FTP CABLE MODEM

Post by Jason Jeannere » Mon, 29 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I want to be able to use my Cable Modem "road runner" in order to host a FTP
site.  ex. Have people download files from my HD to theirs.  First, is it
possible, and second how?

FTP CABLE MODEM

Post by George Maren » Tue, 30 Jun 1998 04:00:00

On Sun, 28 Jun 1998 22:27:20 GMT, "Jason Jeanneret"

>I want to be able to use my Cable Modem "road runner" in order to host a FTP
>site.  ex. Have people download files from my HD to theirs.  First, is it
>possible, and second how?

Yes, it's certainly possible. Go right here:

http://www.winfiles.com/apps/98/servers-ftp.html

Be careful about setting up your ftp server - a mistake and even a
low-skill hacker and wreck your computer.

Also be advised that setting up an FTP server may violate your user
agreement with the provider.

I start my FTP server program up from time to time to transfer files
to and from work, but not generally as a repository for friends and
acquaintances.

FTP CABLE MODEM

Post by Michael H. Raffer » Mon, 13 Jul 1998 04:00:00

>On Sun, 28 Jun 1998 22:27:20 GMT, "Jason Jeanneret"

>>I want to be able to use my Cable Modem "road runner" in order to host a FTP
>>site.  ex. Have people download files from my HD to theirs.  First, is it
>>possible, and second how?

>Yes, it's certainly possible. Go right here:

>http://www.winfiles.com/apps/98/servers-ftp.html

>Be careful about setting up your ftp server - a mistake and even a
>low-skill hacker and wreck your computer.

>Also be advised that setting up an FTP server may violate your user
>agreement with the provider.

>I start my FTP server program up from time to time to transfer files
>to and from work, but not generally as a repository for friends and
>acquaintances.

You might lookup at www.ftpd.com this is what I use at work. Remember for
security you should have incoming directories that can be written and not
seen/listed and outgoing directories you can list and read but not write to.