Need some BASIC help for cable TV / internet / satellite wiring

Need some BASIC help for cable TV / internet / satellite wiring

Post by Manis » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:43:14

Hello

I am in the process of an addition to my house and had a couple of
questions if you don't mind.  When wiring the extension for comcast
cable TV,  cable high speed internet access, and satellite tv -- which
cables do I use?  Do I need separate cables for the 3, or will one
cable carry all the signals?

At home depot one guy told me to buy the 18/1, another said the CAT 5,
another said BOTH!!!  He confused me more than he helped me...

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me.

Thanks!

Need some BASIC help for cable TV / internet / satellite wiring

Post by Ed Nielse » Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:24:38

You'd be best off pulling 2 RG 6 and 2 CAT5e to each location
(homerun)(minimum).  A cable for phone and a separate cable for data.
Satellite TV and cable TV can coexist on the same cable, no problem, but
the cable modem really needs to have its own dedicated line.  It needs
to be connected via its own splitter (preferably a directional coupler
(tap)) and be the first connection in the system.  The other leg of the
splitter (or thru leg of the DC) then goes to the (amplifier, if more
than 3 outlets, then) distribution splitter.

CIAO!

Ed Nielsen
CENCOM
http://www.cencom94.com

> Hello

> I am in the process of an addition to my house and had a couple of
> questions if you don't mind.  When wiring the extension for comcast
> cable TV,  cable high speed internet access, and satellite tv -- which
> cables do I use?  Do I need separate cables for the 3, or will one
> cable carry all the signals?

> At home depot one guy told me to buy the 18/1, another said the CAT 5,
> another said BOTH!!!  He confused me more than he helped me...

> I was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me.

> Thanks!

1. Wiring for CATV and satellite TV: need 2 coax runs?

I'm wiring a new house with RG6U cable, home run from every future TV
location.  I'm including a couple of runs to the attic for future satellite
service (TV and/or data).  The house will first be served by the local cable
provider though.  Here's my question: if satellite service is added, does
each wall jack need to have 2 runs of coax....one for CATV and the other
dedicated for satellite?  Or is it possible to mux the satellite signal and
the CATV signal and shoot it through one wire?  Also, does each wall jack
need to have twisted pair for phone service, or only the locations with a
satellite decoder box?  Thanks,

                Tim Iafolla

2. Creating Graphs

3. Satellite TV & Wireless cable TV

4. How to replace damaged theme files?

5. Internet / Satellite / Cable TV ????

6. Consumer Opts For POTS

7. Neophyte needs help with wireless internet feed to cable tv system

8. T-Shirt Transfers 11 x 17 size available.

9. Need help: Apple Ethernet to Internet via Cable TV Fibre

10. Looking for Satellite TV, Internet, Phone Provider

11. Great long distance plan, internet service price, digital and satellite TV.

12. Satellite TV Orbits Closer to Cable

13. TV Alternative to Cable and Satellite???