Charter cable and Surfboard modem problems

Charter cable and Surfboard modem problems

Post by Vince F. Bun » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 04:17:47

The other day I began experiencing drop-off.  This happened a couple
of times of day, which grew to a few times a day, and now it's every
hour on the hour.  The way the modem looks is that the four green
lights are not solid, and the SEND light blinks on and off, while the
lights below that remain unlit.  It remains this way anywhere from two
minutes to two hours.  The thing that's bothering me is that I just
got a new computer (Dell Dimension 8300), and I hope it has nothing to
do with that.  (Previous to this, it worked fine for two years with a
Dell Dimension XPS-T.)  The other difference is that the new computer
has Windows XP, and the older one had Windows 98.

My question is, what does it really mean which the lights on the modem
act in this way.  (Sorry, I'm not a techie.)  The other thing is, I
live in Easthampton, Mass.  I'm wondering if any of you out there in
this area experienced the same thing over the past week or so.

Thanks,
Bundy

Charter cable and Surfboard modem problems

Post by Yen1 » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 05:26:12

Quote:> The other day I began experiencing drop-off.  This happened a couple
> of times of day, which grew to a few times a day, and now it's every
> hour on the hour.  The way the modem looks is that the four green
> lights are not solid, and the SEND light blinks on and off, while the
> lights below that remain unlit.  It remains this way anywhere from two
> minutes to two hours.  The thing that's bothering me is that I just
> got a new computer (Dell Dimension 8300), and I hope it has nothing to
> do with that.  (Previous to this, it worked fine for two years with a
> Dell Dimension XPS-T.)  The other difference is that the new computer
> has Windows XP, and the older one had Windows 98.

> My question is, what does it really mean which the lights on the modem
> act in this way.  (Sorry, I'm not a techie.)  The other thing is, I
> live in Easthampton, Mass.  I'm wondering if any of you out there in
> this area experienced the same thing over the past week or so.

> Thanks,
> Bundy

This will explain your problems, as well as being an good site for cable
modem info

http://www.rodmac.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Upstream.htm
--
Yen

Post by davexne » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 13:53:09

Quote:>The other day I began experiencing drop-off.  This happened a couple
>of times of day, which grew to a few times a day, and now it's every
>hour on the hour.  The way the modem looks is that the four green
>lights are not solid, and the SEND light blinks on and off, while the
>lights below that remain unlit.  It remains this way anywhere from two
>minutes to two hours.  The thing that's bothering me is that I just
>got a new computer (Dell Dimension 8300), and I hope it has nothing to
>do with that.  (Previous to this, it worked fine for two years with a
>Dell Dimension XPS-T.)  The other difference is that the new computer
>has Windows XP, and the older one had Windows 98.

>My question is, what does it really mean which the lights on the modem
>act in this way.  (Sorry, I'm not a techie.)  The other thing is, I
>live in Easthampton, Mass.  I'm wondering if any of you out there in
>this area experienced the same thing over the past week or so.

>Thanks,
>Bundy

Navigate to 192.168.100.1 and see if you can get a diagnostic
log out of the modem.
May be helpful..
Dave

Charter cable and Surfboard modem problems

Post by Vince F. Bun » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 21:55:06

Thanks for all your input.  The other thing I should also mention is
that whenever this problem happens, I get an error message on my
desktop saying that a device has been "unplugged."

This worries me, as it almost sounds like the problem is coming from
my computer.  So, I did a test.  When the modem was working properly,
I unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of the modem.  I got the
same error message (of course), but the lights on the front of the
modem acted exactly in the same manner as they did when I got the real
error.  Upon plugging the ethernet cable back in, the modem still
remained offline.

My question is...the error message.  Would it be normal for that
message to appear if it WASN'T a problem with my computer?  If I do
the same test (as above) and unplug the outside cable from the back of
the modem, I do NOT get this error message.  So, it seems to be
something between the ethernet cable and my computer.

Of course, I'm not sure...so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks,
Bundy

> >The other day I began experiencing drop-off.  This happened a couple
> >of times of day, which grew to a few times a day, and now it's every
> >hour on the hour.  The way the modem looks is that the four green
> >lights are not solid, and the SEND light blinks on and off, while the
> >lights below that remain unlit.  It remains this way anywhere from two
> >minutes to two hours.  The thing that's bothering me is that I just
> >got a new computer (Dell Dimension 8300), and I hope it has nothing to
> >do with that.  (Previous to this, it worked fine for two years with a
> >Dell Dimension XPS-T.)  The other difference is that the new computer
> >has Windows XP, and the older one had Windows 98.

> >My question is, what does it really mean which the lights on the modem
> >act in this way.  (Sorry, I'm not a techie.)  The other thing is, I
> >live in Easthampton, Mass.  I'm wondering if any of you out there in
> >this area experienced the same thing over the past week or so.

> >Thanks,
> >Bundy
> Navigate to 192.168.100.1 and see if you can get a diagnostic
> log out of the modem.
> May be helpful..
> Dave

Charter cable and Surfboard modem problems

Post by Ski9 » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 10:39:44

Just as a test, connect the modem to your desktop via the usb
connection..then load the software drivers that came with it, .this is
always a good test to see if winXP is acting up in the network department.
Try going back and forth between the two types of connections to see which
is more stable...Just some food for thought..Good luck

                        Northeast Cableguy

> Thanks for all your input.  The other thing I should also mention is
> that whenever this problem happens, I get an error message on my
> desktop saying that a device has been "unplugged."

> This worries me, as it almost sounds like the problem is coming from
> my computer.  So, I did a test.  When the modem was working properly,
> I unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of the modem.  I got the
> same error message (of course), but the lights on the front of the
> modem acted exactly in the same manner as they did when I got the real
> error.  Upon plugging the ethernet cable back in, the modem still
> remained offline.

> My question is...the error message.  Would it be normal for that
> message to appear if it WASN'T a problem with my computer?  If I do
> the same test (as above) and unplug the outside cable from the back of
> the modem, I do NOT get this error message.  So, it seems to be
> something between the ethernet cable and my computer.

> Of course, I'm not sure...so that's why I'm asking.

> Thanks,
> Bundy

> > >The other day I began experiencing drop-off.  This happened a couple
> > >of times of day, which grew to a few times a day, and now it's every
> > >hour on the hour.  The way the modem looks is that the four green
> > >lights are not solid, and the SEND light blinks on and off, while the
> > >lights below that remain unlit.  It remains this way anywhere from two
> > >minutes to two hours.  The thing that's bothering me is that I just
> > >got a new computer (Dell Dimension 8300), and I hope it has nothing to
> > >do with that.  (Previous to this, it worked fine for two years with a
> > >Dell Dimension XPS-T.)  The other difference is that the new computer
> > >has Windows XP, and the older one had Windows 98.

> > >My question is, what does it really mean which the lights on the modem
> > >act in this way.  (Sorry, I'm not a techie.)  The other thing is, I
> > >live in Easthampton, Mass.  I'm wondering if any of you out there in
> > >this area experienced the same thing over the past week or so.

> > >Thanks,
> > >Bundy
> > Navigate to 192.168.100.1 and see if you can get a diagnostic
> > log out of the modem.
> > May be helpful..
> > Dave

Charter cable and Surfboard modem problems

Post by Pete » Sat, 12 Jul 2003 17:53:04

Quote:>Thanks for all your input.  The other thing I should also mention is
>that whenever this problem happens, I get an error message on my
>desktop saying that a device has been "unplugged."

>This worries me, as it almost sounds like the problem is coming from
>my computer.  So, I did a test.  When the modem was working properly,
>I unplugged the ethernet cable from the back of the modem.  I got the
>same error message (of course), but the lights on the front of the
>modem acted exactly in the same manner as they did when I got the real
>error.  Upon plugging the ethernet cable back in, the modem still
>remained offline.

>My question is...the error message.  Would it be normal for that
>message to appear if it WASN'T a problem with my computer?  If I do
>the same test (as above) and unplug the outside cable from the back of
>the modem, I do NOT get this error message.  So, it seems to be
>something between the ethernet cable and my computer.

>Of course, I'm not sure...so that's why I'm asking.

>Thanks,
>Bundy

It's not your computer. When the modem resets after not getting sync,
it momentarily appears to be disconnected. If you don't have 4 solid
green lights on the modem, then the problem is the modem or the signal
coming in to it anyway. If you go to yourr diagnostic screen I'm
guessing you are going to see an upstream power level* right
around 55-58 db. Call the cable company and have them come out and
check things out for you. It could be that your house has old cable
coming to it, a bad line amp, or even that the original installation
was wired incorrectly (modem should be coming off the first split).

Good Luck