

Thanks,

Wayne

PS I didn't really need or want a TV window on my monitor until OfficeMax had
the card for $29.95 ($39.95 minus a $10 rebate).  Once  installed and working
(without the Internet connection), I decided it was a really nice option!

>Terry,

>Buy a splitter with a frequency range (marked on the splitter)  of 5-1000
>mHz.
>2Way splitters usually attenuate about 3 -3.5dB.

>Unless your signal level was marginal before,  one split should work.
>Depending on what modem you have,  you may be able to bring up the modem
>"configuration mgr" and read the signal levels.  http://192.168.100.1

>If you can, levels between -15dB/mV and +15dB/mV are nominal.   If you're
>seeing levels on the lower end...such as less than -10dB/mV without the
>splitter,  splitting might not work.

>Mike

>> Hi

>> I been using a cable modem in a room where I have a connector coming from
>> the wall to the cable modem which been setup that way for several months.
>> When I had the tech. setup the cable modem at the time I didn't think
>about
>> tell him also put a splitter there in case I need to install a TV. Now I
>> would like to get a splitter to be install in the room to be able to have
>> cable modem and TV coming off the same line. Can someone tell me do I need
>> to get that splitter from the cable company or can I get one from Radio
>> Shack. If I can get it from Radio shack which one can I used? I really
>> didn't want the cable company send someone out to just install a splitter
>> and charge me for service.

1. free tv, cable tv, and cable modem

I have two questions about free tv, cable tv, and cable modems.

I am currently re-architecting the distribution of coax in my house.
The previous owner of the house had cable tv and the installation was
horrible - involving long lengths of cable (RG-59 I think) strung along
the outside of the house, several splitters, and various drillings
through the wall where cable endpoints were desired.

I am preparing to get cable modem service.  I am not yet interested in
cable tv, but want to leave the option open.  I currently use free tv.

My new cable is run internally (through closets where necessary to
traverse stories) with RG-6.  I am running from roof antenna into
attic, through a 1-to-4 splitter (passing 4Hz - 1 GHz) with drops to
the 2nd floor and 1st floor.  Signal is already much better due to
shorter cable lengths and better cable (RG-6).

I am planning to run another cable from attic to 2nd floor for the
cable modem.  My research shows that the cable company will split the
incoming
signal into a cable tv signal and a cable modem signal inside my house
(does this splitter typically require an AC power connection?).

Questions:
(1) can I combine the cable tv and free tv signals before going into my
splitter in the attic so that both signals will run through one cable
(even though I won't be using the cable tv signal initially)? - will a
diplexer do
this? - or a standard splitter/combiner?
(2) does the cable modem signal have to be on its own cable (as I think
it does) or can it be combined with my current free tv cabling? -
(similar to first question.)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Epson Sylus Color 300 - Install on W2K

3. use cable modem cable for free cable tv?

4. AMI BIOS & NetWare 3.11 & IDE prob -> usernov.com

5. Cable TV and Cable Modem from same Cable Outlet

6. pgppine - decrypt problem

7. Security

8. Cable TV interference & Cable modem?

9. Cable modem & adding cable tv?

10. Cable Modem & Cable TV On Seperate Outlets?

11. Cable Modems & Cable TV

12. Cable Modem & Cable TV