Comcast does not allow .exe executable files on personal websites !?

Comcast does not allow .exe executable files on personal websites !?

Post by Chris Spenc » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:32:25

"Creating a ZIP file is no big deal"

You've missed the point.  Creating a ZIP file is no big deal.  The
fact that every single person who visits the site must know what a ZIP
file is, and have a tool to open it, IS a big deal.

The "virus prevention" spin is nonsense. Are they going to block Java,
Active Scripting, screensavers, .com files as well?  Of course not.

Comcast does not allow .exe executable files on personal websites !?

Post by John Nava » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 05:37:13

[POSTED TO comp.dcom.modems.cable - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

Quote:>"Creating a ZIP file is no big deal"

>You've missed the point.  Creating a ZIP file is no big deal.  The
>fact that every single person who visits the site must know what a ZIP
>file is, and have a tool to open it, IS a big deal.

>The "virus prevention" spin is nonsense. Are they going to block Java,
>Active Scripting, screensavers, .com files as well?  ...

Sounds good to me.  They are all hazards.

--
Best regards,
John Navas     <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/>

Post by Ed Wensell II » Sun, 13 Jul 2003 07:56:05

> "Creating a ZIP file is no big deal"

> You've missed the point.  Creating a ZIP file is no big deal.  The
> fact that every single person who visits the site must know what a ZIP
> file is, and have a tool to open it, IS a big deal.

> The "virus prevention" spin is nonsense. Are they going to block Java,
> Active Scripting, screensavers, .com files as well?  Of course not.

Well, this doesn't fix the problem, but you could could simply rename
the file to another binary file type...

        myfile.exe -> myfile.change_bin_to_exe_after_dl.bin

Maybe make a note on your webpage about it... Maybe with instructions on
how to rename the file before (with Save As) and after (if they don't
get a chance to name it) the download. Not as easy as a direct download,
but easier than dealing with ZIPs.

FWIW, I sent Comcast a note through their contact link about the .EXE
issue... Basically asking if the site supports cgi-bin, and if not why
the server is trying to execute .exe's . All I got back was instructions
from 'Dale' on how to setup 'MyWebPage' for the first time... Then they
knocked my web page off the air for a few hours (dunno if it was
intentional). I might try their live chat sometime soon.

--
Ed Wensell III - E-mail address is valid if you know the right bits to
drop.

There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home.
- Ken Olsen, President & founder of Digital Equipment Corp, 1977