Conduit Fill Question

Post by Ke » Tue, 29 Apr 2003 13:18:13

When applying the maximum conduit fill limits of the NEC, do these
apply to risers as well. By conduit I assume thay mean tubing of some
sort that goes for more then say 10 or 20 feet. By risers I mean short
tubes that connect floors.

Conduit Fill Question

Post by Justin T. Claus » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 01:37:07

> When applying the maximum conduit fill limits of the NEC, do these
> apply to risers as well. By conduit I assume thay mean tubing of some
> sort that goes for more then say 10 or 20 feet. By risers I mean short
> tubes that connect floors.

Conduits are conduits, whether a foot long used for a sleeve (riser or
horizontal) or 100 feet long.
On a side point, what's the NEC fill limit?  Is it the same as what
BICSI has in the TDMM, or it different?

Conduit Fill Question

Post by Justin Ti » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 02:38:41

> When applying the maximum conduit fill limits of the NEC, do these
> apply to risers as well. By conduit I assume thay mean tubing of some
> sort that goes for more then say 10 or 20 feet. By risers I mean short
> tubes that connect floors.

In general, the answer is yes as you didn't specifiy the cable being
used or the section of the NEC you are referring to.  Be aware that
certain sections of the NEC are "Stand-alone" and the only time other
sections of the code apply is when they are specifically mentioned in
the stand-alone section.  Chapter 8 is one of those sections that is
stand-alone so other rules do not apply unless they are specifically
called out in the chapter.

The final authority in any case is your local authority having
jurisdiction.  If your local inspector says this is what you need or
must do, then that is what you need or must do.

Conduit Fill Question

Post by Ke » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:21:09

> > When applying the maximum conduit fill limits of the NEC, do these
> > apply to risers as well. By conduit I assume thay mean tubing of some
> > sort that goes for more then say 10 or 20 feet. By risers I mean short
> > tubes that connect floors.

> Conduits are conduits, whether a foot long used for a sleeve (riser or
> horizontal) or 100 feet long.
> On a side point, what's the NEC fill limit?  Is it the same as what
> BICSI has in the TDMM, or it different?

The NEC says 40% fill more or less. It depends on the number of
conductors. There are several formulas to use to compute this exactly.
Belden has a nice discussion on their web site as does Superior Essex.

1. gel filling conduit?

Does this make any sense?

Run 3/8" HDPE tube in outdoor underground trench.

Blow in indoor rated zipcord fiber optic cable.

Pump "waterblocking gel" into HDPE tube after you are
done to protect cable.

Questions:

What is that waterblocking gel that is in
outdoor cables? Can you buy it by the gallon?

Is it related, and how, to the "encapsulant" that
you put in outdoor splice chambers?

Is it costly enough to make this scheme not interesting
on a cost per foot basis?

Why do it?

If you have lots of relatively short outdoor runs the
cost of splicing pigtails onto outdoor gel filled cables
might be more than this scheme.

2. MRTG interval?? Less than 5 minutes?

3. Conduit Fill Ratios

4. <<<STOP>>> <<<READ ABOUT THESE>>> SAP R/3 Opportunities

5. Pulling cables out of filled conduit

6. Draggable Picasso96 screens?

7. PIX: Static, Conduit question.

8. win16 problem with novell client

9. Pix Conduit Question

10. PIX Conduit question..

11. PIX Config - Can Conduit Questions

12. PIX conduit command question

13. Firewall Conduit command question...